Poll: Would you prefer Raids as Adventures?

Deleted

Would you prefer Raids as Adventures?

What ho,

Raids are fairly simplistic in terms of layout and gameplay. You go in, kill trash mobs, kill bosses, and move out. This is fine, and it obviously does the job. But thinking about it, it feels like there is more potential to raids than what is currently being realised.

What if they were instead thought of as giant adventures?

• More intricate layouts.
    • Random events like chests and rare spawns.
    • Random quests each week that appear throughout the raid and apply to the entire raid (to avoid chaos).
    • Dynamic content that changes as you progress; after killing a few bosses the next boss might crash into the raid and burn the place down, changing the dungeon completely.
    • Gated content, i.e. each week you play the raid as a guild, something new becomes accessible that you hadn't seen before. Not bosses necessarily, but little bonus events and perhaps some lore.

I'm not a raider at the present, so I can't really look at this from the perspective of one. Maybe this all just sounds really cumbersome and annoying to raiders. But to me, at least, it would make raiding more appealing.

10+ Year Old Account
    That'd make for good solo or small group content, but as a raider, and an officer of a struggling raiding guild, it sounds like a nightmare. It would completely negate any real sense of progression.

Perhaps have this sort of thing be triggered if, say, the raid leader has downed the final boss on the highest difficulty already, otherwise it would be set up like normal. Or just a setting you can switch on and off.

Raids have always been an adventure for me, ever since vanilla.

The adventure of defeating epic bosses with friends or guilds. Overcoming certain bosses abilities or struggles and progress and improve your character and get closer to the end boss.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vouksh89 View Post
    That'd make for good solo or small group content, but as a raider, and an officer of a struggling raiding guild, it sounds like a nightmare. It would completely negate any real sense of progression.

Perhaps have this sort of thing be triggered if, say, the raid leader has downed the final boss on the highest difficulty already, otherwise it would be set up like normal. Or just a setting you can switch on and off.
    Gotcha! I appreciate your input as a raider.

This idea might be more suited for non-raiders like myself, who don't really have a great insight into raiding but still want some form of organized endgame akin to what you get in the open world.

Your spin on the idea seems great, though. It would leave the progression intact and then offer something to make for a more exciting raid night during those long months on farm mode.

Sounds great, so now what about 3 years between teirs or what?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafter View Post
    Raids have always been an adventure for me, ever since vanilla.

The adventure of defeating epic bosses with friends or guilds. Overcoming certain bosses abilities or struggles and progress and improve your character and get closer to the end boss.
    I agree with you in principle - there is a sense of adventure about going in there to down an epic boss. The encounters themselves I have nothing against (based on what little experience I have). It's more about "the rest of it". Time between bosses, or when the raid is on farm mode.

But again, considering I don't actively raid nowadays I can't really speak too much of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vouksh89 View Post

Voted No because of these reasons. Raiding main difficulty is keeping a group of people together for a long period of time and working together, you *can* raid with a "volatile" group, but a stable weekly group will progress much faster. It is already hard enough now on straightforward raids, don't think we need more complexity there, would indeed be a nightmare.

However, it does sound really great as small group content, like a huge instanced quest you can do with maybe 3-5 players? Even as solo content, would love to see something like you describe, as an alternative/complementary path to raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not all, but as an experiment, why not? Have one raid that takes place in an open region (think of a normal zone instead of a dungeon). Some things are static, for example 2 bosses will always spawn, other things spawn at random. 3 out of 10 events, with a chance of additional mini events spawning.

As an experiment, why not. Expand the scenarios to be raid size and the difficulty needs to be upped accordingly. But why not something like Troves of the Thunderking or Brewmoon Festival as a raid event? But everytime? No, that takes way to much time to implement. Else all future raids would never have more then maybe 3 or 4 bosses, because the designers would also have to implement the events.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hrm, I kind of like this as a way of repurposing old raids instead of a timewalker feature. Go in solo or with a 5 man group, have it slightly set to scale so it has some measure of challenge, but it's not an actual raid. Essentially take them and make them BRD style dungeons or a solo scenario. It would spice things up a bit.

That said, unless it is done exceedingly well, I don't think it would have a chance. The only reason I have done old raids is for transmog loot and mounts/pets. I'm done with raiding as is and won't suffer through another LFR. I don't think many people would be interested in this style of 'raid'.

I completely agree with you on this topic, being a raider myself. More interaction with the raid I think would be a great thing. Some things I thought in the past were at least interesting were the runes you had to extinguish in molten core to eventually reach ragnaros, making instances feel more like places with friendly areas in them (grim guzzler in BRD, foyer in ICC), the changing weekly quests in ToT, the ZA gauntlet, the random treasure chests after certain bosses in BRF, the gem vendors in DS, etc. Things like this make raids feel more epic (to me at least). I think blizzard needs to do more of this in each raid they design.