Possible CPU bottleneck?

FIXED I went into msconfig and de-checked "number of processors" in the advanced boot options tab. Here is a video showing how it was done (I have windows 8.1 so it's not only for windows 7) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXLDhR1FMqQ

Hello!

I've recently been having this problem with my CPU that when I play a game, doesn't really matter which game, my CPU usage goes up to 95-100% constantly. My computer is always responsive though, it just gets really hot. I've tried lowering graphic settings, updating drivers, scanning my computer with Avast and I've run CCcleaner. Nothing changes. For example, GTA V and Reign of Kings both demand 95-100% of my CPU for some reason.

My processor is an Intel-i5 4670K and I have a Radeon r9 290 graphics card.

Any ideas what hte problem might be? I'm kind of afraid of playing games when my processor is working that much.

UPDATE:

Seems like two of my cores aren't detected by windows in some manner. I've tried forcing the usage of 4 cores directly from the bios instead of leaving it on auto but nothing changes. I've updated the bios, nothing.

Does anyone have any idea at all how to activate these "missing" cores if not in the bios? I'm getting desperate!
    Last edited by mittacc; 2015-05-12 at 12:16 PM.

Lowering graphics settings doesn't always have an impact on CPU usage. Things like resolution, texture quality, AA will have no impact on it, but things like view distance will. If your CPU is at 90+% in games that's not really an issue as long as temperature isn't too high. Generally anything below 70C is fine for silicon chips.

I suggest you download a program like CPUID hardware mentor and check your temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Heltoray View Post
    boxed cooler and overclock?
    Stock cooler and not overclocked. I'm planning on buying a new cooler and overclocking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    Lowering graphics settings doesn't always have an impact on CPU usage. Things like resolution, texture quality, AA will have no impact on it, but things like view distance will. If your CPU is at 90+% in games that's not really an issue as long as temperature isn't too high. Generally anything below 70C is fine for silicon chips.

I suggest you download a program like CPUID hardware mentor and check your temps.
    I already have that and my CPU usually goes up to 60-63 degrees celcius

10+ Year Old Account
    60-63 is actually a very normal temperature under load, especially using the stock cooler.

As long as your framerate is solid, (which, with that graphics card, it should be), then you really have nothing to worry about. If you start having FPS issues in, for example, GTA V, try turning down settings such as population density and variety, and view distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vouksh89 View Post
    60-63 is actually a very normal temperature under load, especially using the stock cooler.

As long as your framerate is solid, (which, with that graphics card, it should be), then you really have nothing to worry about. If you start having FPS issues in, for example, GTA V, try turning down settings such as population density and variety, and view distance.
    Correction, apparently it does go all the way up to 70 http://gyazo.com/50efc38f1ccdf2465e763d217e409c69

I would say that you should continue on buying the cooler you suggested.

Also, since Intel wants to guarantee stability under all circumstances, "auto" on vCore will feed your CPU more than it necessarily needs.
    With Haswell (such as yours), voltage = heat. So manually setting your vCore to 1.1 could solve immediate heat problems even without underclocking.

Also, 70°C is nothing to be worried about with the stock cooler. Under toasty loads (OCCTPT, large packets), you can reach 90+°C using stock configurations and coolers. Linpack with AVX2 is even worse.
    I'm still adjusting my 4770k summer overclock (4.5GHz, 1.325vCore), but I am running into high 70's of °C running "medium heat stability checks", even with a Noctua NH-D14.

Do you have two cores disabled, or is it just a HWMonitor reading error?
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2015-05-10 at 04:38 PM.

Deleted
    sup, even 70°c sounds normal, sitll is 20°c away from tj max ( maximum temp) nothing to worry specially since we are getting into the warm seasons, if you want a good and very cheap cooler , cooler master evo, if u want a beast of cooler noctua nh-d15 is also quiet as a ninja

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I would say that you should continue on buying the cooler you suggested.

Also, since Intel wants to guarantee stability under all circumstances, "auto" on vCore will feed your CPU more than it necessarily needs.
    With Haswell (such as yours), voltage = heat. So manually setting your vCore to 1.1 could solve immediate heat problems even without underclocking.

Also, 70°C is nothing to be worried about with the stock cooler. Under toasty loads (OCCTPT, large packets), you can reach 90+°C using stock configurations and coolers. Linpack with AVX2 is even worse.
    I'm still adjusting my 4770k summer overclock (4.5GHz, 1.325vCore), but I am running into high 70's of °C running "medium heat stability checks", even with a Noctua NH-D14.

Do you have two cores disabled, or is it just a HWMonitor reading error?

Not sure! How do I check and enable/disable it? This is my first build so I'm new to this kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    Not sure! How do I check and enable/disable it? This is my first build so I'm new to this kind of stuff.
    Either exit/re-launch the HWMonitor executable, or if that is inconclusive reboot into UEFI/BIOS to see how many cores are reported in the "advanced frequency" thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vouksh89 View Post

GTA V gets really stuttery and fluctuates heavily between 20-80 fps and gives me rendering issues when I haven't locked it to 30fps ith Vsync. I installed the new GTA V beta drivers from AMD when it came out but it didn't help. The graphical glitches has almsot become extinct but the fps issue is really noticable when I don't lock it to 30.

I want to use my 144Hz monitor to its full potential! :c

GTA V gets really stuttery and fluctuates heavily between 20-80 fps and gives me rendering issues when I haven't locked it to 30fps ith Vsync. I installed the new GTA V beta drivers from AMD when it came out but it didn't help. The graphical glitches has almsot become extinct but the fps issue is really noticable when I don't lock it to 30.

I want to use my 144Hz monitor to its full potential! :c
    You wouldn't be getting anywhere near 144FPS on that rig anyway :P
    Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    More amusing than that is the fact that the entire basis behind Sinestra as a lore character is that she was the only dragon who was able to withstand the power of Deathwing's cock.

Quote Originally Posted by Samfisher View Post
    You wouldn't be getting anywhere near 144FPS on that rig anyway :P
    Depends on the settings, which he hasn't really mentioned!
    He's probably trying to run everything active though.
    High would give him 69 min 91~avg so probably a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Either exit/re-launch the HWMonitor executable, or if that is inconclusive reboot into UEFI/BIOS to see how many cores are reported in the "advanced frequency" thingy.
    It said "CPU core enabled 4 |auto| [slider]", only 2 cores show up in HWmonitor.

My processor is an Intel-i5 4670K and I have a Radeon r9 290 graphics card.
    same processor and graphics card i have but i got rid of the stock cooler and bought a decent one and not been having any problems with it
    Last edited by fgzdon; 2015-05-10 at 05:21 PM.

Seems like two of my cores aren't detected by windows in some manner. I've tried forcing the usage of 4 cores directly from the bios instead of leaving it on auto but nothing changes. I've updated the bios, nothing.

Does anyone have any idea at all how to activate these "missing" cores if not in the bios? I'm getting desperate!