Deleted

Which lvl 100 talent for which situation as Unholy?

Hey guys.

I've hit lvl 100 on my Unholy DK very recently and I feel that I already have an alright grasp on the general playstyle, due to having played DK in MoP already.

However, I am unsure about which lvl 100 talent to pick in which situation. I've read several guides, but none of them were very clear in that regard.

If you could tell me how you decide which talent to pick for specific fights, that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Breath of Sindragosa on a single target/on two-target cleave in some situations.

NP everywhere else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiyendra View Post
    Breath of Sindragosa on a single target/on two-target cleave in some situations.

NP everywhere else.
    Thanks! Defile is not currently worth using at all right now, I take it?

Defile is the best option for challenge mode.

In raids... I cannot see it being used otherwise than trash cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Stalin View Post
    Thanks! Defile is not currently worth using at all right now, I take it?
    Yes, you should never use Defile except as an alternative to BoS if you aren't comfortable with the latter. Basically for each fight it's something like this:
    Gruul: BoS
    Oregorger: BoS
    Blast Furnace: NP

Hans/Franz: BoS or NP
    Flamebender: NP
    Kromog: NP

Beastlord: NP
    Thogar: NP
    Iron Maidens: NP

Blackhand: BoS

Deleted
    I understand. Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it.

One last question about BoS, while I'm here:

As far as I understand, you try to maximize BoS uptime. But how do you manage Shadow Infusion stacks and Dark Transformation? Do you try to get to 5 stacks, cast Dark Transformation, then use BoS or do you use BoS first and then start stacking Shadow Infusion?
    Last edited by mmoc929869f8d6; 2015-05-10 at 07:39 PM.

Deleted
    You'll gain Shadow Infusion stacks while BoS is active.

How long is Unholy able to keep BoS up? Do they also make use of Glyph of Icy Runes like Blood DKs?

Edit: Read the 'Should I be using glyph of icy runes as UH?' thread and it seems Glyph of Icy Runes is a dps loss for Unholy, even if it extends breath
    Last edited by Nayami; 2015-05-11 at 01:22 PM.

No, unholy does not use that glyph.

Never use glyph of icy runes, it basically stops you been able to use festering strike which generates the most runic power for you. The first BoS should last 30 seconds or so assuming you pop it at 0 seconds (ie once the boss is pulled). After that it can be a bit tricky but you should aim for around 15-20

Would defile be the ideal talent in dungeons? And doing dailies?

Deleted
    Not sure why Icy Veins recommends Defile for pve and then says that if the target moves at all from it, then NP is better. Are there actually any bosses that don't move at all or need to be moved during the encounter?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Would defile be the ideal talent in dungeons? And doing dailies?
    Probably, dungeon bosses are usually very static. Quest mobs don't matter, you can go talentless and still not feel it.

In 6.2 i would say defile is even less valuable than now. The adds move a fair bit or are spread out. This makes NP a winner. For ST just roll 2h frost if its an option (Defiantly worth it if you are rocking 4 set+trinket).

as someone who never tried BoS with UH so far - can someone explain where do you actually get the necessary RP to sustain BoS in UH ?

in Blood you get lots of RP from multistrikes + possibly icy rune usage and even then its possible to run out

UH has no RP from multistrikes and no icy rune for extra RP .. doesnt BoS run out real quick in UH ?

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    as someone who never tried BoS with UH so far - can someone explain where do you actually get the necessary RP to sustain BoS in UH ?

in Blood you get lots of RP from multistrikes + possibly icy rune usage and even then its possible to run out

UH has no RP from multistrikes and no icy rune for extra RP .. doesnt BoS run out real quick in UH ?
    You should have full (or almost full) rp and all runes up before you activate BoS. Then you spam FeS and SS til you have no runes, use sudden doom procs, use plague leach, new double FeS + SS, then Empower Rune Weapon and spam more FeS and SS. In addition you should soak some magic damage with AMS somewhere in this, which fills your RP bar again, this should last you aprox 20-40 sec.

proper guide:
    http://summonstone.com/deathknight/unholy/

Quote Originally Posted by Elodia View Post
    Not sure why Icy Veins recommends Defile for pve and then says that if the target moves at all from it, then NP is better. Are there actually any bosses that don't move at all or need to be moved during the encounter?
    Don't use Icy-veins anymore. Try out summonstone. I feel it's the best when it comes to rotation, class-specific boss strats, etc.

Deleted
    The guide on icy veins was the reason why I made this thread in the first place. It struck me as a little odd.

Thanks for mentioning summonstone, by the way. I checked it out and was pleasantly surprised.