Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    There's a lot more back and core involved when it comes to lifting things that can't be cleanly grabbed and lifted, like furniture.
    This.

Quit exercising your glamour muscles and start working out your core, and maybe you'll be as strong as Dad one day.

Biggest problem here is your comparing Arms and Chest vs core and legs. Sounds to me like someone has been skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by ice216 View Post
    Biggest problem here is your comparing Arms and Chest vs core and legs. Sounds to me like someone has been skipping leg day
    One of the funniest sights is the guy at the gym with a huge upper body and toothpicks for legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    While the efficiency mentioned above may play a small part...

What many body builders (among others) seemingly forget is that you can't magically change your frame. If your father has even say a 10% larger upper body, he will always be stronger than you (age permitting) in tasks that require upper body strength. It doesn't matter how much you can bench or how big your arms are, even a few percent of extra upper body muscle surface area will trounce even super fit people with less.

This is why even Schwarzenegger status women still can't match an obese male couch potato in upper body strength, their frame is simply too small.
    A whole lot of what was said here is false. Frame can facilitate the growth of more muscle, because you have a greater area to adhere muscle to, but it doesn't just happen. There's a lot that contributes to strength. Muscle development is one. Cardiovascular development can contribute to your ability to utilize those muscles. Your genetic makeup and 'control' also contribute to how strong you are. The more able to finely control things, the less likely you are to have exceptional peak strength. This is because your muscles consist of different fibers that deliver different degrees of power.

One of the biggest contributors to functional strength is just being used to compound movement. A lot of 'gym strong' people become very easy to bully and push around on the mats, because they never exert themselves in any way that's off-axis to any basic gym exercise.

How is benching relative to lifting big stuff? Deadlifting is a much better equivalent. Legs and back are man's muscles :3
    Last edited by ls-; 2015-05-10 at 07:47 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by British Bulldog View Post
    I run faster and longer than my dad which means i should have more stamina and speed. I bench more times than him with the same weight which means i should be stronger. But when we move regular big stuffs around like couch, tables, draws etc. He somehow has more power and stamina than me? Im 22 and hes 40 something. How is this possible?
    Technique =/= Brute force
    And maybe your dad doesn't complain as much as you do And as someone else pointed out, you lift with your legs not your arms. This kinda proves that you're getting tired and exhausted faster because your technique is wrong.
    It's as the memes say, never skip leg day.

Deleted
    Train your wrists if you want to be a professional furniture lifter. Trust me having a good grip is more important than anything else.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    A whole lot of what was said here is false. Frame can facilitate the growth of more muscle, because you have a greater area to adhere muscle to, but it doesn't just happen. There's a lot that contributes to strength. Muscle development is one. Cardiovascular development can contribute to your ability to utilize those muscles. Your genetic makeup and 'control' also contribute to how strong you are. The more able to finely control things, the less likely you are to have exceptional peak strength. This is because your muscles consist of different fibers that deliver different degrees of power.

One of the biggest contributors to functional strength is just being used to compound movement. A lot of 'gym strong' people become very easy to bully and push around on the mats, because they never exert themselves in any way that's off-axis to any basic gym exercise.
    A lot of muscle is a lot of energy too.
    Isn't there a kind of average for body mass in which you perform the most optimal?

I've seen a lot of martial arts students and they don't really have big muscles, but their muscles are compact, rock hard and not too big or too small.
    Simply building muscle for volume doesn't neccesarily equals greater strength and endurance. Absolutely not endurance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you obviously take after your mother.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're a boy, he is fully developed man. He most likely lifts smarter than you

Because he's your Daddy.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

benching doesn't translate into any real world strength applications for a job.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by btorz View Post
    benching doesn't translate into any real world strength applications for a job.
    Yes one husband of my mother said the same about bodybuilders but he literally ruined his body for lifting shit.

strength is something that is build by the years. Top athletes reach the peak around 30-35, sure if its about speed etc (like messi) it can be in a young age. But how many strong people you'll see around 20-22? compared to their 35 y/o counterparts.

its something i've learned from myself, when I was 22 I was flying, I was literally crazy speed, stamina, strength pro athlete, roids, hgh, training 3 times a day and still had energy.

Now after few years I look back and I definitely can't do what I was doing at 22, meaning I want to sleep after a night out I dont want to go to work straight, I won't run as fast, I won't have the endurance I had, but I can definitely feel much much stronger and I can see that with my trainign as well.

Also its funny try playing rugby against a 40y/o, ull see that he will kill u if he is still actively playing.

so ye conclusion is: strength comes with the years and experience and confidence and maturity of the brain, after all its all in the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Because you obviously take after your mother.
    Lol'd so hard!! This just wins. Ignorant young pup not ready to try and take on the Alpha male yet.

7+ Year Old Account
    As they said, old man's strenght. They're more competitive, brute and experienced. Also, don't mess with grandpa's strenght.. those bastards know how to throw an old school punch.

I am super late on this but technique is probably the cause.

This is called Dad Strength. There is no logic behind it, but it totally exists.

Body mechanics, ftw. Proper lifting technique will out perform raw strength any day. Bet your dad has more experience with it.

Also, on a side note, I outdo a lot of my friends who lift weights. Most weightlifting exercises target and isolate certain muscles, and do not train you to handle whole body tasks such as moving furniture. Me, I'm a firefighter and paramedic, we move bulky, cumbersome weights all the time (try carrying an unconscious person down a set of stairs sometime, lol).

He probably has stronger legs and back, the man muscles.