Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How come my dad could lift more than me when i am stronger and faster?

I run faster and longer than my dad which means i should have more stamina and speed. I bench more times than him with the same weight which means i should be stronger. But when we move regular big stuffs around like couch, tables, draws etc. He somehow has more power and stamina than me? Im 22 and hes 40 something. How is this possible?

a) benching only takes certain parts of your body into account

b) moving large stuff around is about knowing how to effectly managing unwieldy objects as it is simply being able to lift a given amount of weight.. if that makes any sense.

He is more efficient, due to being more experienced.

Body mechanics vs brute strength

Deleted
    There's a lot more back and core involved when it comes to lifting things that can't be cleanly grabbed and lifted, like furniture.

I don't know much about lifting weights, but lifting couches is probably closer to dead lifts than benching. And as the other poster said, there's a lot of experience that goes into moving furniture.

Deleted
    is he shorter?

Quote Originally Posted by British Bulldog View Post
    I run faster and longer than my dad which means i should have more stamina and speed. I bench more times than him with the same weight which means i should be stronger. But when we move regular big stuffs around like couch, tables, draws etc. He somehow has more power and stamina than me? Im 22 and hes 40 something. How is this possible?
    You lift with your legs.

Im not a big dude, and I don't go to the gym but I can move 18ftx2ft wooden doors by myself because I know how to grab them and move them and I have done it a lot.

Years of experience teaches you how.

It comes down to experience and knowing the right leverage and angles to hold the items. Your dad might not be 'stronger' but he has probably helped a lot of friends move in his 40 years

It's dad strenght, you will learn one day when your kid tries to be stronger than you.

While the efficiency mentioned above may play a small part...

What many body builders (among others) seemingly forget is that you can't magically change your frame. If your father has even say a 10% larger upper body, he will always be stronger than you (age permitting) in tasks that require upper body strength. It doesn't matter how much you can bench or how big your arms are, even a few percent of extra upper body muscle surface area will trounce even super fit people with less.

This is why even Schwarzenegger status women still can't match an obese male couch potato in upper body strength, their frame is simply too small.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

I have a couple of ideas why this may be.

One is if your dad moves stuff regularly (say works for a moving company where it is a daily activity) but doesn't weight lift as much while you do the opposite (frequently work out but occasionally move the furniture described). Your body adapts to whatever you do regularly and makes it easier for you to do the same work (and thereby starts to reduce the effectiveness of that activity as a workout without changing it up).

The second thing is that bench presses mostly focus on arm control and chest strength. But lifting requires both back and leg strength (and proper technique). Being able to do more squats and deadlifts may be a better indicator of lifting capabilities.

7+ Year Old Account
    You lack the mentality to push for it, he doesnt.
    You can be faster, stronger and endure more than he can on paper, but without the mentality for it to make use of it, its just wasted states on the sheet.

Deleted
    Depending on what he works with he probably has some very well-exercised muscle groups that you can't compete with simply by going to the gym. For instance; A long time welder have incredibly strong triceps due to holding their welding piece extended and steady all day every day. Construction workers usually have strong backs and wings due to their work etc. You can't really compete with someone who exercises a certain muscle 8h/day, 5days/week for the past 20 or 30 years.

Don't mess with any man whose doing your mom buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they are allowed to donate, but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Realign View Post
    It's dad strenght, you will learn one day when your kid tries to be stronger than you.
    To compensate for "Dad Strength" we have "Dad Dancing".

Yup, you know what I mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's called old man strength. It's developed over time by doing work. Add that to experience and you have your answer.

No, it just means those specific muscles are stronger. Different actions require different muscles. If your other muscles are weak, then it won't matter that you have more stamina: you'll wear yourself out faster than he will.

You need to work out lots of muscles to really be strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Your ignorance is compelling you to become arrogant.