10+ Year Old Account

Surge of Shadow in pvp?

Hey all.
    So lately I've been seeing a ton of shadow priests in pvp, bgs, rbgs, arena, ashran, etc etc
    They are dominating. Not that it means much but almost always topping BG damage done.

I haven't touched my shadow spec in a while. Did something change? Recent buffs? Everyone figure out
    how to play shadow? What gives?

cascade change made it really strong in rbgs

Cascade, Surge of Darkness/CoP combo makes for a lot of DPs and spread dps, shadows just always been really good at BGs and such, but like above said cascade buff made us very very strong
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's worth noting that while Cascade does a lot of good spread pressure, it isn't really effective damage for getting kills - so like Ret AoE or DK dots, it helps us top the BG damage done, but it doesn't necessarily translate to being good at scoring kills or doing well in arenas.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

cascade being overpowered spread damage is pretty much why for bg damage. this is why you see rbg teams stacking a couple shadowpriests now as it can just be silly spread damage in a team fight.

Like Yvaelle said, this doesn't really help in things like arena, so you see spriest have some trouble and has to play specific comps where they could have a partner like mage babysit them and somewhat keep the melee off of them