Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Sad, but unfortunately this isn't anything new: for as long as humans have existed, there have been scumbags gleefully making profit off of war and death and if necessary, they will often manufacture conflicts to keep their business going.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    You mean the violent prosecution of homosexuals?
    I think he breaks down with that barrier too...
    http://www.ibtimes.com/pope-francis-...ildren-1742369

I can live with that stance he displays there from a church viewpoint. One step at a time, I'd say.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    It's hilarious to watch republicans squirm whenever the current Pope speaks out.
    I thought the majority of Republicans were Protestants, he's an irrelevance to them.

Quote Originally Posted by padie View Post
    The Church ALWAYS says follow our example... If you don't you commit a sin.
    One might also wonder the pope his motivation to say those things.
    The first question of his first interview as Pope was "Who is Jorge Mario Bergoglio?"). His answer was, "I am a sinner".

He doesn't want you to follow him, he wants you to follow Jesus. That distinction may not matter to some, but to a Christian, it's important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I thought the majority of Republicans were Protestants, he's an irrelevance to them.
    True or not...idk.
    this article says it's the other way around now
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/23/opinio...ves-catholics/

From my observation, they would have to be Catholic. Way too conservative also on the religious aspect.
    But it's hard to say in the US..... They have more different church affiliations than the UK has pubs.
    Our rather traditional less than a handful of church branches we're used to in Europe wasn't enough for the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Geary View Post
    The first question of his first interview as Pope was "Who is Jorge Mario Bergoglio?"). His answer was, "I am a sinner".

He doesn't want you to follow him, he wants you to follow Jesus. That distinction may not matter to some, but to a Christian, it's important.
    That's false too...
    As Catholic he wants you to follow the word of God. Jesus isn't everything... It's the holy trinity. And daddy is above all else, even above the son, and the holy ghost.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    True or not...idk.

From my observation, they would have to be Catholic. Way too conservative also on the religious aspect.
    But it's hard to say in the US..... They have more different church affiliations than the UK has pubs.
    Our rather traditional less than a handful of church branches we're used to in Europe wasn't enough for the US.

- - - Updated - - -

That's false too...
    As Catholic he wants you to follow the word of God. Jesus isn't everything... It's the holy trinity. And daddy is above all else, even above the son, and the holy ghost.
    Lol.

Catholics and Christians literally called Jesus "the word" (Logos in Greek) referring to the body of teaching. And the comment about "daddy being above all" has literally no relevance to Catholic Christianity. "If you have seen me, you have seen the Father." That's it. With respect to this discussion, there is no "more" from the Trinity. If you follow the Son, you follow the Father. End of story.

10+ Year Old Account
    True or not...idk.

Fair enough.

I'd always associated Republicans with Protestants and Democrats with Catholics, but it makes sense that the anti-abortionist party would draw in the Catholics.

It's weird from a British point of view, as religion is something of a no-no in our politics, e.g. the highest religious authority in our land, the Archbishop of Canterbury, would be told to eff off if he got seriously involved in party politics.

Cameron made some references to Anglicanism (presumably to get the granny votes) and was roundly condemned. Blair and Brown were both religious but never mentioned religion that I can recall, Thatcher was very much Church of England, but again not overtly so that you'd think it played any part in her decisions.

Fair enough.

I'd always associated Republicans with Protestants and Democrats with Catholics, but it makes sense that the anti-abortionist party would draw in the Catholics.

It's weird from a British point of view, as religion is something of a no-no in our politics, e.g. the highest religious authority in our land, the Archbishop of Canterbury, would be told to eff off if he got seriously involved in party politics.

Cameron made some references to Anglicanism (presumably to get the granny votes) and was roundly condemned. Blair and Brown were both religious but never mentioned religion that I can recall, Thatcher was very much Church of England, but again not overtly so that you'd think it played any part in her decisions.
    There are lots who are democrats, if there wasn't then Republicans would have a land slide victory every election being only what 20% of the US are atheist?

Edit: I better clarify myself as some dumb ass is going to think that I am saying 80% of US is only Baptist or Catholic
    Last edited by zenkai; 2015-05-12 at 07:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There are lots who are democrats, if there wasn't then Republicans would have a land slide victory every election being only what 20% of the US are atheist?
    I was talking about Catholics, they aren't the only Christian denomination.

Protestants and Orthodox are Christians but aren't Catholics and so wouldn't typically care what the Pope said due to him not representing their particular church, as an example my father was Greek Orthodox and thought the Pope was the Antichrist incarnate, then again he thought Jews, Muslims, Turks, Blacks, my mother, and just about everybody was the Antichrist incarnate, so that may have just been him, however Protestants and Orthodox Christians have had a very tense and often bloody relationship with Catholic Christians.

Protestants and Orthodox are Christians but aren't Catholics and so wouldn't typically care what the Pope said due to him not representing their particular church, as an example my father was Greek Orthodox and thought the Pope was the Antichrist incarnate, then again he thought Jews, Muslims, Turks, Blacks, my mother, and just about everybody was the Antichrist incarnate, so that may have just been him, however Protestants and Orthodox Christians have had a very tense and often bloody relationship with Catholic Christians.
    I see my edit got to you too late

http://www.pewforum.org/2012/11/07/h...poll-analysis/

Catholics are traditionally Democrats, but they can be a swing vote because they are typically pretty moderate liberals. I could see a moderate Republican like Jeb Bush poaching Catholic votes from Hillary in 2016. Jeb is a Catholic convert and is a lot less strident than some other GOPer's on divisive issues like immigration.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I think you are talking about something entirely different than I thought you were talking about, your mention of Atheists confused me, I'm not really sure why they'd warrant a mention.

True or not...idk.

That's false too...
    That's false too...
    Catholics believe the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit to be equal, and one in the same. This comes full circle with their slaughter of those who followed the Beliefs of Arius, called Arianism. The key tenant of Arianism is that Jesus was second to the father, and not equal.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arianism

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, Arian Christians can speak first hand. Ohhh wait no they can't most of their texts were burned, all of them were either forced to convert or slaughtered, and today their religion (not very different then many Protestant groups today) is used as a derogatory slur by the Corrupt, Catholic Church.

10+ Year Old Account
    so? he acknowledged theres a war industry

Deleted
    this pope is dope