Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Woman Fired After Facebook Post Celebrates Deaths Of Mississippi Cops (GGT)

http://globalgrind.com/2015/05/11/wo...sissippi-cops/

A Subway restaurant worker is out of a job after posting a Facebook status that celebrated the slayings of two police officers this weekend in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, according to The New York Daily News.
    Sierra (C-Babi) Mccurdy was fired Sunday after posting on Facebook, “2 police officers was shot in Hattiesburg tonight!” according to screen grabs circulating online, the report notes. “Got em.”
    The post referred to the tragic deaths of Hattiesburg officers Benjamin Deen, 34, and Liquori Tate, 25, who were shot and killed late Saturday after a traffic stop. Three people were arrested just hours after the shooting, including two brothers and a female. Two of the suspects face capital murder charges.
    Disclaimer: Not a freedom of speech issue (necessarily) since Subway does not need to give her a soap box also its not a government censorship issue.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Disclaimer: Not a freedom of speech issue (necessarily) since Subway does not need to give her a soap box also its not a government censorship issue.
    IE: "Freedoms" and "Rights" are only protections from government intervention.

Seems fair. When you're wearing work uniform, you are representing that company, regardless of whether or not you're actually working at the time.

Deleted
    You're working for a private company. The private company can fire you for anything bar race, gender or sexual preferences. Freedom of expression is only impaired when the government itself hinders it.

And I too would have fired her ass. The killing of innocent people doing their jobs is not something a sane person would do, nor should a company be associated with employees that do this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any private business should fire someone for publicly celebrating the deaths of innocent people.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

IIRC this was another "social justice" sort of "Hey look at this person doing something I don't like, let's make them pay!" kind of internet-fueled event, I recall a pro-police acquaintance sharing some kind of "Look at this person, let's get them fired" post on Facebook. Still a stupid thing, but like everything else blown out of proportion by internet knights wanting to right a perceived wrong.

More people need to mind their own business instead of going on a moral crusade.
    Last edited by Nobleshield; 2015-05-12 at 05:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    To make the matter a little bit more clear:

The reportedly former Subway employee faced steep criticism online for her inexplicable jubilation over the deaths of the Mississippi police officers.

“Police take away innocent people lives everyday now & get away w/ it , f—- them . . . (no mercy),” Mccurdy wrote.

A Subway spokesman said Mccurdy has been fired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by craftyard View Post
    Seems fair. When you're wearing work uniform, you are representing that company, regardless of whether or not you're actually working at the time.

This^. In Canada, quite a few of the fast food places will make you sign a Social Media agreement that basically states you aren't allowed to defame the company, the products or other employees. If you break said agreement, you are fired with no questions asked. Just a swift boot out the door. Even though she didn't diss the company, she still deserved the boot. Facebook is never the place for strong minded opinions, maybe she should've saved that for the backyard bbq.

Of course she can be fired for advocating violence. Even arrested. Unless you're Al Sharpton. Then you can advocate all the violence you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Congrats Blizz. Everyone who wanted a Vanilla realm will get it with WoD. So much for never moving backward. Though, it will not be a pure vanilla server since you can still fly in the old content, and you don't have to farm things just to raid. Just wanted to congratulate Blizz for giving the folks what they wanted, a classic vanilla world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Or, maybe instead of making a strawman, they could just get a lvl 1 pony after they complete a quest in the starting zone

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    IIRC this was another "social justice" sort of "Hey look at this person doing something I don't like, let's make them pay!" kind of internet-fueled event, I recall a pro-police acquaintance sharing some kind of "Look at this person, let's get them fired" post on Facebook. Still a stupid thing, but like everything else blown out of proportion by internet knights wanting to right a perceived wrong.

More people need to mind their own business instead of going on a moral crusade.
    You think this has nothing to do with the private business being concerned for their image?

10+ Year Old Account
    Her boss did the right thing!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wheresmywoft View Post
    You think this has nothing to do with the private business being concerned for their image?
    I think it's more people getting riled up and forcing them to act, like virtually every other thing of this nature. If not for some internet crusade to "make this dumb bitch pay" I doubt they would have even noticed.

Almost every instance of this, the company is forced to act due to backlash from people, not necessarily because they care.

It's interesting how misleading this line:

@SUBWAY you have employees advocating cop killing while in work uniform.

actually is.

Subway employee? Wtf? I was expecting someone of some stature... Why would Subway even know about this? This is definitely a freedom of speech issue, how is it not? Her personal life should have no ramifications on her work life as long as the two dont clash and her speaking her opinion does not effect Subway as a brand lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    Almost every instance of this, the company is forced to act due to backlash from people, not necessarily because they care.
    This... Everyone is a god damned bleeding heart these days.. people need hobbies ffs
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2015-05-12 at 05:46 PM.

"Freedom of Speech" or not, current circumstance aside, I think the more people who get hit for saying things like this and shown that their rhetoric will have real life consequences might be one of the steps we need towards people not dolling out death threats or taking shameful pictures of people and posting them online so casually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I agree. It's more of a stupidity issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Subway employee? Wtf? I was expecting someone of some stature... Why would Subway even know about this? This is definitely a freedom of speech issue, how is it not? Her personal life should have no ramifications on her work life as long as the two dont clash and her speaking her opinion does not effect Subway as a brand lol.

- - - Updated - - -

This... Everyone is a god damned bleeding heart these days.. people need hobbies ffs
    Freedom of Speech protects you from government censorship and arrest, not from social consequences of your stupidity. A private business can fire you for any reason, and people have been fired for less than this.

If I was the manager and I'd found out she was advocating violence against cops, I'd fire her to.

Makes me glad I work for someone that finds my lack of filter online amusing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't see why anyone would celebrate the deaths of innocent people. I understand completely that people hate police officers but there are significantly better ways to go about wanting change. Unless someone she deeply loves like a family member, friend or lover was killed by a police officer she is dumb and even those reasons are iffy at best.

Glad she was fired, she deserved it. She acted like a stupid piece of trash rather than a half decent human being.

Normally I'd hate to hear of someone losing their job, but this is beyond stupid; when you work for a company, everything you say and do inadvertently represents them. It doesn't usually matter, but if you have a controversial opinion on a hot-topic and it becomes well-known, you might be in trouble. Also, I'm sick of morons using a few examples of police brutality as grounds for 'ALL COPS R EVIL PIGS AND SHUD DIE!!!111!!!" There are corrupt and racist cops, to be sure, but there's also a shitload of good men and women who aren't dickbags; by all accounts, the two cops killed were the latter, with one of them having only recently graduated from the police academy.

You want to hate cops? Hate the ones that have actually done shit that's wrong. Stupid bitch deserved to get fired.