Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    This show was aaaawful. I was pretty pumped, looking forward to supergirl whooping ass and seeing streaky.
    What I got was superman nods and feminism being shoveled down my throat. Everything about it was garbage. Bad writing and pandering wrapped in a red cape.

And can someone tell me why every single god damn reboot needs the origin story? How many different ways do I have to see Peter Parker get bit by a spider? How many times do I have to see Bruce's parents killed? Why do I have to see a kryptonian in a rocket every time a super anything drops? Who doesnt know this shit by now? Can we just get to the good shit quicker?
    Last edited by Gatsbybutters; 2015-05-26 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Senjumaru Shutara View Post
    OK, this seriously made me laugh.

- - - Updated - - -

Except they are not connected universes. CBS ≠ CW.
    supergirl is part of the arrowverse. they just arent having them crossover right away. cbs is a sister network and owns half of cw. but even if it wasnt that wouldnt prevent them from crossing over. constantine was going to be integrated into the arrowverse before it got cancelled. they were going to have oliver go find constantine because hes an expert on lazarus pits.

supergirl takes place on the west coast while the rest of the arrowverse shows take place on the eastcoast so they have plenty of plot reasons why they dont meetup right away.

in fact before greg accepted the offer to work on the show he had it written in his contract that the shows could at some point crossover.

i wouldnt be surprised if she showed up as soon as the next red vs green crossover.

- - - Updated - - -

flash and supergirl make a cute couple. they should drop iris and go for this

MAKE IT HAPPEN GREG!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

love how there is more colour in this one pic then in all of the shitty dccu

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    constantine was going to be integrated into the arrowverse before it got cancelled. they were going to have oliver go find constantine because hes an expert on lazarus pits.
    It would have been GLORIOUS . I honestly don't understand how when Constantine got dropped it wasn't picked RIGHT up by a network with a clue... I mean it pulled higher ratings than things like Arrow, you think the CW would have snapped it up.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

supergirl is part of the arrowverse. they just arent having them crossover right away. cbs is a sister network and owns half of cw. but even if it wasnt that wouldnt prevent them from crossing over. constantine was going to be integrated into the arrowverse before it got cancelled. they were going to have oliver go find constantine because hes an expert on lazarus pits.

supergirl takes place on the west coast while the rest of the arrowverse shows take place on the eastcoast so they have plenty of plot reasons why they dont meetup right away.
    Though I do wonder about it now, since Superman (er, sorry, Her Cousin), has been operating for 10 years or whatever. You'd think Flash might have noticed such a thing as an invincible alien...
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    4) What is Supergirl's motivation? Unlike Clark Kent, there was no "Smallville" growing period for her. We even find out she's flown before this episode, as a kid, but then CHOSE to live a normal life. Why is she hiding? Her specific reasoning is "the world doesn't need two heroes." What? Are you serious?

5) WHY IS NO ONE ALLOWED TO SAY SUPERMAN IN THIS SHOW? So many allusions to "my cousin," "your cousin," "him." Once he was referred to as the "Man of Steel." The rest was all a bunch of pronouns. It's actually rather jarring.
    4) She fell asleep as a 13 year old girl with her entire world being destroyed, her family about to die, and the only thing she had left being her mission to protect her cousin. She wakes up on Earth and immediately has that mission yanked out from under her by "the most powerful man in the universe", and gets set aside into a foster home to "grow up" with a jealous older "sibling" who probably took every opportunity to undermine her confidence and squelch any attempt she might have made to rebuild her life as a Kryptonian, leaving her as a mousy Earthling instead. We even saw that during her interaction with her sister in the trailer - Alex reminding her that she "wanted to be normal," which was probably an idea Alex put there in the first place.

5) "When I arrived, I was still a 13 year old girl, but in that same time, my cousin Kal-El had grown up and revealed himself to your world... as Superman, the most powerful man in the universe!" They did the name-drop early, then left it behind so it wouldn't take away focus from the actual star of the show - Supergirl. If they mentioned Superman every other sentence, it would just be distracting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    And can someone tell me why every single god damn reboot needs the origin story? How many different ways do I have to see Peter Parker get bit by a spider? How many times do I have to see Bruce's parents killed? Why do I have to see a kryptonian in a rocket every time a super anything drops? Who doesnt know this shit by now? Can we just get to the good shit quicker?
    This is a television series, not a 2-hour movie. They have time for origins. Especially since their target audience probably doesn't have her origin memorized. Plus, since this is Supergirl, they have to actually establish which origin they're going with, since in the comics she's had like half a dozen by now. As you know, she was rocketed as a baby teenager from Krypton Kandor Argo City Krypton to Earth where it was her destiny to be Superman's secret weapon kill Superman protect Kal-El.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    and James Olsen is now a "black guy"....pft....
    Well in one series he was killed by aids... in the last T.V series he was a guy that was killed off then replaced by his younger brother.. Soo since hes not a constant in any universe who cares. This isn't like FF4 where its changing the entire series even how they get powers.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    They did the name-drop early, then left it behind so it wouldn't take away focus from the actual star of the show - Supergirl. If they mentioned Superman every other sentence, it would just be distracting.
    To be fair I found it more distracting them constantly talking about superman in roundabout ways than if they'd just said "Superman". They were talking about him all the time anyway and we all know who they meant, so why beat around the bush?
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    I keep thinking back to Smallville and how they saved flight for really important moments and it didn't burn the CGI budget or get over used but she ends up catching a plane in week one which is pretty significant and it can only get bigger.

It's kind of quirky though and the choice of Supergirl couldn't be better, she would have been better than Laura Vandervoort in my opinion. The outfit is pretty good and while the premise of her bringing bad guys with her is from Smallville season six, it's a good idea.

I would like it to work, so i'll look forward to the series.

The trailer bashing completely misses the mark. It was one of the best trailers I've seen for a new show. It was quirky, fun, uplifting, and exceptionally self-aware.

I've seen the pilot. While it's certainly not one of the best TV pilots (that honor belongs to Homeland or Alias), it is generally well done, although not as good as the trailer makes it out to be. Compared to other shows in the genre, it's much better than Agent of SHIELD's pilot, and probably slightly worse than Agent Carter's.

Despite having some flaws, the criticisms about showing a girl living a normal life, dating, or whatever (these aren't the flaws) gets the issues completely wrong. The most critical challenge is maintaining the quality of the show post-pilot given CBS's penchant for self-contained episodes. And shows with self-contained episodes are nearly always boring, low stakes, repetitive, and formulaic.

Some specific details and criticisms on the pilot follows below:
    The show is generally well written. It's very refreshing to see a superhero watch herself on TV and feel giddy and joy for saving people. My favorite scene was when Kara, after saving the plane, scolds the reporter on TV for complaining about the damage caused, then she boasts to her sister about how great it feels to help people and she wants to continue doing it. A surprising twist on the typical trope of a brooding, reluctant anti-hero, dragged into action by unfortunate circumstances and wanting to get out of the game as soon as his job is done. In fact, the show undermines many tropes despite complaints that it depicts, at times, a girl being a girl. Along with scenes such as Kara choosing a functional outfit and debating with her boss on whether she should be called "Supergirl" or "Superwomen", the show remains authentic and grounded.

Melissa Benoist does an exceptional job portraying Kara and was the perfect choice for the role. She radiates optimism and charm. Her performance is arguably the highlight of the pilot, a character with which the audience can easily empathize.

The pilot, at 46 minutes long, is overstuffed and there were some very cheesy lines in the 2nd half that should have been cut, such as when the villain says that on his plan women bow before men (a earlier scene where the waitress says finally a female superhero for her daughter to look up to was a really nice moment, but this line is obviously overkill). Henshaw going from distrusting Kara to suddenly, within the span of 10 seconds, accepting her help with the cheesy line of "go out there and win" was particularly jarring. Instead, Kara should've just ignored him, then stormed out and into action, and that ridiculous line should be cut. The running commentary on Kara during the final fight scene was also completely superfluous, explaining how the villain's axe works... is this really necessary? Generally, it is better to show rather than to explain, and it is already shown that when the axe gets lasered it explodes. The exchange between Henshaw ("She's not strong enough") and Alex ("Why? Because she's a girl, that's exactly what we were counting on"), was easily the most cringe-worthy moment. The first scene where a young Kara is put in a pod and leaves for Earth also seems unnecessary. Do we really care? Maybe when her back story plays a greater role in the series, adding in that scene in one of the later episodes would be more appropriate.

However, the concept, the premise and the writing, notwithstanding a few cheesy moments, is solid. I'd give the pilot 8 out of 10. If the cheesy moments were cut out, I'd give it a 9.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2015-05-27 at 09:55 AM.

Watched the first episode. Suspicions confirmed.

It's a highly targeted show, I'm well outside this target, which made it almost unbearably terrible to get through.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    4) She fell asleep as a 13 year old girl with her entire world being destroyed, her family about to die, and the only thing she had left being her mission to protect her cousin. She wakes up on Earth and immediately has that mission yanked out from under her by "the most powerful man in the universe", and gets set aside into a foster home to "grow up" with a jealous older "sibling" who probably took every opportunity to undermine her confidence and squelch any attempt she might have made to rebuild her life as a Kryptonian, leaving her as a mousy Earthling instead. We even saw that during her interaction with her sister in the trailer - Alex reminding her that she "wanted to be normal," which was probably an idea Alex put there in the first place.

5) "When I arrived, I was still a 13 year old girl, but in that same time, my cousin Kal-El had grown up and revealed himself to your world... as Superman, the most powerful man in the universe!" They did the name-drop early, then left it behind so it wouldn't take away focus from the actual star of the show - Supergirl. If they mentioned Superman every other sentence, it would just be distracting.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a television series, not a 2-hour movie. They have time for origins. Especially since their target audience probably doesn't have her origin memorized. Plus, since this is Supergirl, they have to actually establish which origin they're going with, since in the comics she's had like half a dozen by now. As you know, she was rocketed as a baby teenager from Krypton Kandor Argo City Krypton to Earth where it was her destiny to be Superman's secret weapon kill Superman protect Kal-El.
    Im aware that its a tv show. Im asking why everything, every single comic book anything needs the origin story tacked on. And people dont know how supergirl got here? The being from the destroyed planet krypton in a red cape with an S on her chest that arrived in a rocket? Take a wild guess how Krypto the superdog gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    -snip-
    I'm sorry, that was not a well written pilot. I don't know how you judge writing, but you pointed out lots of cringe-y moments and still said it was well written. 8 out of 10? That's silly as hell. Furthermore, the characters didn't undermine traditional superhero tropes, it reinforced traditional girl-drama tropes. We get it, it's "refreshing" to not see a new grimdark superhero show, that doesn't automatically make it good. Flash undermines the whole grimdark aesthetic but does so in a well-written way. Meanwhile, it reinforces the old superhero (specifically Superman) tropes of "not being able to recognize a person without their glasses, and their hair down," and "not trusting a superhero who has only shown benevolence mainly because they're an alien," and "I have to be true to who I am." Those are much older tropes than the whole "brooding anti-hero" trope, which really has only been carried by Batman over the years, until this past decade.

Opinion is opinion, but the majority seem to think it wasn't well written.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I'm sorry, that was not a well written pilot. I don't know how you judge writing, but you pointed out lots of cringe-y moments and still said it was well written. 8 out of 10? That's silly as hell. Furthermore, the characters didn't undermine traditional superhero tropes, it reinforced traditional girl-drama tropes. We get it, it's "refreshing" to not see a new grimdark superhero show, that doesn't automatically make it good. Flash undermines the whole grimdark aesthetic but does so in a well-written way. Meanwhile, it reinforces the old superhero (specifically Superman) tropes of "not being able to recognize a person without their glasses, and their hair down," and "not trusting a superhero who has only shown benevolence mainly because they're an alien," and "I have to be true to who I am." Those are much older tropes than the whole "brooding anti-hero" trope, which really has only been carried by Batman over the years, until this past decade.

Opinion is opinion, but the majority seem to think it wasn't well written.
    It was well-written because all the cringe inducing lines I pointed out probably totals about 30 seconds and can easily be cut, and with the exception of those moments, it was very good.

The first trope you mention is completely immaterial. Glasses... really... who the fuck cares? The second trope, apart from the sudden flip-flop I mentioned, is not a big deal. The third trope is rarely seen in superhero movies or TV, so it's not really a trope here.

I didn't even mention the girl-drama tropes, which are clearly the bigger problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    arrow started up shit as well. gonna give it a shot. i'm a sucker for superhero shows and movies anyway.
    This is a signature, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mteq View Post
    arrow started up shit as well. gonna give it a shot. i'm a sucker for superhero shows and movies anyway.
    Really? I thought Arrow started well and got steadily worse and finished its latest season literally driving into the sunset with the girl. /barf.

Supergirl's trailer was awful, and the pilot was unwatchable but I'm not a 12 year old girl the intended target audience so I wont lose sleep over it.

Seriously theres too many cliches that distract from any type of enjoyment to be had with this show. (My personal favorite was when the hard military guy told her to just go get coffee when supergirl demanded she be able to help.)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Really? I thought Arrow started well and got steadily worse and finished its latest season literally driving into the sunset with the girl. /barf.

Supergirl's trailer was awful, and the pilot was unwatchable but I'm not a 12 year old girl the intended target audience so I wont lose sleep over it.

Seriously theres too many cliches that distract from any type of enjoyment to be had with this show. (My personal favorite was when the hard military guy told her to just go get coffee when supergirl demanded she be able to help.)
    i blame arrows season 3 faults on dc entertainment. they had big plans with the suicide squad and argus with amanda waller and halfway through the season dc told them they couldnt use them anymore because of the suicide squad movie, and comments from the actor makes it seem like they arent allowed to use katana anymore either.

imagine if half your subplots got pulled out from under you and you had to scramble to come up with enough plot to fill the same episode order amount.

if anything we should be glad arrows 3rd season was even slightly coherent after that.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

i blame arrows season 3 faults on dc entertainment. they had big plans with the suicide squad and argus with amanda waller and halfway through the season dc told them they couldnt use them anymore because of the suicide squad movie, and comments from the actor makes it seem like they arent allowed to use katana anymore either.

imagine if half your subplots got pulled out from under you and you had to scramble to come up with enough plot to fill the same episode order amount.

if anything we should be glad arrows 3rd season was even slightly coherent after that.
    Yeah my heart goes out to these writers, It cant be easy with all the copy right crap. I feel arrow suffered from introducing too many heroes and it took away a lot of screen time from Oliver queen and focused on insufferable story arcs like the canary's and thea/roy (That thea/roy story didnt lead to anything. One has left the show and the other is what looks like a 15 year old girl playing cosplay). A trend I hope doesnt continue across these shows (arrow, flash, supergirl, legends) in that as they get another season they feel they have to "keep it fresh/add new backdrops/new flashy characters and more magic/time travel!!! Which is fine but they over did it with arrow.

10+ Year Old Account
    all this copy right crap is fucking DC up anyway. they have 2 great shows, arrow & the flash, but for the justice league movie they will cast a different flash (and his stand alone movie), characters can't go from tv to movie and vice versa and there will be basicly 2 different verses.

the sloppy explenation of multiverse might work on comic book fans, although even they might find it a poor excuse. the average arrow/flash show watcher is expecting the same actors in the movies. if you want to make something like this work, it all has to intertwine and work with one another. if fans of arrow don't understand something because it wa sexplained in the flash, they'll watch the flash. this goes the same for movies.

instead, they'll make movies that reference stuff in the series, but the series can't reference the movies. there will be 3 shows (arrow, the flash and legends of tomorrow) that will be there own subverse. supergirl is rmored to be in the arrowverse, but also in the batman v superman verse, but the arrowverse tv shows cannot reference batman/superman.

DC is making it all rather difficult for themselves. marvel managed, and they had fox + sony to deal with, while DC only has warner bross. (correct me if im wrong, thought this was the case)
    This is a signature, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

it actually doesnt have anything to do with copyright, dc/warner bros owns the rights to there characters, theyre purposefully limiting who can and cannot show up because they think audiences will be "confused"

so while the arrowverse is seperate from the movieverse its not equal, and since even an average movie will make more money than a tv show does the tv show side gets the bad end of the stick.