Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    I find it amusing that you can't see the irony in that statement considering their most know IP is a spinoff from an established IP.
    and that would be? WoW? That came from warcraft? Their own IP?
    Last edited by Orangetai420; 2015-05-14 at 04:54 PM.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    and that would be? WoW? That came from warcraft? Their own IP?
    Warcraft is a warhammer spin off on a lot of levels you would be surprised how many connections there are

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft is a warhammer spin off on a lot of levels you would be surprised how many connections there are
    You can make that argument but then I could say that warhammer is heavily inspired by dungeons and dragons and this could go on. My point being, Blizzard doesn't make games that aren't their own IP. They would never bother with ASoIF because it's not theirs, especially with Telltale already publishing GoT games.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    You can make that argument but then I could say that warhammer is heavily inspired by dungeons and dragons and this could go on. My point being, Blizzard doesn't make games that aren't their own IP. They would never bother with ASoIF because it's not theirs, especially with Telltale already publishing GoT games.
    Except that warcraft was suppose to orginally be a warhammer game, it was more then just inspired

They don't bother with other IP's since it limits their freedom and requires them to pay contributions to the owners of the rights of that IP.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    honestly I don't see why not...
    technically you are right, they could make a traditional MMO out of it, just like any IP

But what the poster is saying, is that it wouldn't be any good as a traditional mmo. You would lose so much out of it. The only game type that the setting would work, IMO, is an RTS or turn based strategy game like the total war series.

Deleted
    honestly I don't see why not...

hell with how many games out there that are basically some form of D&D format clone with a new setting, it's not far fetched to assume that any source material can be made into a traditional MMO (assuming you mean WoW-style).

it might not be successful but it could exist.

IMO each player running a house would be better suited to a small scale multiplayer thing.... a few million houses to take account of with as many emblems. Sounds like something that is just better suited to what passes as guilds/clans/corp.
    I just don't think you could do a traditional MMO whilst staying true to, and doing justice to the source material. The political intrigue just isn't suited to a game like WoW were pretty much everything revolves around combat. And a lot of the routes characters could take would be very restrictive - like you can't leave once you've joined the Night's Watch. That's a big part of the story that players would want to explore, but it would also be really restrictive. But if you were in fact controlling a group of characters, rather than just one, having one of them tied up in the Night's Watch, another dedicated to studying at the Citadel etc. would not be nearly as restrictive.

In a non-traditional MMO it could be really interesting with some sort of diplomacy system. And there wouldn't be a few million houses on one server. A few thousand more like. Plus I'd imagine some sort of phasing would be involved, so you have your own instanced castle. So the fact that there are loads more houses then there would actually be in the lore would not actually be obvious, so suspension of disbelief would not be broken.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    technically you are right, they could make a traditional MMO out of it, just like any IP

But what the poster is saying, is that it wouldn't be any good as a traditional mmo. You would lose so much out of it. The only game type that the setting would work, IMO, is an RTS or turn based strategy game like the total war series.
    There was actually a strategy game of GoT, though I think it was turn-based. In any case it apparently sucked.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not what a spinoff is. A spinoff would be something explicitly set in the Warhammer Universe. Warcraft was indeed originally going to be a Warhammer game, but that's super early development. They basically used the same basic premise of Orcs but other than that it's its own game.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    There was actually a strategy game of GoT, though I think it was turn-based. In any case it apparently sucked.
    The Crusader Kings 2 game of thrones mod was really good though. I could see someone making a focused GoT strategy game that would be great. I see the potential in it. But just because it could be done right doesn't mean it has or will be done right.

Thanks, but I really don't want to raid King Joffrey for 17 months.

Hate GoT, so not going to comment on this, but I wanted to comment on sth someone said.

it might not be successful but it could exist.
    So... Why? If it's not making money, why would someone invest their time and money into it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    The Crusader Kings 2 game of thrones mod was really good though. I could see someone making a focused GoT strategy game that would be great. I see the potential in it. But just because it could be done right doesn't mean it has or will be done right.
    Paradox development studios has often tried to get the IP... Never actually got it though. If one company should make a game of thrones game they should do it. It would be a great Crusader kings II spinoff like EU : Rome was.

Wouldn't work all that well, mechanics and lore wise i imagine. At best you'd probably push 4 classes out of it at the bare minimum, which would probably be your standard Warrior / Ranger , and either a Warg or Red priest. If they were going to bring a game of thrones into the mmo fold the standard formula wold not work. It would have to be an Dynamic ever-changing story without the 5 minute quests we all hate to do. Lore wise is pretty limited as well, at best can probably forge a side story to the books stories, like telltale did i suppose. Other than that there's no endgame material to salvage from the Game of Thrones series.

Quote Originally Posted by Armbre View Post
    i don't think we'll see another large mmo for awhile since the last big ones have failed, part of the issue being wow taking up a large chunk of the players. I think blizz could do something like this but not until wow drops to like 1mil subs
    Can anyone name any companies that have more than one MMO?

I can't think of any off the top of my head.

The main reason is that, if your company runs more than one MMO, you're not only competing against the other MMO's, you're competing against yourself.

That's the kind of move that, with Blizzard being part of a publicly traded conglomerate, pisses shareholders off.

There's a reason why Blizzards games are all diverse types. Diablo is the dungeon crawler. Starcraft is the RTS. Hearthstone is the collectible card game. Heroes of the Storm is the MOBA. Overwatch is the FPS. And WoW is the MMO. I don't think it's an accident that none of their games have competing player bases.

You want to know what Blizzard's secret project is? Look for the popular game genre that they're not in yet.
    Last edited by drakonblayde; 2016-10-15 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leastath View Post
    I came up with the sweetest idea ever! Imagine that Blizz buys rights to create Game of Thrones MMORPG! I know there are some trailers of GoT video game but well... I saw them and they don`t look very encouragingly. Back to the topic- Blizz creates MMORPG just like WoW but all happens in Westeros! How I see it:

1. Only one race- humans. Instead of picking up race at the begining you pick up house you belong to. Let`s say there are 10 options. You can be one of the house: Starks, Lannisters, Targaryen, Tyrell, Baratheon, Greyjoy, Tully, Arryn and Mormont or you can be brother of the Nights Watch.

2. All happens in time that is presented in the book but there is no need to follow the main plot. That means: Eddard Stark is the head of house Stark, Tywin is the head of house Lannister, Aerys is the head of house Targaryen etc.

3. A lot of thigns are taken from Wow- professions, xp and leveling, quests, 5-man dungeons, raids, achievements.

4. There are thousnds of possibilities to add new expansion- enlarge the world beyond the Wall, and Free Cities- beyond the narrow sea.

5. World is divided into zones that have different level range.

6. You can buy a mount at some level + there is some public transportation like ships or caravans.

7. Different houses may have variety of abilities that are specific only to them- like Targaryens may use a dragon for a mount or Starks may have a direwolf as their companion that is useful in fight.

What do you think?
    I think that sounds fucking horrible

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by drakonblayde View Post
    Can anyone name any companies that have more than one MMO?

I can't think of any off the top of my head.

The main reason is that, if your company runs more than one MMO, you're not only competing against the other MMO's, you're competing against yourself.

That's the kind of move that, with Blizzard being part of a publicly traded conglomerate, pisses shareholders off.

There's a reason why Blizzards games are all diverse types. Diablo is the dungeon crawler. Starcraft is the RTS. Hearthstone is the collectible card game. Heroes of the Storm is the MOBA. Overwatch is the FPS. And WoW is the MMO. I don't think it's an accident that none of their games have competing player bases.

You want to know what Blizzard's secret project is? Look for the popular game genre that they're not in yet.
    They are remaking Warcraft Adventures!

Blizzard is coming to show you how real point and click is done Telltale back the fuck up.