Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Game of Thrones - MMORPG by Blizzard!!

I came up with the sweetest idea ever! Imagine that Blizz buys rights to create Game of Thrones MMORPG! I know there are some trailers of GoT video game but well... I saw them and they don`t look very encouragingly. Back to the topic- Blizz creates MMORPG just like WoW but all happens in Westeros! How I see it:

1. Only one race- humans. Instead of picking up race at the begining you pick up house you belong to. Let`s say there are 10 options. You can be one of the house: Starks, Lannisters, Targaryen, Tyrell, Baratheon, Greyjoy, Tully, Arryn and Mormont or you can be brother of the Nights Watch.

2. All happens in time that is presented in the book but there is no need to follow the main plot. That means: Eddard Stark is the head of house Stark, Tywin is the head of house Lannister, Aerys is the head of house Targaryen etc.

3. A lot of thigns are taken from Wow- professions, xp and leveling, quests, 5-man dungeons, raids, achievements.

4. There are thousnds of possibilities to add new expansion- enlarge the world beyond the Wall, and Free Cities- beyond the narrow sea.

5. World is divided into zones that have different level range.

6. You can buy a mount at some level + there is some public transportation like ships or caravans.

7. Different houses may have variety of abilities that are specific only to them- like Targaryens may use a dragon for a mount or Starks may have a direwolf as their companion that is useful in fight.

What do you think?

i don't think we'll see another large mmo for awhile since the last big ones have failed, part of the issue being wow taking up a large chunk of the players. I think blizz could do something like this but not until wow drops to like 1mil subs

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because it's from blizzard doesn't mean it will be great, If the recent years of WoW is anything to go by if it wasn't due to previous obtained ties people created to the game of others played by it the population would be much lower.

Also just because it's from a current popular IP in another media format does not make it a good game IP, let alone MMO IP.

And blizzard won't ever make another mmo not enough return on that investment.

Game of Thrones would make for a mediocre mmo. What makes A Song of Ice and Fire great doesn't translate well to an mmo setting.

If you want to play a decent Game of Thrones game then play the Telltale Games: Game of Thrones. It is good because it makes you make hard decisions and there are consequences for your decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Congrats Blizz. Everyone who wanted a Vanilla realm will get it with WoD. So much for never moving backward. Though, it will not be a pure vanilla server since you can still fly in the old content, and you don't have to farm things just to raid. Just wanted to congratulate Blizz for giving the folks what they wanted, a classic vanilla world.
    Or, maybe instead of making a strawman, they could just get a lvl 1 pony after they complete a quest in the starting zone

that's not really a game, more like an interactive story

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    that's not really a game, more like an interactive story
    Call it what you will.

Game of Thrones isn't a show. More like a visual Book...
    Congrats Blizz. Everyone who wanted a Vanilla realm will get it with WoD. So much for never moving backward. Though, it will not be a pure vanilla server since you can still fly in the old content, and you don't have to farm things just to raid. Just wanted to congratulate Blizz for giving the folks what they wanted, a classic vanilla world.
    Or, maybe instead of making a strawman, they could just get a lvl 1 pony after they complete a quest in the starting zone

Short answer: No
    Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooo!

Sorry I had to.

Longer answer: think about this for more than 30 seconds. What would the classes be and how would they be distinguished from one another? How boring would the enemies/dungeons be? How boring is disparate "races" being replaced by representing a particular house (sidenote - it's fucking stupid if Westeros is suddenly 90% people from the major houses only)? Yay, I wear a Targaryen tabard and you wear Stark? And we are spelunking north of the Wall together? wat?

Basically, ASOIAF is not about combat and magic. Making an interesting MMO and keeping the spirit of ASOIAF are honestly mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Game of Thrones would make for a mediocre mmo. What makes A Song of Ice and Fire great doesn't translate well to an mmo setting.
    GRRM also once said that about turning it into a movie/show! JK you're absolutely correct. Actually, GRRM was right too, as soon as Dumb & Dumber started turning the show into fucking fanfic... but that's a separate, unrelated, very, very, VERY long discussion to be had elsewhere.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2015-05-14 at 02:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would make for a poor mmo, what makes ASOIAF great isn't so much the fighting as the intrigues going on.

A single player RPG could put the focus in the right places, but an MMO? No way.
    Last edited by zealo; 2015-05-14 at 02:21 PM.

I don't think I'd want Blizzard touching a GoT MMO.

Lol Blizzard. People still think they make great MMORPG's these days? They'd probably take over 10 years to make (and who knows if the show would still be relevant by then), and then having nothing but rushed content, classes being way too easy to play and nothing but microtransactions.

Deleted
    ASOIAF could not be made into a traditional MMO, but I think with some innovation there's a actually a lot of potential. My own proposal for such a game:

You don't create just a single character, instead you create a whole house (of 5 or 6 members), so you play as a minor noble house in service to one of the kingdoms (and later to one of the five kings). You can toggle between different members of the family seamlessly and the aim would be to coordinate all the family members to achieve the most wealth and power for your house. It would have a lot of RTS elements, there could be a system to raise the reputation of your house - like for example sending a son off to the Night's Watch would boost your houses honour levels. You could invest in properties like blacksmiths or brothels. That sort of thing. Character injury and death would be permanent, but as you're not just playing as one character at a time, this would be way less punishing.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only issue with Blizzard making any other MMORPG would be the people transitioning from WoW, and the inevitable influx of "Why can't I get a mount in X Game until level 60 when I can get one at level 20 in WoW!!!!111!!oneone!!1"

"Why doesn't your new game have Duel Spec?!!11/?!"

There would be constant comparisons to WoW, as so many people take a lot of WoW's ease of life changes to heart. Hence the massive fit people had over the changes to flying in WoD.

Looking at blizzard of the past 4 years... I'd steer clear of it. Wildstar looked more promising in it's beta stages than the OP's suggestion.

Deleted
    I wont like Blizzard to create another MMO.

And i dont think they would like it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    ASOIAF could not be made into a traditional MMO, but I think with some innovation there's a actually a lot of potential. My own proposal
    honestly I don't see why not...

hell with how many games out there that are basically some form of D&D format clone with a new setting, it's not far fetched to assume that any source material can be made into a traditional MMO (assuming you mean WoW-style).

it might not be successful but it could exist.

IMO each player running a house would be better suited to a small scale multiplayer thing.... a few million houses to take account of with as many emblems. Sounds like something that is just better suited to what passes as guilds/clans/corp.

Oh god no! Please no! That is not a MMO I want to see come about!

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard is all about their own franchise. Something like that would come from a publisher that can't come up with original ideas.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Blizzard is all about their own franchise. Something like that would come from a publisher that can't come up with original ideas.
    I find it amusing that you can't see the irony in that statement considering their most know IP is a spinoff from an established IP.

Blizzard hasn't attempted a licensed title since their proposed WARHAMMER 40K idea that was turned down by Games Workshop, then reworked it into Starcraft. They've said they never will again.