View Poll Results: Should it happen? Read post then vote

Voters
22. This poll is closed
  • YES

9 40.91%
  • no

13 59.09%

Should WoW follow everquest IDEA>?!

Recently been hearing reports of everquest starting some ROLLBACK style servers starting as if the game was just released to have player re-experience the journey.? should WoW do this to bring back old players and bring in new players alike who wish they had a chance to re exp the gameplay we once had? i think this is a fantastic idea having select servers that are rolled back to day 1 (new servers dont worry i doubt if it did happen that it would happen to a current server) and load content patches in at the same rate as the old days essentially revitalizing Vanilla and after a couple years the Launch of BC and wrath?! reliving the arena seasons we once loved and hated revisiting OLD content as if it is real?

personally if this happened i would resub instantly and i know ALOT of people who would also resub and alot more would love to go back. thoughts?

No, because quite honestly, that idea is really stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's been asked a billion and two times, and the answer is always the same: No, it's a bad idea.

Blizzard would have to host extra servers, extra GMs for those servers, and so forth to maintain legacy realms.

And then say something was bugged in patch 2.4, that was then fixed in WotLK. But if you want a BC-only server, do they have to go into patch 2.4 and then explicitly fix that bug? And what about all the other expansions? Do you have developers spend extra time on that to fix bugs when they should be working on the CURRENT game?

And then what happens when people inevitably grow bored of servers? People get fidgety when they have to tolerate a few months with no new patches... are they just going to be content to run Naxx/Sunwell/ICC/what have you, not just for a few months, but forever? No, people aren't going to do that. You might have a handful of nostalgic diehard weirdos that cling to the servers, but not nearly enough of them to justify spending that money on to maintain servers. Not to mention the stilted linear progression of BC and Vanilla would greatly deincentivize new players from joining the server going forward.

And those, on top of several other reasons, is why it's a bad idea, and not going to happen.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2015-05-15 at 10:00 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    It's been asked a billion and two times, and the answer is always the same: No, it's a bad idea.

Blizzard would have to host extra servers, extra GMs for those servers, and so forth to maintain legacy realms.

And then say something was bugged in patch 2.4, that was then fixed in WotLK. But if you want a BC-only server, do they have to go into patch 2.4 and then explicitly fix that bug? And what about all the other expansions? Do you have developers spend extra time on that to fix bugs when they should be working on the CURRENT game?

And that, on top of several other reasons, is why it's a bad idea, and not going to happen.
    your right its most likely not going to happen but no there is a log of patches they have release just release then in order let us experience the bugged shit and how the game use to be (extra GMS?) doubt they need more to moniter chat for keywords? and sort through random reports just have someone push the patch out on legacy servers

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nofo View Post
    personally if this happened i would resub instantly and i know ALOT of people who would also resub and alot more would love to go back. thoughts?
    No. Most definitely not. The only point to such an event would be to run into players faces how stupid the idea is...and there isn't any justification to manage
    servers for the few days that would take.

WoW has problems....certainly. I'd agree with that. That it has moved on from Vanilla isn't one of them.

I'd agree the Vanilla **stories ** should be brought back. Blizzards reboot, the vandalism inflicted upon the game by Cata and the removal of those stories was an incredibly stupid and wasteful thing to do. But that actual *gameplay*? No.

EJL

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    No. Most definitely not. The only point to such an event would be to run into players faces how stupid the idea is...and there isn't any justification to manage
    servers for the few days that would take.

WoW has problems....certainly. I'd agree with that. That it has moved on from Vanilla isn't one of them.

I'd agree the Vanilla **stories ** should be brought back. Blizzards reboot, the vandalism inflicted upon the game by Cata and the removal of those stories was an incredibly stupid and wasteful thing to do. But that actual *gameplay*? No.

EJL
    i like this also^ also good points and constructive

I think it would be a good thing honestly. The problem is why bother when then are at least 3 or 4 high pop private servers already doing very well. Blizzard isnt going to be shutting these servers down so basically there is already blizzlike vanilla, bc and wotlk servers out there to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    I think it would be a good thing honestly. The problem is why bother when then are at least 3 or 4 high pop private servers already doing very well. Blizzard isnt going to be shutting these servers down so basically there is already blizzlike vanilla, bc and wotlk servers out there to play.
    Another good point but i think its more of i know cdew brought it up last night he would actually like to stream it and soda also i mean those guys and streamers alike are dependant on the blizzard stamp.. so if blizzard is like here is a legacy server poof they can stream it which is awesome and its at no lose to our current accounts they just add servers like they have over the years just make them legacy style and just rerun their patch logs (i understand its no simple task to just flop a server out with a game from 10 years ago and on a timeline run a old patch log through) but its to my understanding the easiest way to execute and like u said there are private servers but what if blizzard does this and those guys are like HELL yea and come back to sub thats just more money blizzard makes with appealing to the older wow generation.

Deleted
    and load content patches in at the same rate as the old days
    If nothing else they'd have to increase the rate of content introduction at least. It's a faster world now than 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gowron View Post
    If nothing else they'd have to increase the rate of content introduction at least. It's a faster world now than 10 years ago.
    another good point people do like to be alittle more upbeat now and if they did dedicate a legacy team they can add in new content within the old content maybe another blackrock dungeon or storyline format

Deleted
    Thread lock soon stalker

ribald i question your post considering its been all constructive but one.

Deleted
    threads have been locked for simply asking this question in the past

thanks for trollssss since ur not a admin

another good point people do like to be alittle more upbeat now and if they did dedicate a legacy team they can add in new content within the old content maybe another blackrock dungeon or storyline format
    That's just it, they shouldn't add anything to legacy servers. They should get the system patches so things don't break but the game should remain in it's state. If they add new content to legacy servers, they either need to add it to live servers or not at all. The game's story has moved on, the stories from Vanilla carried over to BC (Well, mostly WC2) and then into Wrath. Like it or not, they also carried into Cataclysm with many of the revamped zones based around the aftermath of the Cataclysm and how it affected that zone. I'd go so far as to say the story stopped there, since Mists took a footnote (Pandarens come from Pandaria in WC3) and turned it into a continent and an expansion (Compared to Outland/Draenor, which was a detailed area in both the novels and seen in WC2). Same for WoD, really.

I'm all for legacy servers, I think they'd die within a year but I'm all for it. Would be nice to go back 10 years and feel old. I just don't agree that they should get new content. The idea behind the legacy system is that you play the game as it used to be. That said, Timewalking would apply to 60 (I think? Or was it capped at 70?) as well so you'd have all of Vanilla's content available at max level, which is probably 2-3 expansion's worth of content more than we had at the time.
    Last edited by Matt0193; 2015-05-15 at 12:11 PM.

Didn't read the OP because I wanted to be snarky...
    From the Wiki

Expansions
    There have been 21 expansions to the original game since release. Expansions are purchased separately and provide additional content to the game (for example: raising the maximum character level; adding new races, classes, zones, continents, quests, equipment, game features). Additionally, the game is updated through downloaded patches. The EverQuest expansions:

Title Release Date Level Cap
    The Ruins of Kunark 2000 April 24 60
    The Scars of Velious 2000 December 5 60
    The Shadows of Luclin 2001 December 4 60
    The Planes of Power 2002 October 29 65
    The Legacy of Ykesha 2003 February 25 65
    Lost Dungeons of Norrath 2003 September 9 65
    Gates of Discord 2004 February 10 65
    Omens of War 2004 September 14 70
    Dragons of Norrath 2005 February 15 70
    Depths of Darkhollow 2005 September 13 70
    Prophecy of Ro 2006 February 21 70
    The Serpent's Spine 2006 September 19 75
    The Buried Sea 2007 February 13 75
    Secrets of Faydwer 2007 November 13 80
    Seeds of Destruction 2008 October 21 85
    Underfoot 2009 December 15 85
    House of Thule 2010 October 12 90
    Veil of Alaris 2011 November 15 95
    Rain of Fear 2012 November 28 100
    Call of the Forsaken 2013 October 8 100
    The Darkened Sea 2014 October 28 105

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard has said no. There is nothing left to discuss about it.