Poll: Are we the only intelligent life in the whole universe?

Thread: Are We Alone?

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I sometimes wonder if the people who flock to these types of threads are sci-fi fans and given that we are on a gaming website it's not wrong to assume that many of the above posters are into science-fiction which is what aliens/travelling through wormholes/warpdrive. You have to look at the evidence and put your hands up instead of entertaining grown-up fairy tales.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    There's tons of testimonies, pictures, videos, questionable cover-ups, etc. I don't think everything was made up or was a mistake.
    I haven't seen or heard anything that was even close to being trustworthy. Notice how every video even today goes blurry when they film a UFO? There are too many wackjobs and attention-seekers out there and no credible evidence.

Plus if a super advanced alien species had visited Earth they had probably wiped it for life and taken the resources. I doubt they'd let a single UFO crash and just let some government dissect their people without showing up to the rescue.

10+ Year Old Account
    The math says the probability of there being more then one life giving planet is high.
    So what is the chances for abiogenesis to occur on any given planet then?

I'll give you a clue if you need it we don't know.

It is highly unlikely we will ever get to interact with any other sentinent being not from our solar system - so we might as well be alone.
    It is highly improbable that we will ever be aple to disprove the existence of other sentinent beings not from our solar system, so the whole thing is purely philosophical.

The math says no. I hope it's right.
    The math says no such thing.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I would love if we ended up contacted by the Asgard eventually.

Unfortunately, I believe that life as advanced as being able to travel between planets may exist but it'd be such a cosmic rarity they'd be so far away they'd never reach us. Plus, humanity has existed for such a brief period of the earth's history, let alone the Universe's. Could be we just have horrible timing, and plenty of civilizations have existed before us, and will exist after us. But we're living in the blink of an eye. Perhaps we're nearly alone now, but have had plenty of predecessors.
    I think that is where the great filters come into play, life itself faces almost continuous threats of annihilation, even we are still very vulnerable to extinction level events as we are still a one planet species, nuclear war or an asteroid might be enough to wipe us out completely as the earth becomes uninhabitable.

I think our problem is the short lifespan of our lives, it makes us short-sighted instead of seeing the grander picture.

You have your opinions, I have mine.
    If you have anything you consider credible evidence i'd love to see it. Aliens are cool but I won't believe they've been here until I see something that indicates it.

The math says the probability of there being more then one life giving planet is high.
    If by "math" you mean "unsupported statements pulled from Outer Yourbuttistan".
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    With such astronauts.....we'll attract every living intelligence there is....

"The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    That's what physics says, not math. Math talks in terms of probability, the probability seeing earth-like planets in a galaxy which is highly likely.
    A planet capable of supporting life does not mean a planet has had abiogenesis occur.

The chance of abiogenesis may be so rare that we are the the only planet it has happened on, or it may be fairly common and the universe is teeming with life, but until we know the odds of abiogenesis happening then...we don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
    so far we have mapped out roughly 1.3million galaxies.
    each galaxy has on average 1 billion stars. half of those has planets (a solar system).

And we yet to discover a fraction of whats out there.
    And this is without the possibilty of multiverses.

Id say its a rather big chance there's more out there.
    Yeah but if intelligence was common, something would've been found. I was referring to this study at Penn State

After surveying tens of thousands of galaxies surrounding our own Milky Way galaxy, the scientists turned up no sign of advanced alien civilizations.

"These galaxies are billions of years old, which should have been plenty of time for them to have been filled with alien civilizations, if they exist," Dr. Jason T. Wright, an assistant professor of astronomy and astrophysics at the university's Center for Exoplanets and Habitable Worlds and one of the researchers, said in a written statement. "Either they don't exist, or they don't yet use enough energy for us to recognize them."

Each galaxy contains what? Billions of planets?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7063232.html

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably, however, if there is life like us if that is what you mean out there, I am guessing it's too far to meet or communicate by the time life on this planet is extinct.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Please provide said math.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    "These galaxies are billions of years old, which should have been plenty of time for them to have been filled with alien civilizations, if they exist," Dr. Jason T. Wright, an assistant professor of astronomy and astrophysics at the university's Center for Exoplanets and Habitable Worlds and one of the researchers, said in a written statement. "Either they don't exist, or they don't yet use enough energy for us to recognize them."
    [/B]

I wonder how often players will bump into each other in No Man's Sky?

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...khatchadourian

Supposedly:
    18,446,744,073,709,551,616 unique planets

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    A planet capable of supporting life does not mean a planet has had abiogenesis occur.

The chance of abiogenesis may be so rare that we are the the only planet it has happened on, or it may be fairly common and the universe is teeming with life, but until we know the odds of abiogenesis happening then...we don't know.
    Yes we don't know in rigorous terms but in my opinion, there is no reason to believe we are alone considering the fact that uniqueness is not common characteristic of our universe.

Yeah but if intelligence was common, something would've been found. I was referring to this study at Penn State

After surveying tens of thousands of galaxies surrounding our own Milky Way galaxy, the scientists turned up no sign of advanced alien civilizations.

I made a thread about this study (I'll find it in a mo) and yet people were coming up with excuses while they dismiss God who has infinite proof.

Anyway, why are people obsessed with finding life elsewhere? The search for extra-terestrial life as well NASA/space-travel is immoral and unethical as long as Humans suffer on earth from poverty and famine.

Deleted

You also have to consider for the light of all those galaxies to reach us, which is also quite a huge timeframe, seeing as it took humans only ten millenia to go from the stoneage to modern times.
    and other then that, there is a large disbelief of aliens every being able to travel from one galaxy to another as there is such a huge voidness inbetween, how will you fuel your vessel without anything nearby to fuel it. unless we eventually become a type 3 civilization and find ways to teleport throughout the universe, but if that were possible, where are all the advanced alien species then?

Where are those known life giving planets those numbers are based on?
    Hint: Just the number of planets being high is not enough and it is relatively easy to detect life based on radiation from the star of the system when you can detect the planet itself. (Yes they might take their from energy elsewhere, but that is so much less likely that we can ingore those cases for now. If they were common enough for us to get numbers on them the other kind of biologic system would be everywhere we look).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Anyway, why are people obsessed with finding life elsewhere? The search for extra-terestrial life as well NASA/space-travel is immoral and unethical as long as Humans suffer on earth from poverty and famine.
    How so?
    If we had only ever allowed people to do things that have readily apprent benefits on our food situation we would all be starving constantly today.

I doubt that we will find life on another planet (let alone intelligent life) in my lifetime. That said, just because we haven't found life yet doesn't mean it's not out there. We're not going to find it if we don't go looking for it!

It is my hope that within the next 1000 years we will be able to colonise other worlds and ensure the survival of our species. If we are unable to achieve such a goal I guess we could at least hope to create robots smart enough to explore the universe on their own. These robots could be equipped with records of our long dead world and biological material to attempt to seed life on suitable worlds our robots discover

Quote Originally Posted by iebe View Post
    You also have to consider for the light of all those galaxies to reach us, which is also quite a huge timeframe, seeing as it took humans only ten millenia to go from the stoneage to modern times.
    and other then that, there is a large disbelief of aliens every being able to travel from one galaxy to another as there is such a huge voidness inbetween, how will you fuel your vessel without anything nearby to fuel it. unless we eventually become a type 3 civilization and find ways to teleport throughout the universe, but if that were possible, where are all the advanced alien species then?
    type 3 civ? LMAO who comes up with these labels. See what I mean with sci-fi obsession