7+ Year Old Account

Questions about Monster Hunter series

Hey guys. It's a me! I was getting itchy for a final fantasy ish game, and I remembered I had never checked out Monster Hunter. I want some questions answered before I spend lotsa coin on it.

1. Is it PC compatible? And I mean you can play it, not just it runs on PC.

2. Are all of them good? If so what's the best? Worst?

3. Can I play it single player and beat it?
    Protect the weak. Punish the wicked.
    If you have something bad to say about Blizz, come at me bro.

There is only one actual PC game, and it's only in Asia. Emulator wise I'm not sure. The majority of the games are either on the PSP, Wii, Wii U, or 3DS. The newest is on the 3DS, one of the older ones are on sale though on the PS Vita if you have one, it's the PSP version of the game though.

They're all good in my opinion, the newest one definitely takes leaps and bounds though ahead in my opinion with the new monsters and it has the most unique weapons.

There is a single player mode specifically that you should be able to beat it. There's also the Guild quests which are meant to be done in a group though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    There is only one actual PC game, and it's only in Asia. Emulator wise I'm not sure. The majority of the games are either on the PSP, Wii, Wii U, or 3DS. The newest is on the 3DS, one of the older ones are on sale though on the PS Vita if you have one, it's the PSP version of the game though.

They're all good in my opinion, the newest one definitely takes leaps and bounds though ahead in my opinion with the new monsters and it has the most unique weapons.

There is a single player mode specifically that you should be able to beat it. There's also the Guild quests which are meant to be done in a group though.
    That stinks, but a psp you said?
    Protect the weak. Punish the wicked.
    If you have something bad to say about Blizz, come at me bro.

You can beat the whole game solo and it is not that hard. It's just that the highest tier of quests, G-Rank, is only available in the multiplayer hall ingame and the monster in all the quests in that hall have 80% more hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartumus22 View Post
    That stinks, but a psp you said?
    Yeah, there's Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for it, which last I checked was on sale on the PSN. And most PSP games that are bought off of the PSN can run on a Vita digitally, that's how I played Persona 3 Portable.

There was also Monster Hunter 3 for the PSP, but that was only released in Japan, 3 came here as Tri instead for the Wii/3DS.

Quote Originally Posted by Darometh View Post
    You can beat the whole game solo and it is not that hard. It's just that the highest tier of quests, G-Rank, is only available in the multiplayer hall ingame and the monster in all the quests in that hall have 80% more hp.
    You also have to do MP to get the high rank SP quests.

Kinda annoying.

MH4U is my first MH and I'm enjoying the hell out of it

10+ Year Old Account
    i'd recommend you avoiding FU and the older iterations (the ones before MH4U), maybe MH3U for WiiU. Why you may ask? due to how polished the game got on every new iteration, if you try playing MH1 even on a ps2 emulator not only the controls are bad (they rectified it on FU for the PsVita, the psp you had to play with THE CLAW) but some monsters had their hitboxes completely messed up or there were some serious bullshit situations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flSUgxDxoNg

Anyone who has played MH or watched some content knows about dem hipchecks... plesioth was hell.

-MH1 Had map issues, the areas were not that big but the maps had tons of areas that weren't well interconnected and monsters fled way too constantly making you have to go through a plethora of areas just to go to the area above yours.
    -MH3 Had some pretty big balance issues: blast being way too overpowered & underwater combat.
    -FU was way too hard (either for good or bad): bad hitboxes, difficulty spikes were they weren't needed, camera control and dem bullfangos.
    -All of the previous MH had your character instantly stand up after falling to the ground thus making your character more prone to getting hit again instead of allowing you to time when you want to stand up to not receive damage, same situation with the sleep status when applied to the player, there were some monsters that could spam the living shit out of the sleep till you died =D!.
    -The camera system sucked to be honest... thank god for the targeting system that got implemented in mh3 and for the circlepad

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    You also have to do MP to get the high rank SP quests.
    Kinda annoying.
    MH4U is my first MH and I'm enjoying the hell out of it
    Yeah, the game pushes you to do guild halls content too, if im not mistaken FU and the older ones did too and their communities arent as big as before considering pretty much everybody moved to MH4G-4U

btw dont play MHOnline, it is not even close to what monster hunter is in terms of its mechanics and how the game scales in terms of playability, i haven't played it but a lot of people have and information is around, there is a leveling system that goes against what monster hunter is catered towards (and also a skill system tied to it) and well... it's f2p so it's pretty much a no-no
    Last edited by barackopala; 2015-05-16 at 08:09 PM.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    dem bullfangos
    You really should of put a trigger warning

They were in like, almost every single zone...god.

10+ Year Old Account
    btw one does not just "beat" mh, for example in monster hunter 4 you got "two endings", one of them involving the solo part of the game where you take down kushala daora (if im not mistaken) and the multiplayer part can be considered when killing gogmazios, but the game still brings new enemies to you like shah dalamadur or some new dlc monsters like the white fatalis which is way harder than gogma.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

I don't know how good the ports are but I think Monster Hunter 3 is available for mobile on iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15