Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Running WoW from my desktop shuts my internet down.

So a couple of days ago I started having issues with higher than normal latency and disconnects. I gave it a couple days to sort itself out thinking that because I have seen a few techs in the area they were working on something. Fast forward to yesterday evening, disconnects every 3-5 minuets without fail. I call Telstra (Australian internet provider), I get put on the line with some tech, now he starts asking me about my issue, I explain it to him, and then he checks the history of my account for a this same issue I had a couple weeks back that got sorted out. Anyways, he says, let me log into your computer remotely and check a few setting, so I let him on my desktop, hes checking settings and seems rather flustered that the previous tech did not do what he proceeds to due which is set my modem up for PPPoE. (Please forgive my ignorance on this subject) During the phone call it was getting late and I was still having high lat issues so I just told him I would call customer service back the following morning to get the rest of it sorted out, he said all I needed to do was tell the tech to "remove the noise profile from line" and they would know what to do.

I have spent the last couple hours bouncing back and forth between hold and techs who barely speak English to still have no answer about my issue. It seems odd and I promise I'm not trolling, but now since he's made those changes, everytime I log into wow, within 30 seconds my internet is disconnected, and I dont just mean wow, I mean the lights on my modem turn red and I cant use the internet for about a minute or two until the modem resets its self. The really odd part about this is, I can log onto my wifes laptop with no dc issues, the lag is still higher than normal, but its still a connection.

I'm at wits end and I just went back and checked the settings he changed, they have all reverted back to what they were before which looks like this

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone have any ideas?

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

10+ Year Old Account
    This being DSL you might want to check the connections to the modem itself. If the modem goes out it isn't the computers fault. Either the signal to the modem is weak or the modem is the issue. The issue is on the ISPs end and needs a technician to come and check it out. Wouldn't shock me if the power adapter to the modem is weak. I've seen it before.

The connection to the modem is fine, like I sad, I can surf the net normally on this computer, it's only when I launch wow that the trouble begins.

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

10+ Year Old Account
    Because WOW stresses the modem in such a way that it loses it's connection. It's not WOW and not the computer. BTW is your computer wired or wireless? Cause I assume your wife's laptop is wireless, then maybe try it with a wire or vice versa.

10+ Year Old Account
    modems do tend to up and fritz out for no apparent reason, in the past 15ish years ive had broadband internet ive had to swap out my modem every 3 years on average and most of the time it starts with weird issues like random d/c and trouble reconnecting to the network.

I had a similar issue with Comcast, when I would try to upload a youtube video it would reset my modem. Replaced the modem issue resolved.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the delay. Yes my computer is plugged directly to the modem and so is my wifes laptop. The modem is only 7 months old, as we were supplied a new one when we moved to our new house. I just tried playing again only for it to start doing it all over again after about 10 mins.

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumble View Post
    Thanks for the help and sorry for the delay. Yes my computer is plugged directly to the modem and so is my wifes laptop. The modem is only 7 months old, as we were supplied a new one when we moved to our new house. I just tried playing again only for it to start doing it all over again after about 10 mins.
    Just cause it's new to you doesn't mean it works. Most ISPs take old units and brush off the dust and hand it over to the next customer. That or it's defective. But more than likely it's a line issue to your home and the ISP needs to come and check it out. What's the model number of this modem?

Technicolor TG797n v3. The line itself is fine. The disconnects only occur when wow is fired up.

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry

10+ Year Old Account
    Technicolor TG797n v3. The line itself is fine. The disconnects only occur when wow is fired up.
    How do you know the line is fine? You need a technician to come to the home and test the line. Cause for the modem to drop connection might be a indication of a weak signal to the home. Maybe a device in the home is grounding out the line. Remember DSL relies on the home wiring so make sure there isn't any strange devices or bad wiring. Also make sure there's filters for all devices in the home.

As for the modem/router it looks fine. I can't find anyone experiencing issues with it in terms of brand and model. Doesn't rule it out though. Doesn't your ISP exchange the modem for free anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    How do you know the line is fine? You need a technician to come to the home and test the line. Cause for the modem to drop connection might be a indication of a weak signal to the home. Maybe a device in the home is grounding out the line. Remember DSL relies on the home wiring so make sure there isn't any strange devices or bad wiring. Also make sure there's filters for all devices in the home.

As for the modem/router it looks fine. I can't find anyone experiencing issues with it in terms of brand and model. Doesn't rule it out though. Doesn't your ISP exchange the modem for free anyway?
    Because I can skype and surf the net with no worries. I can youtube (it is slow, but thats what i get for living in australia i guess) and I dont have any connection issues. The trouble only happens when I log into wow.

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry

10+ Year Old Account
    Because I can skype and surf the net with no worries. I can youtube (it is slow, but thats what i get for living in australia i guess) and I dont have any connection issues. The trouble only happens when I log into wow.
    That is not how you test line signal quality. You might be even able to see it by logging into the modem itself, though it's different for every device. The modems do report the signal strength if you know where to look. BTW do you have filters for all phones and devices plugging into the telephone system of your home? ADSL requires this.

Yes I have filters. I also just went out and bought a new modem and replaced every cable with the new ones from netgear. I'm at a loss for ideas, Telstra claim there is nothing wrong with my line because of the tests they run on their end.

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry

10+ Year Old Account
    This might be a silly idea but try installing a network adapter in your PC or try upgrading the drivers for the one on your motherboard. I would even try Wifi just to rule out the network adapter. Most computers use Realtek for network adapters, so try updating the drivers. Also Telstra is going by what the modem reports, not a technician. If the lights still go out on the modem it's losing signal. That or the power adapter on the modem is really weak.

Okay, sorry for the delayed response, Ive been busy pulling my hair out lol. So I know 100% it is a software issue on my computer, it doesn't do it when I log in with my wife's comp. Now I have a feeling it is some sort of virus that might only effect online games (if there is such a thing) because I can do everything else on this computer with no worries. Ive run Slim-drivers and made sure everything is up to date with drivers, Ive ran spybot, malware bytes, avg, and most recently Microsoft security essentials with no luck. Ive uninstalled Curse client, and deleted all my addons and my wtf file. That's done nothing. Ive ran the repair wow tool because I read that sometimes even though it thinks everything is up to date its not and that can cause issues, it downloaded 25mb worth of stuff and that didn't fix the issue either. I'm really at a loss of what to do and I think I've covered all my bases aside from going out and spending $130 dollars on Norton, which if none of the others can find anything I doubt it will. Any ideas please.

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry

this is three years old but this person having a similar issue said they fixed it by disabling "Download while playing WoW" you can try that
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/53491...craft/62172199

Id give that a go but I cant find that option. The only one I can see that looks similar is "Never automatically apply updates"

- - - Updated - - -

Also in case you are wondering, I can sit in the launcher all day without an issue. It's only when I hit play that I get disconnected. it's like what ever it is overloads my connection and it just collapses.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I also JUST ran Windows Defender Offline with no luck.

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry

10+ Year Old Account
    Do a formatting if you really think it's a software issue.
    But I'm with Dukenuke, there's no way to know for sure unless you test all the possibilities. Like he said, it could be even your controller.

What do you mean by my controller. Like I said I ran slimdrivers and everything is up to date, unless that doesn't pick up my mobo.

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry

10+ Year Old Account
    The physical chip. But that's very unlikely.