Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Books] Epic lore/universe Suggestions similar to LOTR or Game of Thrones?

I'm usually one that likes reading huge, epic books that contain not only pretty vast epic story line but a whole universe around its lore.

We all know about LOTR and Game of Thrones but I would like to hear other's suggestions? A couple other examples that I have read is the Stormlight Archive and The Wheel of Time.
    "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"
    "That is the only time a man can be brave."
    -Lord Eddard Stark

10+ Year Old Account
    Dwarves series by Markus Heitz.
    The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    Dwarves series by Markus Heitz.
    The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis.
    I've read the Chronicles of Narnia but I have not read the Dwarves series. Looks very promising I will add it to my list.
    -Lord Eddard Stark

10+ Year Old Account
    Malazan book of the fallen is a very long and very good series, its a bit dark, but so is GoT. David Gemmell also has a very large amount of books that are all standalone but deal with the same universe and a lot of the characters are interacting with each other throughout the books.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shadowrun if you want a really big "universe" with lots of Lore, different timelines, and a combination of fantasy / cyberpunk.

Robin Hobb starting with the Farseer Trilogy.

She has about 15 books all in the same universe.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    I really enjoyed the Dragonlance books.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Horus heresy. It's basically like that but in SPESSSSSS and more badass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea the Dragonlance books are one of my favorites. I might have to give Horus Heresy series a try it's not what I usually read but from what I've seen and the reviews on several of the books it looks to be pretty solid.
    -Lord Eddard Stark

Steven erikssons The malazan book of the fallen.
    Brandon sandersson have anouther seris called The mistborn triology. its a good read.
    Joe abercrombies - The first Law triology and 3 standalones all set in the same universe.
    The broken empire triology by Mark lawrence is has a very intresting universe and is a great read.
    Jim Butchers - The dresden files is a pretty intresting univers. althou a little bit more popcorn fantasy than the above.
    Robin hobb have 13 books all set in the same universe, 3 triologies and 1 quadrology.
    The discworld by terry paratchet is a great read. You will laugh your ass of reading these fantasy comedies.
    you could check out Raymond e feists riftwar saga and his empire triology.

Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen is the only Epic Fantasy Series worth reading.

If you just want lots of books, your best read is easily Discworld by Terry Pratchett.

Glen Cooks' 'Black Company' series is pretty good, and the precursor to GRRM and Erikson.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta back up everyone else saying Malazan Book of the Fallen. That series is TOO good.

One thing I will say though, the first book is pretty shit, but as it was originaly written as a film treatment, it gets a free pass. Struggle through that and you get to one of the most glorious series ever commited to paper.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by yuca247 View Post
    Yea the Dragonlance books are one of my favorites. I might have to give Horus Heresy series a try it's not what I usually read but from what I've seen and the reviews on several of the books it looks to be pretty solid.
    If you want to stick with ye olde fantasie a lot of the Horus Heresy authors also write books set in the Warhammer Fantasy world. It has some of the dwarfiest dwarfs, orckiest orcs and elfiest elves (in three flavours) that you can find. Also three types of humans (savage barbarians, renaissance/early modern and Arthurian knights), Hobbits Halflings of the Shire Moot, two strains of undead (including five types of Vampire), humanoid rats and lizards, beastial humanoids, ogres, giants, dragons, several pantheons of gods and an ever present threat of near-Lovecraftian daemonic horrors.

The Gotrek and Felix "Slayer" series is a good introduction (started by Bill King, continued by Nathan Long and Josh Reynolds, finished by David Guymer) as each book sees the titular characters killing or working with (but mostly killing) prime examples of the Warhammer world's major races.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Gotta back up everyone else saying Malazan Book of the Fallen. That series is TOO good.

One thing I will say though, the first book is pretty shit, but as it was originaly written as a film treatment, it gets a free pass. Struggle through that and you get to one of the most glorious series ever commited to paper.
    I couldn't get through that first book. I may have to revisit that series now that you told me that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I couldn't get through that first book. I may have to revisit that series now that you told me that.
    I've noticed with several epic series, the first book or at least the first half of the first book sometimes tend to start off real slow. I suppose the author has to get some basic background down before going into the exciting stuff.

Some truly great suggestions in this thread that will keep me reading for a while for sure.
    -Lord Eddard Stark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Trust me it's worth it, the first book took me a long time to get through, but then I BURNED through the rest of the series in no time at all.

One note though: Have a bottle of anti depressants handy while reading, Malazan makes Game of Thrones look like fucking Mr Men.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Trust me it's worth it, the first book took me a long time to get through, but then I BURNED through the rest of the series in no time at all.

One note though: Have a bottle of anti depressants handy while reading, Malazan makes Game of Thrones look like fucking Mr Men.
    Really? Humn interesting.

On a side note, the last part of your signature really made me laugh because that is literally what I do.
    -Lord Eddard Stark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yuca247 View Post
    Really? Humn interesting.
    Yeah, it gets pretty grim at points... REALLY grim tbh. I'm kinda worried for the author, he clearly has issues . great story though, GREAT story.

On a side note, the last part of your signature really made me laugh because that is literally what I do.
    Same, I can't count how many times I've finished a game with an inventory full of consumables...

Dragonlance if your one for the classics. 40 years later and it's still one of the best fantasy epics out there. Start with the original trilogy, read the Twins sage, read Summer Flame, then end it with The War of Souls. 10 books long total for the core story, though you can finish each book in about a week if you get really invested.

Arashi brought up Warhammer earlier, and I'd have to second that. Horus Heresy if you want a grand, epic war. Eisenhorn and Ravenor (and their subsequent trilogy together, in that order) is also superb, but is on a small scale character focus compared to saving the entire world.

Shadowrun if you want something cyberpunky, but then you mind as well play the new set of Shadowrun games.

Isn't the Inheritance Cycle like one of those?