Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    She shouldn't have complied in the first place; even if it meant having to take another flight. I just hope she doesn't blame herself for her husband's death. I feel bad for her :/ It's one of the things why as much as I would probably think about suicide, I wouldn't go through with it unless there was nobody left to hurt.
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, you're a real gem, aren't you?
    I wonder how this guy functions in a social setting... Reminds me of the people who stand in front of buildings shouting "Jump!" at the people trying to commit suicide.

Also Johnkie, get over yourself bro, a few more steps into building your own attitude up and you might become Enlightened. In before Thermus and Espe teleport down from space to have you join their merry band of Enlightened folk.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich
    Liberals are against discrimination, except when it coincides with their own personal hatreds. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor
    Yah because I'm stroking my evil lapcat while sitting in my Ivory tower of oppression built on the skulls of those less fortunate.

I think the woman shouldn't have followed the rules.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe that link I posted didn't catch enough eyes.....

Cell Phones Interfere with Plane Instruments
    Finding: BUSTED
    Explanation: Never mind what the chatterbox in the seat next to you says about cell phones messing with plane navigation — those metallic birds are built airtight against foreign signals and operate on entirely different frequencies than cell phones.

So why all the fuss about phones? When you make a call at 10,000 feet, the signal bounces off multiple available cell towers, rather than one at a time. That means too many phone-happy jetsetters might clog up the networks on the ground, which is why the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) — not the Federal Aviation Association (FAA) — banned cell use on planes.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

This whole "rules are rules!" mentality is retarded. It's like zero tolerance in schools - it's an excuse for admins to not have to think about any individual case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Shhh... the enlightened people may hear you
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich
    Liberals are against discrimination, except when it coincides with their own personal hatreds. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor
    Yah because I'm stroking my evil lapcat while sitting in my Ivory tower of oppression built on the skulls of those less fortunate.

Deleted
    sounds like she had a pos husband. so no real loss.

Do cell phones even work reliably in the air on jets?

You're traveling so fast that you would be constantly switching from one tower to another.

my take on cell phones. You can already use them on airplanes in ALL phases of flight provided they are in airplane mode. You want to make a call? Why? Your available window for making a call after takeoff is not very long. After takeoff you are only going to get service for a couple thousand feet at most. After that...nothing so it's really kind of moot.

Furthermore there as also a safety component is arguably involved that doesn't have to do with interfering with the aircraft systems. You know the people who serve you drinks on a flight? There are NOT there to serve you drinks. That is an ancillary duty. They are there primarily to facilitate getting passengers off the airplane in an emergency. your ability to recognize and follow crew instructions becomes kind of hampered if you are busy on your phone.

My take on why she did raise a bigger about making her call/getting off the plane. Flying is a very stressful experience for most people. An experience that takes them WAY outside of their comfort zone. By the time people board an airplane they have run through a gauntlet of authority people telling them exactly what they can and can't do...where they can and can't go...how to get there. They are for the most part "sheeple." As such many people don't realize how the dynamics work between crew and pax. It's very easy to believe that some people really don't understand that if you want off a plane badly enough you can get off. If an FA tells you to get off the phone, there is nothing he or she can do to compel you to get off short of threatening you with law.

My guess this lady was one of those people. Couple that with some severe stress associated with her husband telling her he is going to kill himself, and it is highly unlikely that she was operating on anything approaching full mental efficiency.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post

You're traveling so fast that you would be constantly switching from one tower to another.
    See above...No they don't. I don't think it's a matter of speed so much as just being out of range of them all.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post

Don't work at all on commercial flights at altitude. Cell towers don't have that much range.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    No study can guarantee 100% that they won't interfere. Do you want to be on the plane that goes down on even a slight chance?

Btw - phones don't work on flights because the cell towers range is directional - aka horizontal not vertical. Vertical range is almost nonexistent. Commercial flights also cruise at 35,000 ft not 10k.
    Last edited by Cerus; 2015-05-18 at 05:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Don't work at all on commercial flights at altitude. Cell towers don't have that much range.
    Btw - phones don't work on flights because the cell towers range is directional - aka horizontal not vertical. Vertical range is almost nonexistent.

Wait, so all of those movies where someone sneaks off to the bathroom to make a heroic/nefarious phone call from cruising altitude are lying?

How dare you, Sir!

On a serious note, don't most commercial flights have phones for emergency uses?

Quote Originally Posted by Maltah View Post
    Wait, so all of those movies where someone sneaks off to the bathroom to make a heroic/nefarious phone call from cruising altitude are lying?

How dare you, Sir!

On a serious note, don't most commercial flights have phones for emergency uses?
    Lol movies.

One would think so. Some flights even have mini towers for passenger phone usage. It's probably a case of too many passengers BS them and so they have a no use at all policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

You are all forgetting that even though phones dont interfere with planes anymore you CANNOT make a CELL phone call at 10.000 feet. There isn't any signal that high.
    So unless she was asking the pilots to make a call for her or use the in-plane phone (which she could do at just a really high price) this story is a bit off.
    AS for them not letting her into the cockpit to bother the pilot that's a 9/11 problem. Anyone could fake a text and get into the cockpit to cause problems.

It's a horrible situation but the airline is not to blame in this case. Neither is the woman, she was obviously stressed and out of her normal mind so didnt think clearly like any of us are doing now and could have just left the plane, called cops in her home and had them go to her house. That's just panic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why did she get on the flight? Why didn't she use the phone on the plane instead of her cell phone?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

As far as tower/cellular range goes electromagnetic waves carry on indefinitely with concentration of 1/r^2 but the photons carrying the energy of the wave are more or less indivisible. So the fact that there's less interference at altitude from other electronic devices would more or less balance out.

even the 9/11 hijackers let people call their families

Quote Originally Posted by Ziphr View Post
    even the 9/11 hijackers let people call their families
    They wanted to crash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something is up with this story.. you don't just comply with 'no phones' when your husband is about to kill himself. I hate to say it but it's her own fault for not nutting up and telling the flight attendant to suck a dick, that said.. I doubt she could have said anything to stop her husband from suiciding.

Quote Originally Posted by rayden54 View Post
    They wanted to crash.

well yeah, plus they were just trying to placate the passengers so they didnt panic and fight back

but it still amuses me :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Something is up with this story.. you don't just comply with 'no phones' when your husband is about to kill himself. I hate to say it but it's her own fault for not nutting up and telling the flight attendant to suck a dick, that said.. I doubt she could have said anything to stop her husband from suiciding.
    Yeah, this was not a small plane, they have in flight phones she can pay to use. Just like getting on another flight because her husband is in turmoil, my guess the issue is her being cheap, more than her cell phone being taken.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi