10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third

NCsoft hopes its AI tech will lead to less predictable game environments

Wonder how this will play out

http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/18/nc...-environments/

NCsoft is spending time and money on artificial intelligence, according to a report in the Korea IT Times. “Controlling games [in a] mobile environment is becoming more complicated and difficult. If artificial intelligence is applied to games, it will bring bigger fun to users,” said CFO Yoon Jae-soo in a recent conference call.

The company plans to use its AI technology to create unpredictable game environments, with the first such titles likely arriving in 2016.
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If it is an original and fun idea, why not?

I, for one, welcome our new robotic and smart Game Masters!

Assuming this project (as usually happens to such) doesn't get cancelled within the year, this could make gameplay interesting again, where you actually have to plan your moves and abilities more carefully when fighting, rather than just monotonously walking in, spamming your buttons, avoid standing in fire and GG.

Doesn't really matter, they want to focus on mobile gaming for the future. This might apply to Lineage eternal but unlikely.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Doesn't really matter, they want to focus on mobile gaming for the future. This might apply to Lineage eternal but unlikely.
    Sauce?

They're expanding their mobile game lineup (as is just about every major publisher), but they've still got 2 PC exclusive games in the works (Master X Master and Lineage Eternal) and are still providing strong support for and rely almost solely on their PC titles to keep the company afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Ugh I even see commercials for mobile games before movies in a movie theater.

I hate the mobile gaming platform.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

They were going to try something crudely similar with Story Bricks for Everquest Next, but that fell through. I know it wasn't true AI, but it would kind of work like AI would.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

This seems to be one of the next big frontiers for gaming. Storybricks and Ken Levine were big on this. I think Storybricks shut down though after the Daybreak fiasco.

Levine's project is still in the works and I think we should hear something soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    Wonder how this will play out

http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/18/nc...-environments/

NCsoft is spending time and money on artificial intelligence, according to a report in the Korea IT Times. “Controlling games [in a] mobile environment is becoming more complicated and difficult. If artificial intelligence is applied to games, it will bring bigger fun to users,” said CFO Yoon Jae-soo in a recent conference call.

The company plans to use its AI technology to create unpredictable game environments, with the first such titles likely arriving in 2016.
    I have an update : the first of such titles will also likely be closing in Jan 2017.