Deleted

SSD Installation!

Hello,

So tomorrow my new Crucial MX100 256GB SSD is going to arrive and I'm wanting to install that and use my current HDD as a storage drive (I.E all my downloads some games I play but not often) and I was wondering how I go about transferring all my current stuff from my HDD to my SSD. So I have a few questions.

1. I heard the Crucial MX100 comes with cloning software should I just use that?
    2. Once I've cloned the drive over to my SSD what do I then do with my HDD so I can use it.

3. If cloning is a bad idea will this disk I have (Picture Below) be able to install windows 8 brand new?
    4. Is there anything else I should know of when doing this, so I don't mess things up?

10+ Year Old Account
    you will want to change the boot priority in your BIOS first. making sure the SSD is before your HDD.

idk about that disk, it doesnt look like a multiple use install disk. that might be locked to your current HDD. those types of freebie disks are usually one and done. (only good for the one HDD you install it on)

once you are certain you have a good windows disk just pop it in the disk drive and install it on your SSD.

once that is finished you boot up as normal then you can access your HDD thru the my computer. copy your most played games (or frequently used programs) over to the SSD.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2015-05-19 at 03:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would just download Macrium Reflect, clone the drive over, boot from SSD, and format the HDD.

You may need to take a couple steps to make sure AHCI is functioning properly, but thats easy to do once you get to that point.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Crucial MX should come with Acronis to use.

Deleted
    Thanks for the help, but I have one or two more questions.

As I kind of want a new install on my SSD but don't have the windows disk could I do it like this?

Use Acronis to copy all my files from my HDD to my SSD, then format my HDD, transfer my wanted files from the SSD to the HDD, unplug the HDD then use this method to have a fresh start (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...fresh-reset-pc)

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you going to use a Win 7 or Win 8 license?

For Win 7, download this ISO here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery . You have to put in your license key, and it will provide the correct download.

For Win 8, download this ISO here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-refresh-media . You have to select the correct version, and it will download and create the ISO for you.

Microsoft doesn't provide the iso's direct via digitalriver anymore, and instead use these Media Creation things. You can create the ISO from there, and slap it onto a USB drive with the "Windows DVD to USB Tool" and install windows that way. Its how I do everything now.
    Last edited by chazus; 2015-05-20 at 01:16 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Are you going to use a Win 7 or Win 8 license?

For Win 7, download this ISO here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery . You have to put in your license key, and it will provide the correct download.

For Win 8, download this ISO here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-refresh-media . You have to select the correct version, and it will download and create the ISO for you.

Microsoft doesn't provide the iso's direct via digitalriver anymore, and instead use these Media Creation things. You can create the ISO from there, and slap it onto a USB drive with the "Windows DVD to USB Tool" and install windows that way. Its how I do everything now.
    Ahh thanks a lot I decided to just copy it over and delete the things I don't need.

I've finally finished installing my new PSU/GPU and SSD and I was wondering if there was a way I could monitor my GPU and such to make sure I've done it properly or does the fact It's turned on indicate it's all done properly?

- - - Updated - - -

I've came across this in device manager, and I'm now worried i've buggered something up.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's probably either 1) Your Chipset drivers, or 2) USB3.0 drivers.

Deleted
    Thanks a ton for the help, but now I'm wanting to upgrade my case as the one I have is very small (My GTX970 has no room at either end. So I was wondering if you could recommend a decent cheapish case.

Motherboard:- MSI Z87-G43
    CPU:- Intel I5-4670K
    GPU:- MSI GTX 970
    SSD:- Crucial MX100
    HDD:- Seagate Barracuda 1TB
    PSU:- XFX TS 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply

I am a big fan of the Corsair 200R. It's a very basic case but it fits everything as long as you are not looking for watercooling with a 240mm radiator. It'll fit a 120mm radiator though, and has 160mm of clearance for air coolers. I fit a Noctua NH-D14 in mine. It has lots of spots for additional fans, 8 total, and behind the motherboard cable management. Great case for the price if you don't want something flashy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I am a big fan of the Corsair 200R. It's a very basic case but it fits everything as long as you are not looking for watercooling with a 240mm radiator. It'll fit a 120mm radiator though, and has 160mm of clearance for air coolers. I fit a Noctua NH-D14 in mine. It has lots of spots for additional fans, 8 total, and behind the motherboard cable management. Great case for the price if you don't want something flashy.
    Thanks a lot that seems perfect for what I need it for, cause my current one is small it seems to have air flow issues.