Thread: Gun Culture

Page 1 of 27
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Gun Culture

Straight up. How do you all feel about guns? Do you feel them necessary as protection? Do you collect them as a hobby or just enjoy them? Do you think everyone should have a firearm around them at all times?

Is a place with a lot of guns safer then a place with fewer guns. (deterrence or risk factor)

Should you be able to shoot anyone for any kind of crime no matter how big or small.

Do you love guns with all your heart or find them to be an annoying topic?

give me your thoughts and opinions. Me personally, I don't really care for guns. I've honestly never been around them enough to care.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only own 20 some odd of them, so I am not sure how I feel about them....

10+ Year Old Account
    I cannot legally own one. But I grew up around them, hunting and training with them. My wife has bought quite a few for me, I just cannot leave our property with them so no one will ever know I can access them. I hunt and shoot for fun on my own land.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by helmaroc View Post
    Straight up. How do you all feel about guns? Do you feel them necessary as protection? Do you collect them as a hobby or just enjoy them? Do you think everyone should have a firearm around them at all times?
    I feel that if you live someplace where you feel you need a gun for protection, maybe you should move to a place that isn't ridiculously dangerous.

For instance, the US has a lot of cities with really serious issues, and I understand why people who live there might want a gun for self-defense. I don't understand why they live there, in the first place, given the danger; there is literally no city in all of Canada with anything comparable.

I'm not anti-gun, I'm just pro-responsibility.

Is a place with a lot of guns safer then a place with fewer guns. (deterrence or risk factor)
    The concept of deterrence has been pretty thoroughly debunked. People don't resort to violence rationally, in most cases. And there'd only be a deterrent factor if they were being rational. It's like the lack of deterrence with punishment of crime; nobody commits a crime thinking they'll get caught, so the heaviness of the punishment isn't a real factor.

Also (and I feel this will continue to come up), see Canada vs. the USA. Canada is, objectively, way safer. Stricter gun control, particularly on handguns. So no, more guns does not equal more safety.

Should you be able to shoot anyone for any kind of crime no matter how big or small.
    Even the Wild West wasn't actually the Wild West of the movies. This is a ridiculous and inhumane position to take.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The concept of deterrence has been pretty thoroughly debunked. People don't resort to violence rationally, in most cases. And there'd only be a deterrent factor if they were being rational. It's like the lack of deterrence with punishment of crime; nobody commits a crime thinking they'll get caught, so the heaviness of the punishment isn't a real factor.
    Either that, or they commit the crime not caring what the consequences are - a "heat of the moment" decision, for example.
    This is another reason that giving such unrestricted access to firearms concerns me.

It is an American right to own guns.

Owning a gun is also a responsibility.

Use of deadly force should be authorized to protect yourself or another from deadly force.

If you are in the position to shoot someone in defense of self, or another, shoot to kill because dead people can't defend themselves in court, or sue you for civil damages.

Guns are dangerous and too accessible. I think there are better nonlethal weapon choices if you want to defend yourself, and hobbyists should find another hobby.

7+ Year Old Account
    I own around 15 guns. The 2nd amendment is extremely important to Americans. Support for gun rights is the highest it has been in over 20 years. Support for gun control has fallen.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...hts-increases/

It stinks of "Murica" and "Freedum"
    Aslong as they keep the killings over there I'm fine with it tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by helmaroc View Post

Do you love guns with all your heart or find them to be an annoying topic?

give me your thoughts and opinions. Me personally, I don't really care for guns. I've honestly never been around them enough to care.
    In order:
    I love them, and would shoot all day, everyday, if I could. I don't feel they're necessary for protection, but they certainly act as a pretty nice deterrent. I don't think everyone should have a firearm around at all times, and should it happen, it should be well after we un-fuck our mental health system here in the states.

A place with no guns is safer (from gun related crimes) than a place with a plethora of them.

Fuck no. What a stupid premise.

I love shooting guns, but hate hearing about them on a near consistent basis. That said, the conversation should happen due to violence happening with them (again, here in the US)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maulina View Post
    or sue you for civil damages.
    Their families can.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    and hobbyists should find another hobby.
    You first?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I feel that if you live someplace where you feel you need a gun for protection, maybe you should move to a place that isn't ridiculously dangerous.

For instance, the US has a lot of cities with really serious issues, and I understand why people who live there might want a gun for self-defense. I don't understand why they live there, in the first place, given the danger; there is literally no city in all of Canada with anything comparable.

I'm not anti-gun, I'm just pro-responsibility.

Also (and I feel this will continue to come up), see Canada vs. the USA. Canada is, objectively, way safer. Stricter gun control, particularly on handguns. So no, more guns does not equal more safety.

Even the Wild West wasn't actually the Wild West of the movies. This is a ridiculous and inhumane position to take.
    Demographics could also play a significant part in the difference in gun crime between Canada and the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Demographics could also play a significant part in the difference in gun crime between Canada and the US.
    It's possible. Pew research and another organization found that gun ownership per-home has dropped off quite a bit since the 70s or so (read the article a few months back) while the number of guns has skyrocketed, due in part to people like me and the poster above who have multiple firearms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want the gatling gun the A-10 has.

I don't mind guns or people owning them. Mind you, I have zero tolerance for anyone wielding it like a toy or mishandling the firearm though. If you're going to be using one you better know what the hell you're holding and the consequences behind it.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

Not really a fan and wouldn't mind less of them flooding the US. Having said that I can't really begrudge people who go to guns for their form of self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    it should be well after we un-fuck our mental health system here in the states.
    I am a marksman.
    I do not have a gun.
    Because i will use it.
    In a moment of weakness.
    I won't miss.
    But my family would miss me.

7+ Year Old Account
    I simultaneously cannot stand both the batshit crazy "Obama is takin' mah guns!" NRA types who day dream about shooting another human being (legally!) and the soft, sanctimonious, circle-jerking anti-gun wankers you tend to find around here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a marksman.
    I do not have a gun.
    Because i will use it.
    In a moment of weakness.
    I won't miss.
    Watch out, we have a badass here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a marksman.
    I do not have a gun.
    Because i will use it.
    In a moment of weakness.
    I won't miss.
    I hope you're not referring to self harm

15+ Year Old Account
    It is an American right to own guns.
    true

Owning a gun is also a responsibility.
    also true, but not everyone sees it that way

Use of deadly force should be authorized to protect yourself or another from deadly force.
    I don´t think you need a gun for that to be authorized.

If you are in the position to shoot someone in defense of self, or another, shoot to kill because dead people can't defend themselves in court, or sue you for civil damages.
    Chipsus Crisp, you don´t advise people to commit a killing just so the chances of facing criminal charges is reduced. Also what a fucked up system is that, where killing someone reduces the chances of facing criminal charges.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.