Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Wow. Gonna jump on this series. Thanks!

(I love me a dark ending)
    If you check the series out, try to get the first book under the Earthworm Gods title. The version released as The Conqueror Worms was altered some by the publisher, Keene himself considers Earthworm Gods the proper edition. That said, the differences between Earthworm Gods and The Conqueror Worms aren't major and if you go with the Conqueror Worms it won't be a big deal, whereas the original version of The Rising cut 30000 words that were restored for the author's preferred edition of The Rising. Earthworm Gods 2 was only released in 1 edition so no worries on that one. Dead Sea and The Rising/City of the Dead are even more downbeat(City of the Dead picks up literally where The Rising leaves off). Darkness at the Edge of Town and Ghoul don't exactly end on high notes either. Hell, Dark Hollow is pretty grim all things considered as well and it's another of Keene's happier endings. As a horror fan, Brian Keene's books are awesome, but sometimes, you really wanna punch him in the face for putting his characters through so much danger and misery, only to end up...worse off than they started.
    Last edited by Stormcall; 2015-05-22 at 11:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would suggest The Survivalist by Jerry Ahern, 27 books.

The metro series are based on books, so that might be a read.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Extrakt View Post
    The metro series are based on books, so that might be a read.
    More info please.

The Road. One of the best books I ever read.

Lots of great suggestions. Thanks everyone!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    I would suggest The Survivalist by Jerry Ahern, 27 books.
    Does this series have a religious theme to it? I was reading some of the reviews, and they seemed to be pointing to a "Christian" theme of values behind the actions of the heroes.

Does Fallout: Equestria count as post-apocalyptic themed ? =)

But yeah, I'll have to throw in 'Canticle for Leibowitz' and 'This Book is Full of Spiders' for the first ones I can think of.

Check out Mark Lawrence. His 'thorns' series and now the new one with Jalan are both post-apocalyptic series. And, frankly, better than anything King has ever put out.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Does Fallout: Equestria count as post-apocalyptic themed ? =)

But yeah, I'll have to throw in 'Canticle for Leibowitz' and 'This Book is Full of Spiders' for the first ones I can think of.
    I have to put a thumbs up in for A Canticle for Liebowitz as well. Not mad max style, but a great post-apocalyptic speculative work.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Check out Mark Lawrence. His 'thorns' series and now the new one with Jalan are both post-apocalyptic series. And, frankly, better than anything King has ever put out.
    I was just looking at the descriptions of the "Thorns" series and they don't seem like post-A stories. They look good, don't get me wrong, but it looks like magic and sorcery. Apologies if I'm missing something, and I'm always looking for a good series (and I'm gonna grab this one), but I'm a little confused.
    Last edited by cubby; 2015-06-07 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I was just looking at the descriptions of the "Thorns" series and they don't seem like post-A stories. They look good, don't get me wrong, but it looks like magic and sorcery. Apologies if I'm missing something, and I'm always looking for a good series (and I'm gonna grab this one), but I'm a little confused.
    Ok, let me go a little deeper for you (mild spoilers for the 'Thorns' series from Lawrence)
    Essentially Humans got so advanced we started shaping/altering reality (like the laws of physics), then we nuked the crap out of each other. Some humans 'ascended' to what they consider godhood and some still have slight ability to shape reality (magic). The entire society is still based on what we have today, in the bits and pieces that survived the nuclear war. For instance there is still 'The Church in Roma' and 'White Jesu'. There is also a nuke set off in the trilogy, and Jorg talks, numerous times, to different AIs that are still alive from the time of the 'builders'. You also find 'builder artifacts' and different stuff.

Let me warn you really quick, though, that Jorg, the 'protagonist' in this first series, is a bloody-handed bastard that will destroy anyone who gets in his way on his quest for power. This isn't a nice 'good guys' book. I don't think there are any good guys in this book.

Its essentially a couple hundred/thousand years further forward than something like 'immediate post apocalyptic'.

You could also grab Stephenson's new book 'Seveneves', which deals with the moon essentially igniting the atmosphere for 5k-10k years and humans struggling to find a way to continue as a species, and then it transitions to what has happened after the atmosphere is livable again...
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Here's a couple more for the list:
    Adrian Barnes-Nod
    Meg Elison-Book of the Unnamed Midwife

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ok, let me go a little deeper for you (mild spoilers for the 'Thorns' series from Lawrence)
    Essentially Humans got so advanced we started shaping/altering reality (like the laws of physics), then we nuked the crap out of each other. Some humans 'ascended' to what they consider godhood and some still have slight ability to shape reality (magic). The entire society is still based on what we have today, in the bits and pieces that survived the nuclear war. For instance there is still 'The Church in Roma' and 'White Jesu'. There is also a nuke set off in the trilogy, and Jorg talks, numerous times, to different AIs that are still alive from the time of the 'builders'. You also find 'builder artifacts' and different stuff.

Let me warn you really quick, though, that Jorg, the 'protagonist' in this first series, is a bloody-handed bastard that will destroy anyone who gets in his way on his quest for power. This isn't a nice 'good guys' book. I don't think there are any good guys in this book.

Its essentially a couple hundred/thousand years further forward than something like 'immediate post apocalyptic'.
    Excellent, and thank you for giving me a more detailed explanation. They are on my list - thanks again.

You could also grab Stephenson's new book 'Seveneves', which deals with the moon essentially igniting the atmosphere for 5k-10k years and humans struggling to find a way to continue as a species, and then it transitions to what has happened after the atmosphere is livable again...
    That one was already on it.