Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

If I were Valve I would sue Blizzard

Don't wanna hate but come on just saw the new gameplay trailer and it looks so much like TF2. If Blizzard sues Chinese companies that basically copied the concept of Hearthstone than Valve should sue Blizzard for Overwatch. It's embarrassing for Blizzard how they just copy paste so much stuff.

What exactly are they going to sue them for?
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    If they did, they would lose. There is not enough basis to say that they directly copied the game, especially considering the fact that there are many other TF2-like games out there already. Just because it is the same type of game doesn't make it reasonable enough to sue.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Deleted
    Because we all know - Team-Based-FPS is something only Valve came up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Koenigstiger View Post
    Don't wanna hate but come on just saw the new gameplay trailer and it looks so much like TF2. If Blizzard sues Chinese companies that basically copied the concept of Hearthstone than Valve should sue Blizzard for Overwatch. It's embarrassing for Blizzard how they just copy paste so much stuff.
    The Chinese company copied EVERYTHING about hearthstone(the art, the abilities, etc.. etc..). Blizzard copies ideas. You can't trademark ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good thing you're not Valve, or Valve would be throwing money at a lawsuit that they would have no chance of winning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

You can patent them tho

10+ Year Old Account
    If Valve sues Blizzard for Overwatch I would like to see Blizzard sue Valve for DOTA 2, which has a way closer resemblance to WarCraft 3 than Overwatch has to Team Fortress 2.

Deleted
    Seriously?..

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing like TF2..

10+ Year Old Account
    That probably wouldn't work out in Valves favour, you can copyright characters and story settings, but gameplay mechanics? Not so much.

Final Combat was a TF2 rip-off, Fireman Soldier with the same rocket launcher...The Fishman Heavy with the same minigun. Go Google this game, this is the game you should be pissed at.

The closest things I can think of that Overwatch is a rip-off to TF2 is:
    -Torbjorn's 200 scrap and that he hits his sentry with his melee to upgrade it up to level-3.
    -The Healing stream of Caduceus Staff is basically the same healing stream of the medigun.

Everything else is based on generic mechanics, rockets, sniper rifles, shotguns, teleportation, invulnerability, mega-jumps, sentries (yes sentries are generic mechanics too), etc etc. Valve doesn't have a creative licence of these.

If I were Valve I would fire the OP.

Didn't TF actually start as a Quake mod?

Deleted
    Then The Lumière brothers should sue every filmmaker for copying them ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    If Valve sues Blizzard for Overwatch I would like to see Blizzard sue Valve for DOTA 2, which has a way closer resemblance to WarCraft 3 than Overwatch has to Team Fortress 2.

This. So much this. Valve should have been sued into oblivion for DoTA 2.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    This. So much this. Valve should have been sued into oblivion for DoTA 2.
    They were and Blizzard lost, well "settled". There was probably some money exchanged behind the scenes.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Val...ent,15688.html
    Last edited by Gsara; 2015-05-23 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    They were and Blizzard lost, well "settled".
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Val...ent,15688.html
    That was over the name, not the game itself.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vjnzen View Post
    Because we all know - Team-Based-FPS is something only Valve came up with.
    Nope, but they are taking certain map modes and taking inspiration of the general concept of tieing personalities to playable characters in shooters.

Take note i find this sort of thing to be rather normal in gaming or any other media platform everyone takes from everyone, Blizzard is however very much know for taking concepts and making them more accessible and therefor perceived more succesfull.

I don't think this will harm TF2 in anyway or even drag me away from that game, Overwatch has similarities however the concept of RPG elements in terms of skills is something different and might work great or totally not at all. Depends how far the decide to take away the twitch "skills".

They already did, remember? LOL.

Meanwhile LoL and DoTA's main hero rosters are full of carbon copies of Warcraft III units (because they tried to clone the original DoTA WCIII mod as closely as possible) and this is somehow fine. To the point that Valve actually sued Blizzard for the name "DoTA" which originated in a Blizzard product, but Valve bought the rights to it. I mean...

Anyway, Blizzard has always taken the best of games in an existing genre and made it their own. Warcraft borrowed from Dune 2000, Diablo borrowed from roguelikes, WoW borrowed from Everquest, Hearthstone borrowed from MtG...

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Didn't TF actually start as a Quake mod?
    Yeah first it was a Quake mod, then the next version used Half-Life's Source engine I think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.