Deleted

Protection pvp. Am I doing something wrong?

I don't get it. I read the guide and convos about protection warriors being really tough in 1v1 and randoms but I'm just not seeing it. Granted I'm not fully epic geared, just sword&board and rings are epic which amounts to 680 ilevel in pvp environments, so only 10 ilevels below fully epic geared, but I when I hit bgs it's like I'm not doing anything at all.

I seem to be doing really low, like really low, damage which is particularly noticeable when I go against locks. I got shrekt by this shadow priest which seemed to be casting nothing but instants that hit like a raid boss. I got double tagged by a couple of rogues when I hear prots can do 1v2 against rogues and I sure as hell couldn't. Surprisingly, I seem to be focused a lot in bgs and I get rekt instead of tanking them.

Shield Barrier is nothing, it goes down in like 1-2 sec, and Shield Block doesn't prevent you from being stunned and when you're stunned, shield block does nothing.

Any tip would be appreciated.

Protection PVP just isn't good ever since they nerfed Shield Slams dispell. Go arms for arena and Fury for BG's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Protection PVP just isn't good ever since they nerfed Shield Slams dispell. Go arms for arena and Fury for BG's.
    Oh, I'm doing full prot pvp, not gladiator. SS still dispels for full prot.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    BA is still your best stat. Focus to get good gear in these slots. you might still wanna take both pvp trinkets for bonus. thunderclap is your best friend for classes who try to outrun you. Dont forget about spellreflect. pummel everything. dont bother with shieldblock against casters. pick sudden death as a talent. use enraged regen early to be able to use it again. pick anger management.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

I've gone for more Versatility/str/BA set up.

Pvp prot is very strong

Pros - Very high survivability esp vs melee
    - Constant heavy dps
    - Shield slam dispels
    - Stuns every 20 seconds
    - Aoe slows

Cons - Limited CC
    - Vulnerable to snares/kiting ( like all warriors, but this coupled with lack of burst makes it hard to get in constant dps )
    - No shattering throw
    - No strong magic defence

Vsing healers you're strong vs Druids priests, Average vs shamans and monks and Extremely weak vs paladins, its literally gg if you face a holy pally. They will still kill you in a 1v1 after a long time, but they will.

Spam shield barrier if you're getting focused. We get shit loads of rage with the set bonus. Shield block vs melee.
    With anger management many CDs are shortened. Keep up Demoralizing shout when you can, try pop it before your spidey sense can smell a stun coming.

Enraged regen with last stand and health boost trinket when possible - will literally heal you to full.

Thunderclap is free, hit that badboy whenever you can in big battles. This does lots of damage in BGs and slows errrthang

Can beat most classes in 1v1 depending on skill lvl. Hardest classes been mages, hunters, boomies,
    Even varied fights based on skill been Dks, locks, feral, monks, ret.
    Easiest been warriors and rogues shad priests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elodia View Post
    I don't get it. I read the guide and convos about protection warriors being really tough in 1v1 and randoms but I'm just not seeing it. Granted I'm not fully epic geared, just sword&board and rings are epic which amounts to 680 ilevel in pvp environments, so only 10 ilevels below fully epic geared, but I when I hit bgs it's like I'm not doing anything at all.
    OP remember just because you've read a guide, that doesn't mean everything in that guide is 100% true. In fact, the people who write those Prot pvp guides are mostly random battleground heroes that overstate how good their favorite scrub spec is. You've been mislead and deceived by them. Next time, don't even bother with reading guides. Just figure everything out on your own. If you decide to read a guide, just take bits and pieces of the information that is actually useful and try to test how credible that information actually is. If you find out that its false information or "situational" then you've found a flaw in the guide. Guides are not flawless as well as the people who write them

I seem to be doing really low, like really low, damage which is particularly noticeable when I go against locks. I got shrekt by this shadow priest which seemed to be casting nothing but instants that hit like a raid boss. I got double tagged by a couple of rogues when I hear prots can do 1v2 against rogues and I sure as hell couldn't. Surprisingly, I seem to be focused a lot in bgs and I get rekt instead of tanking them.
    The damage is low because well you're playing a Tank spec. No matter how many times these guide writers claim how "good" the damage is, realize that in reality, the damage is piss poor compared to Arms/Fury. It shouldn't be a shocker considering y'know those specs are actual DPS specs but I guess lies that are spammed enough by a selective group of randoms will make any new/casual player believe that a Tank spec can perform competitive dps in a pvp setting.

IDK where you heard the lie of "Prot can 1v2 Rogues" from but you need to remember that these people who play Prot and write guides for it are mostly random battleground/Ashran heroes that 1v2 bad players wearing bad gear. A fully geared tryhard Prot Warrior can solo 2 bad Rogues that are wearing shit gear. But that same fully geared tryhard Prot Warrior will lose to any random 2k rated fully geared female human Combat Rogue from Kel'Thuzad.

Again, it needs to be stated that these guide writers base their experiences off of things that support how powerful their favorite spec is. They won't tell you about the experiences against players with a brain that outplay their horrible low damage spec.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vathius View Post
    Pvp prot is very strong

- Constant heavy dps
    - Shield slam dispels
    - Stuns every 20 seconds
    - Aoe slows
    1) Very high survivability against melee - Somewhat false.

The only melee Prot has high survivability against are the DPS Warrior specs and 2 handed Frost DK's. The other melee either already have low sustained damage or have magical melee attacks that bypass armor.

Assassination Rogues, Combat Rogues, Sub Rogues, DW Frost DK's, Unholy DK's, Retribution Paladins are able to bypass armor and completely fuck a Prot Warrior through either burst cool downs or overall high sustained damage. Prot Warriors do not deal enough overall sustained damage to counter the amount of healing these melee classes are capable of doing.

Blocking doesn't matter when these classes during burst have ways to ignore blocking. Ret's during Avenging Wrath will still fuck you with Judgement/Hammer of Wrath. DW Frost DK's will fuck you with Howling Blast and spam Frost Strike while you're stunned. Unholy DK's can just run away from you forever and kill you with 40 second Gargoyle + Pet damage + Dots. Rogues in general will be able to get behind you when they want to and Killing Spree hits from behind while Envenom ignores armor completely.

2) Shield Slam Dispels. This isn't as much of a benefit as people claim.

A class that's brought for damage is better off with a MS debuff effect over a Dispel. Wizards can cover the purge/dispel spamming. Warriors are a damage bot class where the more pressure the Warrior does, the better the Warrior is. Therefore, the Warrior is better off with the MS debuff over the dispel because the MS debuff stacks even more pressure.

3) Stuns every 20 seconds - aoe slows. Dumb statements.

An Arms Warrior can spec Anger Management/Warbringer/Stormbolt and get stuns every 20 seconds. What extra stun does Prot have that I'm missing unless somehow Concussion Blow returned to the game.

Fury has a better Aoe Slow over both Arms and Prot. Piercing Howl is a baseline 15 yard range while Thunderclap even glyphed with Wind and Thunder only reaches 12 yards.

4) Constant heavy dps. Lol.

I just want to ask you people that play Prot. Where is the damage? Where is it? The damage outside of Bloodbath/Avatar is horrible. You basically spam noodle attacks that require uptime. Arms Warriors basically get more damage out of using less gcd's.

Pure Prot Warriors have no "CS mechanic or Enrage." I know Prot has Enrage, but its completely inferior to Fury Warrior Enrage because Fury Warrior Enrage is more powerful with its Mastery. With Prot, you basically just mash buttons with no boost to damage outside of Avatar/Bloodbath. It must be really sad to play this spec.

And to me, what really kills Prot is the fact that it doesn't have Recklessness. This means that Prot will never reach the burst levels of Arms/Fury no matter what because its missing this vital dps cool down.

I overall do not understand why anyone would play Prot in a competitive setting when pure healers can cover the survivability part for you. When you play Prot, you're basically sacrificing crucial damage that the entire class is meant for in PvP, for extra survivability that doesn't even matter in a team setting. And it's even worse when you realize that Prot actually is worse survival wise against Wizards than Arms and Fury is.

Next season will be the rise of Wizards because Wizard damage on PTR is insane. Idiots that play Prot will be nuked to hell without the Defensive Stance mitigation bonus.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also OP try not to read too much of what Ryan is posting in this forum. If you wonder why, just skim thru his last few posts and get a general idea.
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing wrong with what I'm saying.

There's never any reason to play a Tank spec in PvP. I actually have zero respect for anyone who plays a Tank in PvP because anyone who lowers themselves to play a Tank spec is trash in my opinion. Nobody likes Tanks, nobody wants them to be viable (even Blizzard) and they should never be apart of the PvP game. It's impossible to balance a role where its supposed to have more survivability but less damage than normal damage dealers. Why? Because either the tank spec has too much damage where it basically makes pure dps obsolete or it doesn't do enough damage where its not competitive.

If you want to play a "tank" you're better off playing a Rogue. 30% reduction from Feint Elusiveness, CoS, double Evasion, double Vanish, almost infinite run speed, Recuperate, Combat Readiness. Rogues are amazing tanks, the best in game.

You could also (Although, I wouldn't recommend as the class is trash) play a Death Siphon Unholy DK that's glyhed into Icy Runes. You basically spam Death Siphon off of Death Runes instead of using Scourge Strike and you have a stable amount of livelord survivability.

Keep in mind both of these classes actually deal damage and can survive better than any pure tank spec. You could be bad and play a Prot Warrior or you could just play a different class that has everything you want. I'll say it again, you're playing the wrong class if you want to be good at 1v1's or have survivability. This class is meant for brainlessly mashing a pve rotation and putting out as much damage as you can.

Deleted
    Prot makes a fine 1vs1 fight. But in bgs or any pvp they just ignore your low damage and go for a better (squishier target). There isn't anything to tank apart from flag carrying where other classes (druid, dk and even rogue) are better suited for.

Simple summed up. No long read. Sadly this is what you get.
    Last edited by mmoc00cfd16bb2; 2015-05-23 at 05:38 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinka View Post
    Prot makes a fine 1vs1 fight. But in bgs or any pvp they just ignore your low damage and go for a better (squishier target). There isn't anything to tank apart from flag carrying where other classes (druid, dk and even rogue) are better suited for.

Simple summed up. No long read. Sadly this is what you get.
    +1. You peeling capabilities are somewhat low as well, so you cant do much about them bashing your squishy partner.
    I did a few double prot arena matches tho. Just for fun. Fun was had.

There's never any reason to play a Tank spec in PvP.
    Well considering the objective in arena is to 'kill' the opponent, a tank spec can be fun to play in this circumstance.

Don't come here bashing someone for wanting to play something that's viable and fun. Of course there are lots other classes that have better damage and survivability but the play style might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Flaming and saying you have 'zero respect for anyone who plays a Tank in PvP' and anyone who 'lowers themselves to play a Tank spec is trash', is pretty low and not in the good spirit of this warrior forum. Try it out sometime its actually pretty fun to play and you'd be surprised how effective it can be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vathius View Post
    I've gone for more Versatility/str/BA set up.

Pvp prot is very strong

- Constant heavy dps
    - Shield slam dispels
    - Stuns every 20 seconds
    - Aoe slows

Cons - Limited CC
    - Vulnerable to snares/kiting ( like all warriors, but this coupled with lack of burst makes it hard to get in constant dps )
    - No shattering throw
    - No strong magic defence

Vsing healers you're strong vs Druids priests, Average vs shamans and monks and Extremely weak vs paladins, its literally gg if you face a holy pally. They will still kill you in a 1v1 after a long time, but they will.

Spam shield barrier if you're getting focused. We get shit loads of rage with the set bonus. Shield block vs melee.
    With anger management many CDs are shortened. Keep up Demoralizing shout when you can, try pop it before your spidey sense can smell a stun coming.

Enraged regen with last stand and health boost trinket when possible - will literally heal you to full.

Thunderclap is free, hit that badboy whenever you can in big battles. This does lots of damage in BGs and slows errrthang

Can beat most classes in 1v1 depending on skill lvl. Hardest classes been mages, hunters, boomies,
    Even varied fights based on skill been Dks, locks, feral, monks, ret.
    Easiest been warriors and rogues shad priests.
    Yeah, I have to say that gear plays a huge part. Once I got decent gear I stopped getting rekt. Faced a few geared mages and hunters in random pvp and it's not as hopeless as you'd think. With double time and avatar, I find being able to stick to mages and hunters not that hard. They still do a shitload of damage but as prot I can eat it up without dropping hopelessly low, whereas a dps spec would be wrecked.

- - - Updated - - -

There's never any reason to play a Tank spec in PvP. It is when you actually like 1v1 victories, not arena facerolling with a healer up your butt who does all the work anyway.

I actually have zero respect for anyone who plays a Tank in PvP because anyone who lowers themselves to play a Tank spec is trash in my opinion. Lol, like I give a shit. When I play my hunter everyone says hunters are noobtards that no one respects. When I play my dk, the same thing happens. If I'd play a feral druid, I'd once against have to deal with the..."lack of respect". If I'd play anything that happens to be good at pvp, I'm a noobtard. So excuse me for not giving a shit about your lack of respect, as well. Hahahaha.

Nobody likes Tanks, nobody wants them to be viable (even Blizzard) and they should never be apart of the PvP game. Pretty sure a lot of people like playing tanks in pvp.

It's impossible to balance a role where its supposed to have more survivability but less damage than normal damage dealers. Why? Because either the tank spec has too much damage where it basically makes pure dps obsolete or it doesn't do enough damage where its not competitive. It's not impossible in 3s, where is the pvp that matters is. I'm not sure but I don't think there are any gladiator rank prot warriors in 3s, or maybe a few?

If you want to play a "tank" you're better off playing a Rogue. 30% reduction from Feint Elusiveness, CoS, double Evasion, double Vanish, almost infinite run speed, Recuperate, Combat Readiness. Rogues are amazing tanks, the best in game. Don't like rogues, thanks.

You could also (Although, I wouldn't recommend as the class is trash) play a Death Siphon Unholy DK that's glyhed into Icy Runes. You basically spam Death Siphon off of Death Runes instead of using Scourge Strike and you have a stable amount of livelord survivability. That's the most boring playstyle I have ever seen. Unholy already does low burst, the last thing it needs is lower than burst even further, then might as well mess around as a "dps" disc priest or "dps" holy pala

Keep in mind both of these classes actually deal damage and can survive better than any pure tank spec. You could be bad and play a Prot Warrior/hunter/ret pala/dk/feral druid/<insert fotm class/spec that gets whining attention> or you could just play a different class that has everything you want. I'll say it again, you're playing the wrong class if you want to be good at 1v1's or have survivability. This class is meant for brainlessly mashing a pve rotation and putting out as much damage as you can. Right, because there aren't many classes in the game that do a brainless pve rotation in pvp, it's just tank specs that do
    Thanks for your great input.
    Last edited by mmoc96751f44c7; 2015-05-25 at 11:07 AM.