Thread: Whiskey/Bourbon

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral Camel View Post
    I've heard good things about Japanese whiskeys. I've not tried any myself, but I've got a few next on my list.
    Really, really good. Especially on the very high quality, I have a Hibiki 21 I bought there last December, that's by far the best whisky I ever tasted (which feels really strange to admit, since I usually drink single malt, and this one is a blend).

Lower quality Japanese whiskys are quite good, but unless you're in Japan they're often quite expensive. Really likes the Yamazaki, found everywhere at low prices there, and quite good overall.

For unusual stuff Amrut was also surprisingly good (Indian whisky), very particular taste. But same thing, will probably be quite expensive outside India.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesglory View Post
    Whisky stones are better than ice with good whiskys as they don't dilute the flavor quite as much but it's still better just to drink it at room temperature.
    No, just don't. If you want to add anything the only good thing is room temperature water. Anything colder will only hide the flavor until it gets back to room temp.

Simply adding room temperature water can make the flavors much better though, since it pierces the small oily surface that prevents lots of the flavors from being released, that's especially true on very strong whiskys (almost any over 50% will benefit a lot from this). This can be just a few drops, the goal is not necessarily to dilute it, just to get this reaction (which actually makes the whisky slightly warmer, even if water and whisky are at the exact same temperature, this reaction is slightly exothermic). Any expert taster will dilute whiskys with room temp water to get more detailed aromas, most usually go for around +20% water added, some will often go as far as getting the resulting alcohol level to something around 20%.

Ice should really be added only for the same kind of whisky you'd mix coke or things like that, will make a refreshing drink, but you'll hide most of the flavor, doing so in a good whisky is kind of a waste.
    Oh, hi.

Deleted
    Trembling with rage at the use of 'e' in WHISKY!!!

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slenderman View Post
    But Whiskey is how it can be spelt.

I would dive into Rums before I dove into anything outside of Vodka.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd recommend Laphroaig, but it seems to be a bit out of your price range.

The graphic on the right sums it up for me, "Smells like medicine. Tastes like soil. My Whisky of choice".

Or perhaps Ardbeg if you want to have a night to remember.

Though if you drink a bit too much you won't remember anything...like your name, or how to breathe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slenderman View Post
    Whiskey is the correct spelling for American + Irish whiskey.

Only Scottish whisky is called whisky.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikesglory View Post
    Whiskey is the correct spelling for American + Irish whiskey.

Only Scottish whisky is called whisky.
    Wooooooooosh!

Bourbon's a much easier gateway into the world of whiskey than jumping up to good scotch. We have a bottle of Laphroig cask strength that I'll enjoy from time to time, but it'd be a pretty obnoxious beverage if you hadn't eased into enjoying spirits and then peat.

My favorite bourbon within reasonable price numbers is Four Roses Single Barrel. Should run about $40, very smooth, but plenty of nice oaky, vanilla pop to it.

Deleted
    Funnily enough even though I'm Scottish I prefer American stuff.

First of all, drink it on the rocks. You can add a splash of water if you really want to dilute it. That way you aren't drinking crap assed soda too.

Oddly enough, I went from mixing Canadian whiskey or bourbons with cola, to trying "nicer" kinds on the rocks, to Irish whiskey on the rocks, to nice scotch on the rocks, to less expensive (but not bad) scotch on the rocks, to finding a cheap Canadian whiskey (found a cheap one I can tolerate on the rocks). I sort of came a complete circle minus mixing it with soda. I just hate spending $50 or more on a 5th of booze.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither, drink Bailey's!

Do love me some Bailey's...

Whiskey Sour is a good cocktail to get started on. Not hard to make, has enough cleverness to it that you can make "good" whiskey sours that actually taste better. Very good drink.

Straight whiskey is very much a high class exercise. I'd be loath to drink anything straight that was under $80 US and that is pushing it. They just package up the garbage and it tastes horrible compared to the higher end stuff.

If you don't have familiarity a good way to get it is to find a Cigar Lounge in your city or nearby. They will usually have a good selection with a trained bartender who can guide you on the ride. Don't go to sports bars and stuff, Cigar Lounges always have great bourbon/whiskey selections. In fact there are quite a few cigars that have good pairing of flavors with various liquors if that becomes a thing for you. Another treasure trove people sometimes never see is the specialty bar clubs in airports for first class/special travelers. Quite a few of them are gone but you still have a few operating and those bartenders will rock your socks.

10+ Year Old Account
    you have to know which Bourbons and Whiskey's to use with which styles of drink. for example Jack Daniels Old No. 7 should be mixed with coke. like seriously, thats what they tell you on the tour of the Distillery. while their Gentleman Jack and their Single Barrel liquors are "sippin" liquors; meaning learn how to sip it correctly and not shoot it, there is a difference.

Bourbons can be similar to whiskey's in that regard, as well as personal preference. i enjoy cheaper bourbons to mix with coke when i just want a drink. i save the more expensive stuff for "sippin" when i want to experience its true quality and flavors. usually when im just relaxing in the evenings or if i have guests over or special holidays.

i have to admit, as another poster stated, Jim Beam's Honey Bourbon is really good for sippin' when you are inexperienced or a lush. i still consider myself somewhat inexperienced and im ok with that. im not in a rush to become some pro drinker or anything. i just want to enjoy my learning experience my own way. and really thats my best advice to you, educate yourself and learn as much as you can about the liquors and distance yourself from the younger college crowd of "i gotta drink fast and get drunk". just enjoy the things you learn at your own pace and you will enjoy it a lot more.

also: take a tour of some distilleries if you get a chance. a wealth of knowledge can be found there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Neither, drink Bailey's!

Do love me some Bailey's...
    "You ever drink Bailey's from a shoe?"

But really, if your price range is as dirt cheap as you listed, you're pretty much out of luck. I can't think of any whisky I'd drink over vodka at that price. At least where I live, that's like plastic handle prices, so just buy whatever's the strongest, really.

For a first time scotch drinker you cant go wrong with MacAllan 12. its a little on the pricy side but not so much its not worth a try.

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/product...n-12-yr/644750

Alternatives Glenlivet or pretty much any highland scotch. I find Highland scotch to be a very easy to drink and have a mellow flavor.

BTW the scotch gods kill kittens and rip wings from angels and cause droughts for anyone caught putting ice or mixing good scotch so don't be that guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    "You ever drink Bailey's from a shoe?"

But really, if your price range is as dirt cheap as you listed, you're pretty much out of luck. I can't think of any whisky I'd drink over vodka at that price. At least where I live, that's like plastic handle prices, so just buy whatever's the strongest, really.
    I'm glad SOMEONE here remembers that. I thought it had faded into obscurity

always been a whiskey kinda guy but im not opposed to bourbon. Ive always been a fan of Southern comfort

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Annamarine View Post
    For a first time scotch drinker you cant go wrong with MacAllan 12. its a little on the pricy side but not so much its not worth a try.

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/product...n-12-yr/644750

Alternatives Glenlivet or pretty much any highland scotch. I find Highland scotch to be a very easy to drink and have a mellow flavor.

BTW the scotch gods kill kittens and rip wings from angels and cause droughts for anyone caught putting ice or mixing good scotch so don't be that guy.
    The ice part is correct. It's not uncommon for a dash of water here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I'd recommend Laphroaig, but it seems to be a bit out of your price range.

http://i0.wp.com/www.brobible.com/wp...size=640%2C430

The graphic on the right sums it up for me, "Smells like medicine. Tastes like soil. My Whisky of choice".

Or perhaps Ardbeg if you want to have a night to remember.

https://cdn4.masterofmalt.com/whiski...old-whisky.jpg

Though if you drink a bit too much you won't remember anything...like your name, or how to breathe.
    Those are the two brands I drink the most, both solid tips. You can get better ofc, but that's pricey.

For me, whiskey took a while to get used to.. Just had a glass here and a glass there and gradually liked it better. I wouldn't do a hard switch to whiskey

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I've felt the need lately to switch up my drinking habits a little, just to expand my experience a little. I usually have a few drinks a week (often while raiding >.>).

Right now my drink of choice is pretty plain. Crappy vodka + Soda or OJ.

I'd like to try a few whiskeys or bourbons, as I've never really drank either to any extent. I'd prefer something cheaper if I can help it, that doesn't taste like arse. Do you/can you mix anything with them? Also, are whiskey stones a thing, or just a gimmick?
    I think you need to try different types of whisky so you can find out if you have certain type you enjoy the most. If i were you i would go some well sorted bar or lounge and try some of the better brands. I know from experience that you can find more expensive brands in better hotel bars, pretty sure a bartender could give you some tip.

I think that bourbon can get away with being cheap compared to whisky that tastes like petrol. Not bashing bourbon in general (my prefered drink efter many years of drinking mostly whisky and rum) but thats my experience.

Whisky rocks in stone are just a way to keep it cold. I have a couple of different types as they dont add water to the whisky. Some types of whisky get better with a few drops of water but some just lose flavour but thats nothing you have worry about until you start moving up to the 300-400$ + brands.

So i would say 1) find out what type you whisky/bourbon you like 2) try a few different brand of that type 3) try some new types, evolve. 4) Enjoy your new hobby.