Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Job Rejection (Drugs)

Do you think it is fair to still allow certain states to test for THC and then be allowed to exclude a person from being hired based on a positive test?

Regardless of a state's own laws regarding the consumption of marijuana, more and more state's are making marijuana legal. So since there is nothing illegal about visiting a state say Colorado and consuming what would be considered a controlled substance elsewhere, a business should not be able to legally exclude you from employment, nor should they even be allowed to test for the presence of THC.

*EDIT*
    Just to clarify... I was referring to the initial hiring process.

I was not referring to showing up to work stoned and then being given a random, or not-so-random drug test and being fired. Showing up to work inebriated drugs, alcohol, or prescriptions, is grounds for dismissal or at the very least being sent home for the day.

I am not a druggy, and haven't been irresponsibly drunk or otherwise for a long time. I was more or less simply trying to spark a discussion regarding certain laws currently in place, and how those laws may have a few holes at the moment while states try and figure out where they stand on the issue.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2015-05-20 at 09:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You make the choice to go work for a company that subjects you to such tests that pry too far into your personal life.

My previous boss had an issue with me just smoking cigarettes, i told him and if it was a major issue it was his choice to hire me or not. It had no influence on my work.

I think it's fair of them to ask whatever, just as it's fair of you to decline such jobs. Chances are you probably wouldn't have fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    Do you think it is fair to still allow certain states to test for THC and then be allowed to exclude a person from being hired based on a negative test?

Regardless of a state's own laws regarding the consumption of marijuana, more and more state's are making marijuana legal. So since there is nothing illegal about visiting a state say Colorado and consuming what would be considered a controlled substance elsewhere, a business should not be able to legally exclude you from employment, nor should they even be allowed to test for the presence of THC.
    If it's that business's policy and you know before hand you will get in trouble, why smoke?

I think it's fair to a degree. I mean, marijuana stays in your hair for a decent time, correct? If someone doesn't want to hire a person who looks like they indulge a bit more than they should, then they should be able to do that. It's like, would you want to hire someone who literally stinks like beer?

And yes, I get there's a difference between hair and an actual scent, but the point is would the company really want someone who is prone to abuse a substance?

I mean, I'm not extremely knowledgeable about how they can tell with hair testing, but I'd imagine they can tell if you're a heavy user or if you just used it a bit in the past few months?

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Yea, I wouldn't want people showing up high even if it was legal.

If a company doesn't think you'd be a good fit for them, they should have the right not to hire you.

7+ Year Old Account
    yes it is fair in fact they should report you to the police and get you imprisoned for drug use

10+ Year Old Account
    Their business, their rules. If they don't want weed smokers than that is completely understandable, a good deal of people who smoke marijuana let it effect their lives negatively. I don't drug test any of my employees because I smoke myself, but if they come to work high then we have a problem. Only I can do that

Wanna smoke pot? Find a job that doesn't test.

Quote Originally Posted by Vea Lea View Post
    yes it is fair in fact they should report you to the police and get you imprisoned for drug use
    I second this. Besides, even if you worked in a state where it was legal, showing up high to work is just as bad as showing up drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    Well no one said showing up high. Liquor is legal and that doesn't mean people can show up drunk.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    If they are going to hire you, I think that you should listen and adapt to their rules (if they aren't outrageous, of course).

Deleted
    Doesn't a negative test show you havent smoked pot eh?...

Do you think it is fair to still allow certain states to test for THC and then be allowed to exclude a person from being hired based on a negative test?

Yes.
    Unless you have a medical card, and you should if you want to smoke harassment free.

If you want weed to be like alch then you need to expect to be treated like you are a drunk in places you shouldn't be. Like a job.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

To the OP, yes, if that is there policy, then it is your fault for showing up with it in your system. They have every right to do that.

I mean ... come on. You literally can't get arrested for having THC in your blood. Not only that, but you aren't going to prison for smoking weed.

Also, weed isn't that bad, why should someone be imprisoned for doing something to themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I second this. Besides, even if you worked in a state where it was legal, showing up high to work is just as bad as showing up drunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    He never said he was high at work, he said he had THC in his system. It stays in your system for days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I mean, I'm not extremely knowledgeable about how they can tell with hair testing, but I'd imagine they can tell if you're a heavy user or if you just used it a bit in the past few months?
    As far as urinalysis' go, lab techs only look at the concentration of THC in the sample. Can't really differentiate between heavy and light/recent users. Maybe its possible with other testing methods, but none of them are utilized to the same extent as piss testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Chances are you probably wouldn't have fit in.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by Momentanius View Post
    If they are going to hire you, I think that you should listen and adapt to their rules (if they aren't outrageous, of course).
    Yea, thats the most reasonable thing to do.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

The legality of an activity and a company allowing it are two entirely different non related things. It's not illegal to wear shorts, but many companies don't allow you to wear them at work.

As marijuana becomes legal and more and more people partake, the business rules around it will relax as they will still want the best talent. The problem is without any real way to test for immediate use (like a breathalyzer) companies are likely to err on the side of caution. Companies don't want people with a drug problem working for them, and once they are hired, it's very hard to get rid of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    This might would make sense...if you could actually be arrested for being high or having THC in your system.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Also, weed isn't that bad, why should someone be imprisoned for doing something to themselves.
    all drugs are bad if not used for medical reasons you need allowance from doctor for that

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaskra View Post
    How so?
    People who generally work there would have different world views, seeing people that accept being tested for drug use for a job are more likely to not be in favor of using drugs. What can generally set you apart on a couple more issues. It's not something i would say that it would be so with certainty but it's something i would find to be more likely then not.