Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should Disc Priests start stacking Crit for 6.2?

Based on the new dev post it seems like there will be a massive itemization overhaul for 6.2, and updates to class attainment stats. Im mainly referring to this comment

To help bolster that sense of excitement, we’ve decided to shake things up when it comes to how secondary stats appear on Raid loot in this patch. Inside Hellfire Citadel, you’ll see a wider range of high and low secondary stat values on items than you have in a long time. Alongside some tuning adjustments that should ensure your attuned stats are the right choice, this change should also make it easier for you to identify which items are good for you in a more interesting way than just “equip the highest Item Level.” Our goal is to help make Hellfire Citadel Raid items more distinct and meaningful to you, and we hope you’ll let us know how things feel once you start collecting your new gear.
    Since Mastery is our current best throughput stat, and all Disc priests stack this the only thing this statement could mean that they will make some major changes to our stats and either make our attainment stat mastery, or completely revamp us so crit ends up being our best throughput stat.

Thoughts?

Help me understand how you're coming to this conclusion. Nothing about that dev post screams "DITCH MASTERY, STACK CRIT!"

Deleted
    We want mastery largely due to our current spell usage so until there's some change in disc's playstyle I can't see the stat priority changing too much.

Also, having already compiled a BiS list for HFC and seeing the amount of mastery available I can't see myself wanting to stack crit.

Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambkorma View Post
    We want mastery largely due to our current spell usage so until there's some change in disc's playstyle I can't see the stat priority changing too much.

Also, having already compiled a BiS list for HFC and seeing the amount of mastery available I can't see myself wanting to stack crit.
    It seems like blizzard is trying to encourage Disc to use prayer of healing instead of PW:Shield for AOE. On fights where raw healing is needed to remove a debuff, stacking multistrike and removing all crit could be the best choice.

Deleted
    What makes you say that? I haven't done any PTR testing so I'm not sure if any bosses in HFC have mechanics like that but even if they did, if theres some debuff required to be removed so urgently that your disc has to spam PoH then surely the better option is to switch specs to holy for that fight/drop for another throughput healer. We saw as much when guilds first progressed on Ko'ragh.

Obviously I'm replying very literally to what you said but from what we've seen from Blizz so far, I don't feel like any of it suggests we'll want to change our stat priority in 6.2

What makes you say that? I haven't done any PTR testing so I'm not sure if any bosses in HFC have mechanics like that but even if they did, if theres some debuff required to be removed so urgently that your disc has to spam PoH then surely the better option is to switch specs to holy for that fight/drop for another throughput healer. We saw as much when guilds first progressed on Ko'ragh.

Obviously I'm replying very literally to what you said but from what we've seen from Blizz so far, I don't feel like any of it suggests we'll want to change our stat priority in 6.2
    It's just a possibility that crit may very well be our best stat after Blizzard announced they want to make attuned stats the best.

Of course, given Blizzard's track record at making good with their claims, I wouldn't go out of my way to start massing crit gear.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    It's just a possibility that crit may very well be our best stat after Blizzard announced they want to make attuned stats the best.

Of course, given Blizzard's track record at making good with their claims, I wouldn't go out of my way to start massing crit gear.
    Definitely an intriguing post by Blizz, it'll be interesting to see how they plan on achieving it. It would have to either make critting more reliable or make our crits stronger since I can't see any major class changes coming mid-expansion. I wonder if they would do something incredibly Blizz-like and just make the attunements give us 10% instead of 5.

No no no, you got it wrong! They'll change the attuned stat to mastery.

Quote Originally Posted by maizensh View Post
    No no no, you got it wrong! They'll change the attuned stat to mastery.
    It's the easiest and laziest way out(and also the safest).

But that would also mean that disc would receive a straight up buff, so if they decide to take this route they need to lower the scaling on Mastery as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely an intriguing post by Blizz, it'll be interesting to see how they plan on achieving it. It would have to either make critting more reliable or make our crits stronger since I can't see any major class changes coming mid-expansion. I wonder if they would do something incredibly Blizz-like and just make the attunements give us 10% instead of 5.
    Would require at least 15% for crit to outscale mastery, and even then crit is still slightly worse or merely on par with mastery then.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

But that would also mean that disc would receive a straight up buff, so if they decide to take this route they need to lower the scaling on Mastery as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Would require at least 15% for crit to outscale mastery, and even then crit is still slightly worse or merely on par with mastery then.
    Well id rather take that than MASTERY RULES THEM ALL...and then its a shit show for which stat is next best for us currently.

- - - Updated - - -

They scale together, the more of one you have, the more the other is worth. You can't just throw arbitrary numbers around. In your gear at this exact minute, that may be true, That doesn't mean its always the case.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestar View Post
    They scale together, the more of one you have, the more the other is worth. You can't just throw arbitrary numbers around. In your gear at this exact minute, that may be true, That doesn't mean its always the case.
    That depends on your spell breakdown too, particularly spells that can proc divine aegis vs spells that can't (PW: S)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsparowe View Post
    That depends on your spell breakdown too, particularly spells that can proc divine aegis vs spells that can't (PW: S)
    Absolutely, healing spells have a much lower base scaling with mastery, but as you get more crit, that climbs.

That much is so obvious that I am rolling my eyes you even mentioned it, but the point always was the amount of mastery needed for crit to outscale mastery is ridiculously high and unachievable either in this tier or the next. The point you obviously missed.

15% is the bare minimum for crit to be the situational best stat after factoring a reasonable amount of mastery - and even then, it's not even enough if you compare the values of the stats at a base of zero.

That much is so obvious that I am rolling my eyes you even mentioned it, but the point always was the amount of mastery needed for crit to outscale mastery is ridiculously high and unachievable either in this tier or the next. The point you obviously missed.

15% is the bare minimum for crit to be the situational best stat after factoring a reasonable amount of mastery - and even then, it's not even enough if you compare the values of the stats at a base of zero.
    Yet you somehow felt the need to boldly state that one is "at least 15%" A number which you clearly don't have math to back up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yet you somehow felt the need to boldly state that one is "at least 15%" A number which you clearly don't have math to back up.
    He probably does tbh, he loves his math :P

Side note: dude, you have gotten so lucky with sockets. wow.
    Arthas Logs] | Azgalor Logs | Twitch | Pearl91#1607
    "I am a chemical engineer. To save time, lets just assume that I am never wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl1717 View Post
    He probably does tbh, he loves his math :P

Side note: dude, you have gotten so lucky with sockets. wow.
    I've been picky yes,

As a show of pity to someone who is just barking out of ignorance, it currently takes ~2400 base mastery with 0 base crit for the latter to outscale the former(it's obvious you don't know how much % that translates to, so here it is - ~35% mastery), and if you already had 1000 crit to begin with, it would take you ~3500 base mastery for crit to be better. So using this bit of information, go figure out why 15% attunement is the bare minimum for crit to outscale mastery with reasonable starter values with both.
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2015-05-28 at 06:13 AM.

As a show of pity to someone who is just barking out of ignorance, it currently takes ~2400 base mastery with 0 base crit for the latter to outscale the former(it's obvious you don't know how much % that translates to, so here it is - ~35% mastery), and if you already had 1000 crit to begin with, it would take you ~3500 base mastery for crit to be better. So using this bit of information, go figure out why 15% attunement is the bare minimum for crit to outscale mastery with reasonable starter values with both.
    Okay so, again. What situation. You can't answer that question in 1 value. For someone who has 80% of their healing as PWS the value will be different from someone who does mostly PoH (not arguing which is better right now). In your gear, with your healing usage that may very well be the case, Stop trying to apply it to everyone else, it doesn't match.

If you want to do it properly, do it by spell.

Eg, PWS: At baseline stats, Mastery is worth x, Crit is worth x. They equal at x mastery.
    AA PoH: At baseline stats, Mastery is worth x, Crit is worth x. They equal at x crit.
    etc.

And then anyone can take those numbers and look at their overheal/cast and get a proper value.
    Last edited by Nestar; 2015-05-28 at 08:49 AM.