Thread: Dr House

Dr House

So i was thinking about the old show House. I'm curious his general attitude suggested that the Vicodin made him an asshole however we learned early in the show that he was basically the same before the leg injury. So thinking that he has hard times with relationships as evidence from him being an ass and he's highly intelligent. So is it possible that he had some form of high functioning autism. Maybe Asbergers

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    He was an ass, but the accident made him an ass x 10.
    You cared enough to post.

Deleted
    There is a huge difference between Autism/Aspergers which makes it hard to almost impossible to understand social interaction and simply don't giving a fuck. House understands basic social interaction and norm and is also aware of the reactions his behaviour causes. He simply doesn't care what other people might think. That has nothing to do with Autism/Aspergers.
    His inability to have relationships is also more likely a result of past experiences and his general bitterness.
    Last edited by mmocbcd9308b6e; 2015-05-20 at 08:53 PM.

I'm not personally familiar with Autism/Aspergers, but of all the characters that I've seen over the years, I believe Jerry Espenson from Boston Legal is the closest to reality, and he wasn't as much of a dick as socially insecure. Brilliant but awkward.

House was a sociopath, one very similar to Cumberbatch's Sherlock Holmes. Potentially dangerous individuals who lack empathy and connect with people in unusual, very rational and thus conditional ways.

He was a psychopath.

I think psycopathy is often used interchangeably with sociopathy in today's world, but you can be a psychopath and not chop people up in your basement. In fact, you can be very successful and seemingly right in the middle of society, and be a psychopath. Many world class CEOs are psychopaths. It just involves a lack of emotional connection and empathy, and a manipulative nature. It's a little more specific than that, but it certainly applies to House.

He can't have those. If he did he'd have diagnosed himself as such. He's mother fucking House, best diagnostician in the world. People illegally went to NJ from different countries just to consult him, he's such a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    I'm not personally familiar with Autism/Aspergers, but of all the characters that I've seen over the years, I believe Jerry Espenson from Boston Legal is the closest to reality, and he wasn't as much of a dick as socially insecure. Brilliant but awkward.

House was a sociopath, one very similar to Cumberbatch's Sherlock Holmes. Potentially dangerous individuals who lack empathy and connect with people in unusual, very rational and thus conditional ways.
    House is very much based on Holmes (the clue is in the name).

Also they both live at 22B Baker Street.
    Best friends Doctor James Wilson / Doctor John Watson.
    Both have a drug addiction.
    Both play a musical instrument.
    Both refuse uninteresting cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    He can't have those. If he did he'd have diagnosed himself as such. He's mother fucking House, best diagnostician in the world. People illegally went to NJ from different countries just to consult him, he's such a legend.
    You think he wasn't fully aware of how much he didn't want anything to do with people ? He just didn't give a !@#$.

It's all about the game to him, not about the pieces on the board.

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    House is very much based on Holmes (the clue is in the name).

Also they both live at 22B Baker Street.
    Best friends Doctor James Wilson / Doctor John Watson.
    Both have a drug addiction.
    Both play a musical instrument.
    Both refuse uninteresting cases.
    Always thought it was a pretty blatant Sherlock Holmes retelling but you'd be surprised how many people I've met who never put it together.

Deleted
    I don't think House is based on Holmes, they both are equally cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer was more realistic and real life applications anybody use.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by GingerCub View Post
    House is based on Holmes, Wilson is based on Watson.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So i was thinking about the old show House.
    2004-2012 is an "old show" now? Three years ago is "old"? What the what?

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    2004-2012 is an "old show" now? Three years ago is "old"? What the what?
    Old
    of, relating to, or originating at an earlier period or date

Yes, old is appropriate.

Well, he's right that people don't change.

Our personality doesn't really change, only our behavior does.

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerCub View Post
    Has nothing to do about equally cool. House is based on Sherlock Holmes. Instead of solving cases, he is a diagnostician (sp?) and solves medical cases.