Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Delicious protein powder recommendations.

Hi, I'm looking for a protein powder that doesn't taste like poop when mixed with water or almond milk. I keep forgetting to use the protein powder I have, and I think it's in part due to taste.

Anyone have any suggestions?

It all tastes like shit. I've tried 10+ flavors and a few different brands. Just eat a cracker or something after you drink it, makes the taste go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Hi, I'm looking for a protein powder that doesn't taste like poop when mixed with water or almond milk. I keep forgetting to use the protein powder I have, and I think it's in part due to taste.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    1)Skip it. Save money
    2)???
    3)Profit..

Why protein powder? Seems waste of money to me

10+ Year Old Account
    I drink the muscle milk protein powder after my workouts. They have many different flavors, vanilla, chocolate (one I use), strawberry, caramel, and more. Sure you can taste the powder but you are going to in all other ones as well. It tastes like a milkshake but is not as overwhelming.

I've only tried a couple brands and was hoping someone here had a good recommendation. Boo...

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I try to get protein through diet as much as possible, but I still typically end up under the recommended (approx) 1g per pound lean body weight for muscle maintenance. Also they're nice to drink when you're too busy to cook...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardisbad View Post
    I drink the muscle milk protein powder after my workouts. They have many different flavors, vanilla, chocolate (one I use), strawberry, caramel, and more. Sure you can taste the powder but you are going to in all other ones as well. It tastes like a milkshake but is not as overwhelming.
    I missed this when I posted earlier, thanks for the recommendation

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/10-best-tasting-chocolate-protein-powders.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/10-best-tasting-dessert-flavored-protein-powders.html

Anyone tried any of the brands mentioned in the links?

Deleted
    Personally I like strawberry flavored the most. Before I bought a big tub of whey I bought a box with like 20 different flavors to see which one I liked most, would really recommend finding something like that too

If you're just mixing with water/milk then it's hard to avoid the meh taste; try throwing some fruit in there or some other stuff to thicken it up, that usually helps mask it a little better.
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Optimum do a bunch of flavours, can personally recommend Chocolate Mint and Double Chocolate.

I like optimum nutrition double chocolate and banana cream.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    1)Skip it. Save money
    2)???
    3)Profit..

Its fairly difficult to maintain the 1g protein per 1 1lb bodyweight while keeping a balance of other macros. Protein Powder/shakes make it easier.

Primal Fuel (Chocolate Coconut flavor). I mix this with almond milk and its by far the best tasting protein powder on its own. I have this as a meal replacement every once in a while with a banana and yogurt on the side. This is one of the more expensive protein powders out there, but it's worth it. The vanilla coconut flavor isn't that good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never tried almond milk, but Optimum Nutrition ones tastes pretty good with soy milk.

Whatever Costco has on the cheap. Right now for me it's musclepharm cookies and cream. If protein is bad I add as little water as possible and it'll usually go down in one big gulp (insert that's what she said joke here). If that doesn't work, may need to hike up your panties and tough it out.

I have been buying Optimum Nutritions whey protein for years now. The double chocolate is easily drinkable even in (cold) water. Just make sure you shake it up real good. Spoon stirring leaves clumps. Add the powder to the water (or other liquid) and shake immediately for best results. If the powder sits in the water/milk for too long it becomes harder to break up the clumps.

http://www3.netrition.com/optimum_whey_page.html

Deleted
    https://xxlnutrition.com/nl/eng/xxl-...whey-delicious

This one is by far the best tasting Whey i ever had. And i sampled over 15 different kinds.
    It also has the best mixability, no cluttering.

Dunno if they ship to where you live though, but if they do, id give it a try. Good idea might be to try a sample pack first.
    https://xxlnutrition.com/nl/eng/xxl-...us-sample-pack
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2015-05-22 at 10:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use Six Stars Elite. It tastes pretty good (I use Almond Milk as well, or 1/2 water, 1/2 Almond), and doesn't come off as chalky or flaky. I've tried a number of other brands and a couple I had to toss out because they were literally unpalatable outside of an actual shake.

You might also look into Greens and Whey. It's not -quite- as tasty, but mixes well in smoothies, or do half 6-stars, half GnW. it has a lot of dark greens and spirulina and crap in it, which is good if you don't get your greens on the regular.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

http://www.amazon.com/Dymatize-Nutri...words=dymatize

fucking delicious, good for smoothies and damn near anything else. very light tasting and not over powering

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Stay away from protein powder. If you absolutely want to take a shake, use gainers. Protein Powder /Shakes are terrible.
    The high protein powder only makes you go way past the protein limit your body even handles. And guess what happens. Nothing. You shit it out. Or it turns to fat.
    And there's absolutely no power behind that. However the "Gainer" has shitloads of carbs.

Unless you're on a strict "Diet" where you have limited sources of food, never go for a protein shakes over gainers.
    Hitting proteins is not hard, it's making sure you use your nutritions right, and don't overload with proteins however sort them out.

And proteins rarely have any carbs or fat, if any at all. While Gainers? Shitloads of them, and guess what. A lot of proteins (30%).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Stay away from protein powder. If you absolutely want to take a shake, use gainers. Protein Powder /Shakes are terrible.
    The high protein powder only makes you go way past the protein limit your body even handles. And guess what happens. Nothing. You shit it out. Or it turns to fat.
    And there's absolutely no power behind that. However the "Gainer" has shitloads of carbs.

Unless you're on a strict "Diet" where you have limited sources of food, never go for a protein shakes over gainers.
    Hitting proteins is not hard, it's making sure you use your nutritions right, and don't overload with proteins however sort them out.

And proteins rarely have any carbs or fat, if any at all. While Gainers? Shitloads of them, and guess what. A lot of proteins (30%).
    30 grams per shake. 2-2.5g per kilogram is the bodybuilding standard. The body can consueme 8/10g of whey proteine per hour. So if you take your shake 7 am, 10 am your ready to have your next proteine meal.

Your absolutely right. Lets trade them proteins in for fat and carbs whoohoo.
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2015-05-25 at 09:34 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadNeos View Post
    It all tastes like shit. .
    yep, there is no good tasting protein powder.

You can mix it in with bannanas, other fruit etc and try to hide the taste, it won't work very well.

Just down it quick and resign yourself to the fucking appalling taste of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post

Lol you must be kidding. Why would you want to load up on carbs and fat. Maybe two decades ago when the food pyramid was biased to carbs, but today that has been updated. You want to be eating foods high in protein and fiber and other foods with high nutritional value. Carbs is just processed junk with little nutritional value.