Thread: Tanking 6.2

Deleted

Tanking 6.2

So with a bit of a guild overhaul in the recent weeks I've put myself forward to tank next tier.

We currently have a Guardian Druid running the show and with the buffs fir him in 6.2 it seems he will continue to do so.

I can't find any real, solid feedback in regards to how tanking currently stands next tier. We're a top 400 guild so ya'know, we like to think we're mildly capable at times.

What would you guys recommend as it stands and no significant changes will occur between now and the patch going live?

DK looks strong, although you'll probably need to give him some other mental stimulant so he doesn't literally fall asleep in raids with the lack of breath management. How I'd roughly judge it so far:

DK > Druid > Monk > Warrior > Paladin

Admittedly paladins strength hasn't been its tanking since 5.2, but they're not doing too great these days. Monks may pull it out regardless if a fight is actually truly threatening to tanks due to their AM mechanics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

I'm sorely disappointed in the tank balancing this patch.

While I play a DK and I'd agree breath management needed retuning, the overall tuning of all tanks has gotten to the point where things look very bland across all tanks. Don't forsee much separating the various tank classes now to be honest. As a DK player, I feel like I'm going to be bored since the strength of my performance isn't based upon how well I manage things, so much as RNG.

I might consider rolling a monk just to have a different class stimulate me mentally rather than going back to a staid boring playstyle.

I main a prot warrior and while we are decent now, with the class trinket from archimonde and the tier 18 set bonuses we will get really strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    The tanks I play:

DK: Gonna be op when it comes to staying alive. Weak in dps.
    Monk: Nerfed behind dk. Gonna be squishy taking normal damage but still able to mitigate big attacks with guard.
    I thought the same about dk before checking bos dk rankings..

I'd be careful rolling a Monk unless you're really willing to invest serious time and stress into getting it perfect. They just got a significant nerf and their best, and most reliable, talent just got its length cut in half. They're not going to be utterly terrible but it will be an uphill battle compared to November.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    I'd be careful rolling a Monk unless you're really willing to invest serious time and stress into getting it perfect. They just got a significant nerf and their best, and most reliable, talent just got its length cut in half. They're not going to be utterly terrible but it will be an uphill battle compared to November.
    I think unwittingly, the Devs made DK's a bit more interesting this particular patch, because they actually gave us a very tangible choice of playing a game within a game. Every fight has been about managing, on the spur of the moment, whether or not to bank resources for more damage, or more survival. On top of the standard mechanics to every fight, I had to invest a lot more time and stress into constantly evaluating what was going on and what I could afford to do.

I'm not going to argue that things needed to be dialed back, but for a DK, it's dialed back to the point that I might as well just coast along on auto pilot compared to what I was doing before. I might actually need to go back to stressing and pushing an uphill battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverer View Post
    I thought the same about dk before checking bos dk rankings..
    It'll be severely nerfed after patch. Won't be able to do this near as well. For most of that patch, the majority of your performance will be directly tied to RNG. Most of that control we had will be taken out of our hands, and I personally am not a fan of that playstyle as a tank.
    Last edited by Resurgo; 2015-05-22 at 12:59 AM.

Deleted
    Tanks will be closer together really. Currently there is a large power gap between monks and the rest. And between DKs and the rest.

After the buffs/changes, it will not be so clear cut. Guardians will no longer be near the bottom of the pile, warriors will have more options, monks will stay competitive, though nowhere near as broken. Unfortunately for Paladins, other people getting buffed means they get left behind, though I'm not really agreeing with the doomsaying on their forums. If they are fine now, they will be fine in 6.2. And DKs will probably be best, but not by anywhere near as much as monks were, mostly depending on how much of a nerf the BoS change is considering how they get more multistrike from gear which might well offset the extra cost and loss of the glyph.

It depends on how you view tanks.
    People are saying DK's are gonna be boring and "worse" after the Breath nerf, but the breath nerf is largely just a DPS adjustment (which was severely needed, considering they could compete/beat actual DPS specs in cleave scenarios like Maidens). BoS is/was also a far more reckless playstyle, that lends itself to the fact that you want to skip out on Death strikes at times to generate runic power to keep the breath going; something that just feels very akward if you want to stay alive.

Having a few tanks that I play I'd say that DK's won't be "more boring" than any of the others, because there's still a ton of micro management that can be done if you want to play optimally (time DS with swing timers for max-health DS's, rune conservation and maximizing vamp blood uptime with the 2 set, and an absolute shit-ton of short-CD cooldowns to use at the correct times).
    As for strengths, no doubt are DK's going to be the strongest next tier (probably along with druids); Rune tap and AMS gives tools to handle absolutely anything thrown at a DK on extremely short cooldowns. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Resurgo View Post
    I think unwittingly, the Devs made DK's a bit more interesting this particular patch, because they actually gave us a very tangible choice of playing a game within a game. Every fight has been about managing, on the spur of the moment, whether or not to bank resources for more damage, or more survival. On top of the standard mechanics to every fight, I had to invest a lot more time and stress into constantly evaluating what was going on and what I could afford to do.

I'm not going to argue that things needed to be dialed back, but for a DK, it's dialed back to the point that I might as well just coast along on auto pilot compared to what I was doing before. I might actually need to go back to stressing and pushing an uphill battle.

It'll be severely nerfed after patch. Won't be able to do this near as well. For most of that patch, the majority of your performance will be directly tied to RNG. Most of that control we had will be taken out of our hands, and I personally am not a fan of that playstyle as a tank.
    What are they nerfing? I see "only" bos going from 15 runic power per sec to 20 but the extra ilvl from new gear should compensate

Edit: I see now they removing glyph of icy runes.
    Last edited by Deliverer; 2015-05-22 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverer View Post
    What are they nerfing? I see "only" bos going from 15 runic power per sec to 20 but the extra ilvl from new gear should compensate

Edit: I see now they removing glyph of icy runes.
    There's also the issue with BoS going from 15->20 RP a sec, you only have 5 seconds of BoS available at a time. Now, with raid buffs, your standard max geared DK will have a swing timer just shy of 3 attacks per second; however, the breath stops consuming if you dip below 15 runic power (we can assume that'll be 20 with the nerf, as the only reason why it'd "stop" consuming power even if there's enough power by the time the next tick happens, would be because the spell triggers a stop function when runic power is depleted below the minimum required). That's 6 ticks right now before full depletion (85-70-55-40-25-10+5 runic power from the 1 rp/sec passive). This allows for 2x melee swings to possibly extend it, even with a 3 second swingtimer (with perfect timing and slightly below, it might even be 3 swings).
    With a 20/sec drain, you're max getting 5 ticks, which means you have to start breathing right before you swing to make sure to get 2x hits in for runic power procs. It's not the end of the world, but it's an annoyance that many are gonna fuck up.

i agree with folks saying druid and dk are two of the best
    Last edited by Blur4stuff; 2015-05-22 at 09:15 PM.

I think (and speaking for myself) with the set bonuses and buffs coming to classes in 6.2 the three best tanks overall in HFC would be DK, Monk and Warrior. Simply put, Monks gets their much needed nerf but still being competative, Warriors get their magic mitigation/buffs/tier-sets which boosts their SB to the skies, and DK's are.. well, DKs. Masters of self-healing and short defensive cooldowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    It depends on how you view tanks.
    People are saying DK's are gonna be boring and "worse" after the Breath nerf, but the breath nerf is largely just a DPS adjustment (which was severely needed, considering they could compete/beat actual DPS specs in cleave scenarios like Maidens). BoS is/was also a far more reckless playstyle, that lends itself to the fact that you want to skip out on Death strikes at times to generate runic power to keep the breath going; something that just feels very akward if you want to stay alive.
    There comes a certain time, after you've gotten comfortable with the DK that staying alive is trivially easy to do.

For giggles, I have another DK alt my guild let me try tanking a normal BRF at 646ilvl. That's 24ilvls below what drops in there, and I still did fine. Knowing the fights, and knowing how to use your cooldowns properly as well as knowing what your class is capable of doing, certainly gets you by just as well as having the appropriate gear level to do it with.

Not every DK out there is going to be that thoroughly comfortable with their class, but likely those that are pretty knowledgeable at how to play one will find the next patch to be relatively boring.

I don't deny the DPS adjustment was needed. I'll be the first to admit to it being overpowered. Frankly though, it should have simply gotten an adjustment to the cleave damage it put out. Single target, we might have been slightly above average, but pretty easy for even a mediocre dps class to beat out.

Regardless, it's simply a bit more of a "reckless" playstyle (as you put it) that appealed to a subset of DK tanks that wanted to do more than simply stay alive. With the mechanics changes in WoD, it really is a no brainer to stay alive. Some of us simply liked being able to contribute more to the raid.

More to the original topic:
    I see the next patch as a bit more of a homogenizing of all the tank classes so no one stands far above or below the next. So to be honest, it truly will be more of a "Play what you like" scenario.
    Last edited by Resurgo; 2015-05-22 at 08:39 AM.