Page 1 of 2
LastLast

If or when you have children, will you nurture their intellectual pursuits?

If or when you have children, will you nurture their intellectual pursuits particularly at younger ages (before high school)? How will you do it and are there limitations?

Throw them outside after breakfast, don't let them back in until lunch is ready, throw them back out after lunch.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I'll abuse them so it'll whip them into shape for the real world. I'll become an alcoholic to supplement my abusive behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    If or when you have children, will you nurture their intellectual pursuits particularly at younger ages (before high school)? How will you do it and are there limitations?
    You should keep your children ignorant and stupid for as long as possible. How else will you keep them living in your house until their early 40's?

Yes. Of course I'll do everything in my power to let my children pursue their intellectual interests.

Unless it's something stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Explosive Anarchist View Post
    Nurturing more feminists, marxists and activists?
    First mistake is calling modern members of those "intellectuals".

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Nurturing intellectual pursuits leads to them living with you till theyre 44. You instead guide them to a job within their skillset that they will actually make money at. Intellectuals are a waste of skin and money

Deleted
    I read to my son from an early age and that seems to have translated into a sustained interest in writing - he's now studying English literature at uni and wants to be a writer.

Less successful were efforts over many years to get him to follow the Kumon maths programme (Japanese-style rote learning). Yes, he learnt his times tables etc but it seems to have put him off maths for life.

The lesson I draw is try to create an intellectually stimulating environment for your kids but don't try to force it.

I know "Tiger mothers" can get their kids to make impressive accomplishments by a tough love approach, but it wasn't for us. I didn't have the energy or ruthlessness, and I do wonder about the emotional consequences of trying to force your kids to do things against their will.

10+ Year Old Account
    My wife and I endorse our 11 year old's intellectual pursuits. She plays the violin, attends regular meetings of both her school's Science and Technology Clubs, and this summer wishes to attend a foreign language course at the local high school for French. We allow her the freedom to indulge in whatever she might be interested in but once enrolled must see the activity through to the end.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    My wife and I endorse our 11 year old's intellectual pursuits. She plays the violin, attends regular meetings of both her school's Science and Technology Clubs, and this summer wishes to attend a foreign language course at the local high school for French. We allow her the freedom to indulge in whatever she might be interested in but once enrolled must see the activity through to the end.
    I really like that philosophy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    No. Nurturing intellectual pursuits leads to them living with you till theyre 44. You instead guide them to a job within their skillset that they will actually make money at. Intellectuals are a waste of skin and money
    God I love the Orlong show.

Not all intellectual pursuits are created equal. A degree in philosophy has very little practical application. A degree in chemistry has a ton.

Pushing everyone into trade skills is dumb.

Deleted
    I'll make them my slaves. No fun allowed, only studying.

*eyes squint*

Isn't that what parents were supposed to do in the first place?
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Deleted
    If by nurture you mean "beat until they are smart" then yes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Eh, of course. Whatever they want to pursue, I'd support.. If they didn't find any particular interest, I'd try to show them mine.

Kids are eager as hell to learn and explore, the worst thing you can do is suppress that.

My limitations would be financial and time.. Gotta remain in the real world too.

i thought children were just for mowing the lawn, taking out the trash, and supporting parents in their 60's?

I have a child and do.

We read to him every night, lots of verbal communication in English and Spanish, we use sight words (I tape them around the house) and my husband and I both are serious music fanatics. So my son is exposed to a lot of musical variety all day long.

My husband is a computer scientist. He's got the math covered.

My parents were very determined in our education. I am very like my dad in personality.

I'll be quite a stern parent, making sure they're polite, but also open and honest. They'll have to do their homework and such before they can play games and so on.

Of course I will. I just pray I have a child who has them.

It obviously depends what their pursuits are. But generally yes.