Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Go with either brand, if there are big price differences for similar clocks, get the cheapest. Usually coil whine can happen in any card. You can avoid it tho most of the times but giving it a little under or overclock (talking about afew hz). That tiny difference which wont break your gaming if it happens to be underclock.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrax View Post
    ASUS cards are great, specially their Strix ones.

From 680 to 970 is not a huge upgrade but the difference shows in 2014-2015 games at high/ultra settings (I upgraded from an OCed 670).

On the subject of the 2500k, it's still a great CPU but it's best to use it overclocked.
    I think the 970 is a pretty sizeable upgrade from the 680.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/G...960_OC/27.html

Looks like about a 50% increase in performance overall. If you look at BF4 it's an increase of 22FPS at 1080p.

I do agree on the 2500K though. Not gonna be much of an upgrade to that. The 4690K is about a 5-10% increase I think. Not really worth the price.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Go with either brand, if there are big price differences for similar clocks, get the cheapest. Usually coil whine can happen in any card. You can avoid it tho most of the times but giving it a little under or overclock (talking about afew hz). That tiny difference which wont break your gaming if it happens to be underclock.
    I have heard reports of some people getting rid of coil whine by stress testing the GPU for an extended amount of time. Sometimes it goes away on it's own after a few months as well. But yeah, it can happen in any card.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I think the 970 is a pretty sizeable upgrade from the 680.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/G...960_OC/27.html

Looks like about a 50% increase in performance overall. If you look at BF4 it's an increase of 22FPS at 1080p.

I do agree on the 2500K though. Not gonna be much of an upgrade to that. The 4690K is about a 5-10% increase I think. Not really worth the price.

- - - Updated - - -

I have heard reports of some people getting rid of coil whine by stress testing the GPU for an extended amount of time. Sometimes it goes away on it's own after a few months as well. But yeah, it can happen in any card.
    Hmmm

Thanks for all the info so far everyone. Trying to make a conscience decision when it comes to upgrading my vid card now and am still a little skeptical. The biggest selling point to me now is future proofing for another couple years and getting the witcher 3 and batman as part of the promotion.

Deleted
    I recently got the MSI GTX 970 and I can honestly say its fantastic, runs cool with zero coil whine and the two free games sold it for me aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean137 View Post
    I recently got the MSI GTX 970 and I can honestly say its fantastic, runs cool with zero coil whine and the two free games sold it for me aswell.
    That's what I am looking at...ultimately I am looking at it like this now...the two free games(witcher 3 and Batman) are a $120 value...The ASUS GTX 970 is $330 at Microcenter right now...so I would be paying $210 for the card ultimately(as I do plan on buying those games anyways) Then if I can sell my 680 for $150-200 I would basically be getting the card for "free". While I know it wasn't really free taking into account the two games I personally don't see a reason not to get the card now...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    the two free games(witcher 3 and Batman) are a $120 value...
    That depends on where you buy the games

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    That depends on where you buy the games
    Fair enough, United States.

Not to bump this thread with another question, but I didn't want to start a new thread...Just reading the reviews on the 980Ti....I am very much debating this card over the 970...Granted I will be 100% honest, I am mostly sticking to 1080p single monitor with some down sampling potentially...I am definitely buying a new GPU, but now which one is the better question.

just curious I was also looking at the 970 but is there much difference between the I5 2500k and using the i7 2600k? sorry to bring up a new cpu in to the mix. it's just what I was using compared to the 2500k.

Based on an answer already here if you're overclocking the 2600 it should be fine...

So it looks like it's only available on their website right now...Not really interested in that...I was hoping to go to a brick and mortar location like microcenter to pick one up tomorrow...Unless I am wrong then that is very unfortunate...Don't want to drop 700 on a card and have to wait for it to arrive....Want to drive home from the store and install it...

- - - Updated - - -

Actually..something got brought up about windows 10 and DX12s new API that will make VRAM additive...Would it make more sense to buy a 970 then another one, probably second hand, after windows 10 launches?

- - - Updated - - -

Went with the 970, I feel the VRAM stacking will start to get used by titles this year(not many) and definitely in titles in 2016...Only played around a little bit with it but it's definitely a great card. Is actually smaller than my 680 too..Thanks all to who contributed. Whats a good place to sell my 680? Definitely want to try and sell it.
    Last edited by RuneDK; 2015-06-01 at 04:58 PM.