Deleted

Need help with youtube,

So im planning to make game commentaries and stuff on youtube, and i see alot about having to email certain companies to get permission to play that game and make videos ect, and some say that i can make a video of any game i want as long as there is a commentary ect, Anyone here that could help me out?, cause im confused

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by niker99 View Post
    So im planning to make game commentaries and stuff on youtube, and i see alot about having to email certain companies to get permission to play that game and make videos ect, and some say that i can make a video of any game i want as long as there is a commentary ect, Anyone here that could help me out?, cause im confused
    To be safe you should only feature games where the company in question has given general permission to youtubers. Wow is one such game.

Other companies you'll have to google.

There's something called "fair usage" which is a complex issue whereby you can use other people's content without their permission, provided it is "transformative" ie you are creating something new out of the material. The status of lets plays with regard to fair usage is debatable. As a practical matter I'd forget about fair usage and just for now and do games where permission is granted.

If you want to just do wow almost anything is ok.

Fair Use can work if your work is a matter of criticism or opinion on what is being displayed. But as advanta said, if it's a Let's Play type series where it's more or less just random talking over top of gameplay that can be difficult to justify.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

If you're confused about something simple as that, do a 360 and walk away.
    Didn't get it? Good..good!
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2015-05-22 at 02:09 AM.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Never do anything without 100 percent certainty.

If you want to cover anything Nintendo just know they will DMCA claim your videos unless you join their 'youtube partner program' which is a giant kick in the balls. And Sega can be asinine about some of their content too.

If you are doing reviews you can typically use footage of the game you shoot yourself as it's your work and a commentary, but some companies still go after those. I'd suggest researching DMCA claims to learn more about who you can and can not review/talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by Spraxle View Post
    And Sega can be asinine about some of their content too.
    You mean like pulling a DMCA on all Shining Force videos? Or throwing that blanket over videos that even mention the game?

OP, if you are concerned you could always request permission from the company itself.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Never do anything without 100 percent certainty.
    Soooo never do anything at all. Got it.

OP if you're not in it for money then you have nothing to fear. If you are in it for money then lol, depending on the company they'll have legal divisions whose job it is just to find and send cease and desist letters to people who make money off their content.

I don't really know stuff in depth but from what I've seen don't make videos about Nintendo stuff, anything else should be okay as long as publicity is good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Fair Use can work if your work is a matter of criticism or opinion on what is being displayed. But as advanta said, if it's a Let's Play type series where it's more or less just random talking over top of gameplay that can be difficult to justify.
    Additionally, copyright strikes happen and then you have to get them removed. Even if you can defend yourself on fair usage grounds your videos will be taken down while the issue is resolved. In most cases a new youtuber would just quit having to deal with that.

So, erring on the side of caution is probably wise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post

OP if you're not in it for money then you have nothing to fear. If you are in it for money then lol, depending on the company they'll have legal divisions whose job it is just to find and send cease and desist letters to people who make money off their content.

I don't really know stuff in depth but from what I've seen don't make videos about Nintendo stuff, anything else should be okay as long as publicity is good.
    Unfortunately copyright strikes are issued to commercial and non-commercial channels.

There really isn't any money in youtube. I get a dollar for around 2000 views from adsense, which is pretty average. So a video with a million hits would pay the bills-for a week or so, just. Virtually everyone who does it professionally has multiple other sources of income-patreon, merchandizing, etc etc. Youtube is only a money-maker in that offers potential access to the type of celebrity that can be leveraged profitably into other things.

I have a general message, do not put disclaimers in your video. Everyone knows you didn't create the game and no theft is intended. You don't need to state the obvious, and it will do nothing to help you if the original creators come after your video. It just makes you look like a fool.

Here's a link to an article about fair use, youtube and copyright.

http://fairusetube.org/guide-to-yout...eo-is-fair-use

But let's face it, if lawyers get involved, youtube isn't going to back you up and you're not going to hire a lawyer to fight it. But the worst that will happen is the video will be removed.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland