Guard Usage as BM

Say I am tanking Gruul, and taking slices in Mythic.

Is it better to use Guard before or after the slice? Why ?

Just curious, does it effect PB, and Expel Harm, and Chi wave better before or after taking it and does resolve impact it that much before or after?

10+ Year Old Account
    That depends on a number of things, such as your current Resolve level, whether or not you can survive without, and what your healers prefer to heal - large health loss at once, or steady health loss over a period of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

you can take the first slice without anything, right after it hits, you can guard and use that guard for the next slice and do the same for the next slice after.

A guard right after the first slice is usually enough to cover both the second and the third one for me (with some minor additional mitigation like trinkets or a priest shield). Then again, I am in a full mastery build…

Ideally you want to use Guard when you have high Resolve. Guarding before the first slice doesn't get much value on the shield, so you generally want to use it for your 2nd and 3rd instead of bothering with the first.

Use some other form of mitigation for the first. I usually use Dampen, Trinkets/Pre-pot if it's the first one in the fight, externals, whatever, then Guard Immediately after the hit. After that, Guard alone is enough for #2 and 3.

If you have to take 4 (or more) in a row at some point, Zen Med or get a Hand of Protection (and time your taunt well).

Guard right after 1st slice and right after 2nd slice. Pop Dampen before 2nd slice - should cover the melee and the magic part of the 2nd slice and the magic part only of the 3rd slice. For the 1st slice I usually add something, whether it be Fortifying, Zen Med or an active trinket. It's not needed but just to be safe and not strain the healers.

Also, I've discovered a while ago that the belt tinker for engineers which shields you for 42k, doesn't put a cd on anything - not the healing pot, not the bonus armor pot. I macroed it with Shieldtronic Shield (an engi craftable gadget) which does put a cd on your health pot. Together they shield for just a little over 110k. I prefer it over a health pot any time and it comes in handy in situations like these where you could use something little if you want to be extra safe but don't want to waste a big cd.

Great thanks for the info everyone !

You can also just let overwhelming blows hit you once to get some resolve to make a big Guard shield for slice #1.

Deleted
    Thread: Guard Usage as BM
    Bind it to spacebar and karate chop it with both hands for anything that looks like a mechanic.

People will tell you a bunch of other shit about brewmaster and other spells, it's all irrelevant. Follow my advice and you'll be skill capped and picked up by a top 100 guild in weeks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinandwin View Post
    Bind it to spacebar and karate chop it with both hands for anything that looks like a mechanic.

People will tell you a bunch of other shit about brewmaster and other spells, it's all irrelevant. Follow my advice and you'll be skill capped and picked up by a top 100 guild in weeks.
    Good good, let the hate flow through you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    For everything else, there's Brewmastercard

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by keqe View Post
    Good good, let the hate flow through you.

What hate? I'm sharing brewmaster techniques

Assuming you take 3 slices, and are taunt swapping:

Before Slice 1: Nothing. Eat it,
    After: Expel, Purify.

Before Slice 2: Dampen Harm.

Before Slice 3: Dampen Harm is still up. Fort Brew just prior to it landing.
    After: Expel, Purify, Guard, Elusive Brew. Run into position (rolling seems to always make him move, and you should have Transcendence set outside the room.

This way, you will have your second charge of Guard still available. If Fort Brew isn't available for slice 3, then you will want to use a charge of it for that (right after slice 2 hits), and maybe get an Ironbark or Sac.

Always Guard when resolve is high unless you will die immediately otherwise, which should be never.

I am a chi explosion player and I never use guard ;p but for me to survive and play chi explosion without purifying and using the least guards I can I just get a sac on first slice, dampen hard 2nd and 3rd slice, take a lot of damage but I survive, If I was really going for tank ratings I would get a sac first slice, guard after slice with the 230% resolve, use dampen harm, repeat on 3rd slice. use your elusive brews when tanking the boss. Next slices dampen harm won't be up until barely 3rd slice if you time it right. Sac on first slice again, guard for 2nd one (it'll eat the whole thing with mastery build and high resolve) 3rd slice just zen med it or guard and fort brew. But for me I never use my fort brew because I save it for touch of death ;p

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    Assuming you take 3 slices, and are taunt swapping:

Before Slice 1: Nothing. Eat it,

Before Slice 2: Dampen Harm.

Before Slice 3: Dampen Harm is still up. Fort Brew just prior to it landing.
    After: Expel, Purify, Guard, Elusive Brew. Run into position (rolling seems to always make him move, and you should have Transcendence set outside the room.

This way, you will have your second charge of Guard still available. If Fort Brew isn't available for slice 3, then you will want to use a charge of it for that (right after slice 2 hits), and maybe get an Ironbark or Sac.

Always Guard when resolve is high unless you will die immediately otherwise, which should be never.
    OK. You are telling him to use two big cooldowns to save one charge of guard? Great idea...

What I am doing:
    DH 10-15 sec before pull, after slice PB+Guard (around 1 million), take next two slices with this guard (watch value)

2. round
    DH as soon as it is off CD, after slice PB+Guard, take second slice, PB+Guard

3. round
    DH if ready else FB during casttime of slice (will also cover second slice), PB, after second PB+Guard

loot boss

Zen Med works well for soaking a slice.

I've been working on this boss and don't have it perfectly, but I've found this works well:
    1- pre pot still active; pop guard after
    2- guard soaks most of it
    3- zen med

1- DH, guard after
    2- last DH charge, guard after
    3- FB

repeat

There's not a huge need to guard while tanking/overwhelming blows, but as long as you have two charges when youre done you can often use 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylemma View Post
    I am a chi explosion player and I never use guard ;p but for me to survive and play chi explosion without purifying and using the least guards I can I just get a sac on first slice, dampen hard 2nd and 3rd slice, take a lot of damage but I survive, If I was really going for tank ratings I would get a sac first slice, guard after slice with the 230% resolve, use dampen harm, repeat on 3rd slice. use your elusive brews when tanking the boss. Next slices dampen harm won't be up until barely 3rd slice if you time it right. Sac on first slice again, guard for 2nd one (it'll eat the whole thing with mastery build and high resolve) 3rd slice just zen med it or guard and fort brew. But for me I never use my fort brew because I save it for touch of death ;p
    ....I would hate to be one of your healers.

We down this with two tanks (monk/war) and 3 stack groups. We each soak 3, keeping the boss after the third. The only exception is that I solo soak a 4th (7th slice) each time.
    As far as CDs go, the easiest way I've found is:
    Slice 1-3: War tank
    Slice 4: DH, guard after with high resolve
    Slice 5: your previous guard, guarding again after hit
    Slice 6: previous guard, fort brew if needed
    Slice 7: Zen med
    Slice 8: Warrior

Start over again after transition. You will need externals for the solo soak second time around as Zen med won't be up.

Third time repeat with Zen med for solo. Cake walk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylemma View Post
    I am a chi explosion player and I never use guard
    Why not just roll a dps class, seriously.

Ya, not using Guard because 20k dmg is just plain stupid as tank...

As someone said, DH before pull, with prepot and trinket you don't need anything else for 1st slice, will get a > 1mio guard with that which will be enough for both the 2nd and 3rd slice alone (especially since still 1 stack DH)
    After that you most likely need a Guard for the 2nd and 3rd slice each, just use anything you like for the first. If you use FB, use it right before the slice so it will cover 2 slices (12sec in between them, FB duration is 15sec)
    Save ZenMed for bad situations (4th slice or solo)... If you have to take a 5th as well after, call for HoP and time your taunt well.

That fight is a joke for monk