10+ Year Old Account

How's Ret Doing?

So I just got my Paladin to lvl 100 and have been PvPing a little here and there. I'm just wondering how the spec is doing currently for PvP in terms of viability.

Average to below average as usual, you need to play with a hunter to have any chance in 2s and hunter/healer 3s. We don't bring anything unique for RBG's and generally aren't desired there either.

I'm doing fine, how are you today?

Traditionally good in BG's, ok in arenas (you need good partners that can support you - you will be trained a lot). RBG can be ok if you focus on AoE-Damage and find a raidleader, which will give you a chance .

Frankly, okay, some kind of Jack of all trades for me. But I don't and don't pretend to play at " high level ". Arena ? Can do okay ... BGs ? Very fine (often top DD and Killing blows) ... World PVP ? Very good.
    If I want to be more desired and want to " do some group PVP ingame ", I can switch holy (RBG).
    In comparison, when I play my warrior, it's amazing in group with a healer (very bloody), but once alone or in a classical BG lacking healers ... AHEM ... that's another story ...

Deleted
    they finally have a slow now from judgement

Ret is fine .. nice burst nice support / nice ae ( in this tier )

log off and never play that paladin as ret ever again

PvE>

RET is a little shitty in that we are soooo RNG/gear dependent, you will do better dps once you get your tier set bonuses but then again, once everyone else get theirs you'll fall behind again.

PvP>

RET is screwed for anything rated. Blizz has set RET into this "support" niche which is non-exclusive, outdated, and largely irrelevant. we dont do the same damage/pressure as a warrior, doesnt have sustained damage/purge like a dk, easy kill when bubble is down, doesnt bring any good utility that a hpally cant bring. only have 1 viable comp in 3s and its still gonna be sub-par to the god comp you regularly run into nowadays.

RET is in the same boat as WW monks and maybe enhance/ele shammies

Deleted
    Just don't listen to everyone that post here. In fact, u shouldn't even ask that, cause u will only get confused by so many different inputs. Check it out and see for your self. Maybe it works for u, maybe it doesn't. I play lot's of classes, and if nothing else, ret pally is really fun class to play. It is soo enjoyable.

Now, as u can see in post right above mine, ret is soo underestimated. And reason for that is the fact there are VERY FEW good paladins out there. Most are just average players that blindly follow CLCRet. Pally is class in which is fairly easy to learn basic mechanics, but it will not put u on top of the charts in just a few weeks of playing it. It takes way longer to truly master it and be on top of the charts. That's why ppl rather roll warriors, DKs or "almost one button spam" class - Huntard.

To conclude, I got over 2.5k arena rating with ret on any server I ever played with ease. No, IT IS NOT the strongest class, but is's far from shitty. It's still a good solid class. I gues, u can say pally is as good as you're.

Observe Vladimir, when balanced like this , you = more skilled for having many cooldowns

Quote Originally Posted by staratorca View Post
    Just don't listen to everyone that post here. In fact, u shouldn't even ask that, cause u will only get confused by so many different inputs. Check it out and see for your self. Maybe it works for u, maybe it doesn't. I play lot's of classes, and if nothing else, ret pally is really fun class to play. It is soo enjoyable.

Now, as u can see in post right above mine, ret is soo underestimated. And reason for that is the fact there are VERY FEW good paladins out there. Most are just average players that blindly follow CLCRet. Pally is class in which is fairly easy to learn basic mechanics, but it will not put u on top of the charts in just a few weeks of playing it. It takes way longer to truly master it and be on top of the charts. That's why ppl rather roll warriors, DKs or "almost one button spam" class - Huntard.

To conclude, I got over 2.5k arena rating with ret on any server I ever played with ease. No, IT IS NOT the strongest class, but is's far from shitty. It's still a good solid class. I gues, u can say pally is as good as you're.
    ive played ret for 6yrs>

you will feel like you work twice as hard to get the same results as other plate wearing melee dps, the result of being classified as a "support" class in a meta game where, like i said previously, is non exclusive, outdated, and really pointless. you wont get into any RBGs unless ur paying off the RBG leader, you only have 1 good 3s comp, PHP, that is still subpar to RMP and godcomp...yes playing ret is fun thats why ive been doing it for as long as i have, but you will become outmatched in pvp...just a warning.

PvE-wise you will being middle of the pack against equally skilled/geared players. i want to call BS on @Staratorca arena rating claim but i may be wrong, simply because of "Ret underestimation", he may have good (rank1) teammates but thats what it will take. not many ppl have access to that.
    Last edited by Omaski; 2015-06-08 at 09:19 PM.

It really depends on what you want to accomplish with Ret as to whether they are viable or not right now.
    I have 3 guildies who have gotten over 2k this season on ret in 3s and RBGs.
    But, I am not one of them, I only do arenas casually and am usually around the 1600 mark.
    So take my word for what it's worth.
    I'm really quite convinced that Ret is a high skill cap class in arena and BG. Some people can do amazing things on a ret while most of us mere mortals will never accomplish much.
    If you're looking to do BGs and cap conquest on 2s, you'll do just fine. Just make sure you know what a hand of salvation is how to pillar hump and flash of light.
    If you're looking to do rate BGs and push 3s rating, unless you're sold on this class you will find easier ways to accomplish this somewhere else.

Deleted
    A one post acount claiming to get 2.5k in arean with "ease"? as Ret? on ANY server? I mean how dose it even matter what server you are on anymore?

Deleted
    To Ellmist

Well your post is quite different now. At previous one u said rets are shitty, and I completely disagree. If u read carefully, u'll see I said pretty much the same. Other classes will put u on top way faster, but rets are not shitty. And of course I had good teammates in arena, I could never do it alone. Hack, if they were shitty I wouldn't get over 1.8, it's simple as that. I never said I did it alone, or that I'm the king of arena, but I play for long time and 'm very experienced. I have very experienced friends too, and we always play together. I also play quite a few classes as well, so I feel i can objectively compare them. And to say paladin is shitty, or not valuable whit it's 2 HoP, 2 HoF and 2 HoS with its heals cleanse and even burst abilities is simple not true. Nor it's true u can be only average or middle PVE wise... U can be much better if u are really good.

I still stick with my statement that retribution paladin is good and solid class.

To Ellmist

Well your post is quite different now. At previous one u said rets are shitty, and I completely disagree. If u read carefully, u'll see I said pretty much the same. Other classes will put u on top way faster, but rets are not shitty. And of course I had good teammates in arena, I could never do it alone. Hack, if they were shitty I wouldn't get over 1.8, it's simple as that. I never said I did it alone, or that I'm the king of arena, but I play for long time and 'm very experienced. I have very experienced friends too, and we always play together. I also play quite a few classes as well, so I feel i can objectively compare them. And to say paladin is shitty, or not valuable whit it's 2 HoP, 2 HoF and 2 HoS with its heals cleanse and even burst abilities is simple not true. Nor it's true u can be only average or middle PVE wise... U can be much better if u are really good.

I still stick with my statement that retribution paladin is good and solid class.
    My post didn't really change, just went from pessimistic to optimistic a lil but the facts havnt changed...but as a fresh lvl 100 the OP will prolly not have access to geared/skilled teammates esp. being so late in the season.

yes we have alot of "utlity" but most of our "utility" is nullified because we are the kill target 99.9% of the time in arena. and nobody ever ask for ret in RBGs bcuz we don't have any pressure outside wings and don't have a purge. You never hear any RBG leader asking for more utility in chat or in LFG RBGs. rets are brought for dps just like any other melee dps class but all other melee classes can do what we do just better and with less effort.

warriors put out tons of pressure with a lot of offensive utility, dks are usually TC and have spammable purge and grip...what can a ret do that a hpally cant do, plus healing? nothing!!!! almost all ret utility can be dispelled so there's no point to bring one.

I think ret's as good as the hunter you play with, there are so many comps that even if you play amazingly will get no where. It's ret/hunter and ret/hunter/healer or don't bother pretty much.

Would love to hear otherwise...
    Last edited by RagnorZ; 2015-06-10 at 04:21 AM.

Deleted
    Ret is one of the best spec for random BGs and duels. Other kind of PvP is not that great but still not bad

I noticed 6.2 has Reti PvE DPS at third best? So sustained is up for ret?

If you had checke the PTR builds, then you would know, that Ret has got a nerf to it's mastery .

ST damage for Rets is looking good (don't take Sims too serious!), because of T18 setbonuses and Trinkets.
    That's how blizzard s going to balance PvE.

PvP won't really be balanced.
    But it could be, that blizzard is going to throw some hotfixes out, after the release of 6.2 (class-balance).