Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    As someone who still suffers from it, I can understand and empathize completely. However, the only reason I got better is because eventually, I WANTED to get better and decided to try various meds and psychs to try and help. As of now, I will be on meds for the rest of my life to keep it in control, and I accept that.

However, listening to someone complain but never want to try to fix gets extremely tiring and emotionally draining after a while, so at that point I think people should rightly be allowed to tune them out. except psychologists. God knows mine is the most patient person ever when it comes to forcing my sociablity out and fixing my hygene....

- - - Updated - - -

hehe potato tree <3

but its so lovable! but pls, dont follow the likes of Robin Williams
    Yeah, that is fine, but see this idea that depression is about whether others empathize with you is part of the problem and why people misunderstand depression, the guy already stated now he doesn't want a fucking pity party, plenty of people suffering from depression don't want a pity party, I am sure some do, but that really has nothing to do with clinical depression.

It is a condition of the brain, period, whether people show empathy or not, lacking empathy in my book is an individual and personal problem, typically projected onto others. Honestly there are no silver bullets or one size fits all approaches so to speak, but there is real science and real treatment one can get whether they are capable of getting it or not.

This Gung Ho it idea, I personally believe is bullshit, because while it is a way of coping, it can be just as ineffective as a pity party, and is besides the point if one has clinical depression.

The Best I have seen is what I have said, self realization, not limiting yourself,but also, being open to the possibility, that in some cases, some issues are just you, and the disease of depression. Most of the time the knowledge and effective ways of coping along with exercise seem to be the best. And over time as your brain begins to incorporate those habits, even when say shit hits the fan,, you are better able to help yourself.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    As someone who still suffers from it, I can understand and empathize completely. However, the only reason I got better is because eventually, I WANTED to get better and decided to try various meds and psychs to try and help. As of now, I will be on meds for the rest of my life to keep it in control, and I accept that.

However, listening to someone complain but never want to try to fix gets extremely tiring and emotionally draining after a while, so at that point I think people should rightly be allowed to tune them out. except psychologists. God knows mine is the most patient person ever when it comes to forcing my sociablity out and fixing my hygene....

my heart goes out to Beery Swine regardless.

- - - Updated - - -

hehe potato tree <3

but its so lovable! but pls, dont follow the likes of Robin Williams
    I wouldn't take it that far.

But shit has had bumps. I'm quite happy about the progress that I have made in my adult life.

I actually can't wait to graduate this winter. Everyone else I know is scared.

ITT morons who know shit about mental disorders.

Depression, anxiety, hypochondria, and panic disorder. All at the same time. Luckily I respond well to SSRIs. Therapy does nothing for me. I haven't really been suicidal, just feeling like I am on the brink of either dying or going crazy.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2015-05-23 at 06:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    I often think of suicide and never seem to fully remove myself of the idea. I do feel it is a very selfish and cowards option way out though. When I think of how many people have it worse than me I feel silly no matter how grand my problems feel.
    Forget the words like coward, or selfish etc, I think it's more prudent to ask why one thinks killing themselves would solve their problem or anybody else's. I mean sure friends family loved ones that hurt because you killed yourself, can be motivation not to, but if you don't actually see the sense and value to your own life, chances those reasons wont last forever.

You have to start with having a value of your own life.

I suffer from chronic depression that varies in intensity. I have other issues along side it but that's another topic altogether.

Why am I depressed? I don't honestly know exactly why. It's probably something genetic since my father suffered similarly. The only "real" answer I could give, if someone absolutely wanted an answer that wasn't vague or chalks it up to brain chemistry, would be that I live in a world that is not conducive to the type of person I am. I have wishes that will never be fulfilled because either they are impossible in this world I live in, or are so unlikely that they might as well be impossible. I see a world full of people who often care very little about anyone beyond their own little circle, or the great things we could accomplish if we were more united as a people. I see a lack of innovation, empathy, compassion and hope among my peers. I see a world driven by greed and profit at the expense of others. I see myself living out what I once said was my worst fear and I feel helpless to do anything about it.

Those reasons are probably not "why" I'm depressed but they sure don't help. The only thing I'll say about suicide is that while I don't want to die... I do want to stop suffering. Oft times suicide seems the only way to make the suffering stop for many people. I have reasons to keep going though so I do, but its not always easy. I'm afraid some day the suffering will get bad enough to push me to it though.
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2015-05-23 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    ITT morons who know shit about mental disorders.

Depression, anxiety, hypochondria, and panic disorder. All at the same time. Luckily I respond well to SSRIs. Therapy does nothing for me. I haven't really been suicidal, just feeling like I am on the brink of either dying or going crazy.
    easy on the hostility. Its not that uncommon people suffering from depression on a video gaming forum.

10+ Year Old Account
    easy on the hostility. Its not that uncommon people suffering from depression on a video gaming forum.
    Yeah and not everybody who is suffers from depression is a Introvert either :P

Hell it effects a hell of a lot of Cops, Judges, Business People, Politicians, Celebrities, and Soldiers, and I am not just talking about having a bad singular bad day or stint.

Just like not all Narcissist are Sports Jocks and extroverts.

what hostility? People who think you can just "get over" a disorder ARE morons.

As someone who fights depression everyday since no medicine works for me, and have attempted to run myself through twice, and while I can see both sides of the view having a friend succeed. I do not understand people being rude, shit-heads about people with depression, or treat it like it's nothing, or expect people to, "just get over it."

If it was that easy they fucking would, trust me, it's not fun, and it's not something you want. I want to be happy, but for some reason I am perpetually losing faith in humanity, my generation, and as whole this big spinning blue ball of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinopotamus View Post
    As someone who fights depression everyday since no medicine works for me, and have attempted to run myself through twice, and while I can see both sides of the view having a friend succeed. I do not understand people being rude, shit-heads about people with depression, or treat it like it's nothing, or expect people to, "just get over it."

If it was that easy they fucking would, trust me, it's not fun, and it's not something you want. I want to be happy, but for some reason I am perpetually losing faith in humanity, my generation, and as whole this big spinning blue ball of shit.
    I think people that do that, compare depression to having a bad day. Like just go for a run and have a good sleep. Not I dont actually see a point in the toil of life. As good as life can be most of the time its really not. And you keep building towards a fantasy that will always slip your fingers

10+ Year Old Account
    According to pop culture

"Depression is like just something you need to SNAP OUT OF!"

"People with Autism are great at counting cards"

"People with OCD, make great detectives, so do people with schizophrenia"

"Psychopath have Super Powers, and come back from the dead"

and

"Sociopaths are the best at business"

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    According to pop culture

"Depression is like just something you need to SNAP OUT OF!"

"People with Autism are great at counting cards"

"People with OCD, make great detectives, so do people with schizophrenia"

"Psychopath have Super Powers, and come back from the dead"

and

"Sociopaths are the best at business"

1st line pisses me off to no end.

3rd and 4th line... No, not true... Well, maybe? I don't know...

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it is best that you seek professional counseling. The majority of posts in this thread saying that depression is just "being weak" and that you have to "man up" show that this topic clearly cannot be discussed in a rational, empathic, and understanding nature.

Closing.