10+ Year Old Account

"You’re f--ked," -Robert De Niro , he warned the grads. -Robert De Niro

http://time.com/3895070/robert-de-ni...on-speech-nyu/

New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts rarely lacks for great graduation speeches. Just last year, director and alumnus Martin Scorsese celebrated the 2014 Tisch class. This year, it was Scorsese’s frequent muse, Robert De Niro, who spoke to the 2015 class.

De Niro, after making his way through the formalities of such a speech, began with a simple statement: “Tisch graduates, you made it,” De Niro began. “And, you’re f–ked.”

De Niro then listed how the graduates from the many other schools that make up NYU will be secure in their post-collegiate job hunt (“The English majors are not a factor”). But for Tisch’s graduates, which include aspiring actors, writers, directors, and more, will have to enter a brave new world with – if not certainty – an ambition and passion they could not deny.

“You discovered a talent, developed an ambition, and recognized your passion,” he said. “When you feel that you can’t fight it, you just go for it. When it comes to the arts, passion should always trump common sense.”

“Yeah you’re f–ked,” De Niro added. “The good news is, that’s not a bad place to start.”

De Niro continued with an inspiring and hilarious speech from the ceremony—revealing he didn’t quite land the role of Martin Luther King, Jr. in Selma, as well as telling stories from his career that actually happened. The ceremony, which was held at Madison Square Garden

Deleted
    So... what's the news? That aspiring actors and those with creative jobs have a hard time finding a job? We knew that. It's been the case for quite some time, you need a lot of work to become someone in such a job.

That Robert De Niro said they're "fucked"? This is not a piece of news, everyone says that word from time to time. It's just a word.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lewis Black sorta beat DeNiro too it...

And I am sure others did too..

- - - Updated - - -

It's absolutely normal to point out to grads that they're fucked... because that's what they are.
    And always have been.
    The best years of their lives, in regards of ease, lack of complications and responsibilities are coming to an end.
    From there on out, the hard truth of reality of life is gonna hit them more or less brutal in the face, ass or both.

So giving a little heads up, a little warning how things are rougher now, ain't a bad thing at all. And never was.

Found his speech, it's really cool
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2015-05-23 at 02:34 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Listened to the whole speech, thanks for the video Wildtree.

Dunno why this is news. He made a light joke, and then proceeded to give a well thought out speech based on real experiences based on said joke. Was a nice speech really, not really worthy of a thread.

...I go to NYU. But I didn't graduate this year sooo I didn't go.

Fuck man I could have been there.

I don't think schools for the arts really help anyone get a job. The way I see it, you should have talent first. That get's you success. Then the school simply refines that talent. So if you were me, with no acting chops at all, and went to this school thinking you would be the next Brad Pit. You'd probably end up selling watches on the side of the road.

BTW anyone care for a watch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No she shouldn't be removed she is an elected official and hasn't broken any laws just hurt some people's feelings.

Well, he's not wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rhine101 View Post
    The way I see it, you should have talent first. That get's you success.
    Not all talented folks find success in entertainment industries.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Well, he's not wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Not all talented folks find success in entertainment industries.
    True. But it would just be that much harder without it. Competition and all that
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No she shouldn't be removed she is an elected official and hasn't broken any laws just hurt some people's feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    ...I go to NYU. But I didn't graduate this year sooo I didn't go.

Fuck man I could have been there.
    Yea I had Arjen Robben as a guest speaker at my Uni. But alas, I missed him because I didn't graduate at that time, too. Apparently he talked about a few really good points about managing your career etc.