Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Terrorism you say?
    Destruction of public infrastructure leading to an irreversible loss of public resources on a massive scale. I think we can find some terrorism related charges to fit that.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are not terrorists nor vandals, they are just young idealists...

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Destruction of public infrastructure leading to an irreversible loss of public resources on a massive scale. I think we can find some terrorism related charges to fit that.
    I'm sorry, you meant to say "the use of violence or threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes."

It's looks like that's not what you said though. Not everyone who does something dickish is a damn terrorist. Stop using buzzwords.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, you meant to say "the use of violence or threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes."

It's looks like that's not what you said though. Not everyone who does something dickish is a damn terrorist. Stop using buzzwords.
    Buzzword lol. They took out the water supply for 3 cities for a year by destroying public infrastructure... if that action was done at all for a political reason, its terrorism.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    aside from this being bad and all , when i hear inflatable dam all i can think of is a sort of bouncy castle... cant be alone on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Stalin View Post
    Kind of an overreaction.
    Back then, when this world was not full of pussies, instead of men, those fuckers would have been cut into pieces and the next dam would have been decorated with those pieces, as a reminder to the other wannabe "vandals".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    I was thinking the terrorism angle too. Destroying a public dam as vandalism? Graffiti is vandalism...
    The word "vandalism" comes from the Vandals that sacked Rome and destroyed much of the city, including water infrastructure, so it sorta makes sense.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what the dam used to look like btw

It should be easily replaceable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

ill say one thing is for sure...

i cringe a the thought of popping a tire with a knife.

no way in hell i would stab at that and not expect whatever i used to be imbedded in my face .000001 seconds later.

Buzzword lol. They took out the water supply for 3 cities for a year by destroying public infrastructure... if that action was done at all for a political reason, its terrorism.
    Which they were easily able to replace with no long term consequences. No one was hurt. It doesn't look like they tried to hurt anyone...or in anyway terrorize any one. They fucked some shit up, which cost some money. That's it. it was a shitty thing to do, and will probably cost a shit ton of money in repairs and lost material, but that's it. Now if we are talking about explosives placed and they bottom of the hoover damn, then sure, I'll give you the terrorism angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    The one who done that should face a quite long prison sentence imo.
    Yeah just what America needs, more non-violent people in jail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which they were easily able to replace with no long term consequences. No one was hurt. It doesn't look like they tried to hurt anyone...or in anyway terrorize any one. They fucked some shit up, which cost some money. That's it. it was a shitty thing to do, and will probably cost a shit ton of money in repairs and lost material, but that's it. Now if we are talking about explosives placed and they bottom of the hoover damn, then sure, I'll give you the terrorism angle.
    You can't just replace 49 million gallons of water in a state in the worst drought in its history. When things are so bad you have NASA scientists claiming the water will run out in a year. That water for those three cities will now be diverted from other areas. People will be hurt by this.

They didn't knock over a water tower, or spray paint a building here. This is a massive loss of a vital resource, one which will not be easy to replace.

Let the water wars commence!

Pretty much the last thing California needs right now is to destroy their remaining water supply.

You can't just replace 49 million gallons of water in a state in the worst drought in its history. When things are so bad you have NASA scientists claiming the water will run out in a year. That water for those three cities will now be diverted from other areas. People will be hurt by this.

They didn't knock over a water tower, or spray paint a building here. This is a massive loss of a vital resource, one which will not be easy to replace.
    They literally said in the article that they saw no long term effects. Articles words...not mine.

Also, I am not really arguing against the idea that this a pretty horrible thing to do. Just don't like the idea of every god damned thing being labeled as terrorism.

Deleted
    inflatable dam in place for 30 years.
    Regardless of the act of vandalism, they should have replaced it with a proper construction instead of being cheap bastards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    inflatable dam in place for 30 years.
    Regardless of the act of vandalism, they should have replaced it with a proper construction instead of being cheap bastards.
    I imagine inflatables have advantages in controlling the overflow. You can easily drop or raise the level of the dam surface with an air compressor. Hell, it's built on top of a concrete surface under it, so it's not like they aren't willing to build concrete structures. I think this just makes more sense in the scenario where it was employed, and isn't about being cheap.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    It's Fremont. Most likely it was just some assholes.

"Eco-terrorists" usually like to make a scene, such as torching a hummer facility.
    Bored assholes ..,"Hey look an inflatable dam...huhuh...dam,lets break it." Eco terrorist types generally like bigger more flashy targets ...like the one that put the bombs out in Dublin area a ..many..years ago.

Only real part that sucks is that CA is in the middle of a major drought/conservation thing at the moment and that as fresh water that could be used other places...now it is in the SF Bay and ...well , salt water now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have the actually established it was vandalism and not the old thing bursting a leak?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    This is what the dam used to look like btw
    [IMG]http://mrbill.homeip.net/albums/mt_hamilton.2011.04.16/mediafiles/l64.jpg[/IMG
    It should be easily replaceable.
    That looks cooler than I thought it would.