Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    I would consider them fighting for our lives almost if not just as important as fighting for our freedom. (ie: killing the terrorists before they kill us)

Furthermore, I am definitely going to respect police officers, firefighters and those who serve in the military by default, because they have jobs that put their lives at risk to save the lives of others.

I don't understand it. It seems like people are so ready to claim that we shouldn't honor the police, the military, etc. because some of them are bad. Meanwhile nothing is ever brought up about any other occupation ever, and furthermore such things are said with a completely ridiculous idea of what makes a person 'bad' in the first place.

Sure, some if not most of those won't see real combat, but if the day comes where our country does need an army, I am going to be very thankful that they were the ones who chose to be in the position ready to be deployed rather than me.

I am of the opinion that respect is something you can't give enough of, and that failing to give someone respect is your own shortcoming, not simply something you do until that person meets your arbitrary threshold for earning your respect.
    Yeah, that is one of the whole laundry list of differences between me and you, see I start off with giving everybody respect, rather than holding it over people like it's something they gotta EARN from me

As for who you respect just because of a title and whatever association, Ill leave that up to you, because that kind of blind ignorance isn't respect, it's obedience. And I don't recognize authority because anybody else says I gotta. I do it by choice, you know Choice, that thing people actually did fight and die for, kind of makes more sense to honor what people actually died for rather than playing it off as such.

As for the combat, I am not going to get into logistics and how modern day warfare has changed over the centuries. But I don't consider someone bad or good because they are a soldier, I am just not going do this phony ass worship people do who talk a good game about how grateful they are, but wouldn't bat an eye about sending those same guys into harm way for nothing.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    I always hate when people find out I'm in the military, but it's come up quite a bit lately. In nursing school and when I explain that I have experience doing xyz they always ask where I learned to do it. When they find out I was a medic they always thank me. I hate it.

I didn't serve to protect shit. I didn't serve because honorable or the right thing to do. I served because I was at a shitty place in life and had nowhere else to go.
    Don't thank me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

As a former Veteran i dont get some Veterans who look for thanks. When i was in the military i did not like ppl always coming up to me and thanking me as i did not preserve your freedom. I was in Afghanistan and Iraq but our freedom was never in jeopardy those wars were made for personal gain and selfish reasons. The real veterans who should be thanked are the ones that fought in the world wars when freedom was truly in jeopardy. I feel bad for military ppl today who get sent to these bullshit wars and die or see friends die and come back with pstd or crippled all because our govt is run by a bunch of retards.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    The point of memorial day is to thank those who died in the line of service. Living veterans have their day.
    Agreed, memorial day is a solemn day, veterans day.....I cut lose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    As a veteran, this annoys me to no end as well. I always chastise people when they thank me for my service; this isn't a day to recognize me, as I'm still alive. It's a day to recognize those who fell. I never understood why people get that confused.
    Eh, it's because they are phony asses, probably only showing you or anybody else respect out of obligation, rather than genuine or sincere appreciation. Honestly I wouldn't send them to the cemetery either with that, I would probably just tell them to enjoy a hot dog or something. I hate that mindless nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    I always hate when people find out I'm in the military, but it's come up quite a bit lately. In nursing school and when I explain that I have experience doing xyz they always ask where I learned to do it. When they find out I was a medic they always thank me. I hate it.

I didn't serve to protect shit. I didn't serve because honorable or the right thing to do. I served because I was at a shitty place in life and had nowhere else to go.
    Don't thank me.
    I still remember the procedures to rendering first aid to someone with a gunshot wound

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post

Don't thank me.

Well aren't you touchy, how come you are grateful that I am not grateful, HUH! Bet if you had a Taylor Swift Avatar you would have been grateful.

j.k

As someone who doesn't care about all of these retarded holidays to appease absolutely every group in the country...I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Thanking veterans for their service is pretty cringe worthy
    So I'm not the only one, huh? I always hate mentioning my time in the Army off-hand and getting that sing-song response. I mean it's not like I dislike the sentiment but I hate the fact now it seems to be a social requirement to reply that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Torais View Post
    So I'm not the only one, huh? I always hate mentioning my time in the Army off-hand and getting that sing-song response. I mean it's not like I dislike the sentiment but I hate the fact now it seems to be a social requirement to reply that way.
    Unless it results in getting some tail...in that case.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Unless it results in getting some tail...in that case.....
    Yeah, comments like that dude, yeah really all about honor to the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yeah, comments like that dude, yeah really all about honor to the country.
    Not sure what one has to do with the other but....to then I remembered, this is mallsecurity in talking to, and then it made sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Not sure what one has to do with the other but....to then I remembered, this is mallsecurity in talking to, and then it made sense.
    Ok I'll connect the dots, we are talking about veterans, people who served the military with honor and distinction, and how that means something. You just got done making a joke about blind military worship getting you "some tail" yeah, way to go man.

For most it is nothing more then a paid day off of work a BBQ and the mental start of summer. Like many holidays people don't know why they are there are what they celebrate or honor.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Ok I'll connect the dots, we are talking about veterans, people who served the military with honor and distinction, and how that means something. You just got done making a joke about blind military worship getting you "some tail" yeah, way to go man.
    Yeah, he must have forgotten about the abstinence contract that he singed when he enlisted.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Yeah, he must have forgotten about the abstinence contract that he singed when he enlisted.
    I Guess.

Malls just mad cause he's not me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    when ever i am in uniform and get the whole thank you for your service from whoever, i just say you are welcome, they kinda gets confused :P
    Lol for the longest time, I never knew the proper response to people who walked up to me and said, "Thank you for your service". I used to say you're welcome also lol. It's the proper response to a thanks right?!

I eventually figured out replying, "Thank you for your support" is the 'correct' response.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    +1

The entitlement with some serviceman these days is also laughable. Some goes as far as telling people who burn flags in protest (a protected right) to leave the country if they hate it so much and how their brothers and sisters have died for said persons freedom.

Eh no. A) If you aren't free to burn the nations flag in protest then you aren't really free. And B) No one alive today has fought in any war that was "for our freedom" - those brave men died centuries ago. What you've fought for is oil and the idea that every nation needs and wants to be like us.

Servicemen/women don't go around looking for entitlement. I think this is some grand illusion you concocted in your own mind. People do have the right to burn flags, just as people have the right to be offended by that action, and try to stop it. ( Isn't freedom wonderful? ).

A)I don't think you understand the concept of protecting our freedom. B) We went to war to steal oil, yet we didn't steal oil from Kuwait or Iraq, so you're just making shit up. And we have never gone to war to " be liked ", again, making shit up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Servicemen/women don't go around looking for entitlement.
    to be fair, i know of plenty of people who both obfuscate their service to avoid these situations, and those who put 900 flag and eagle decals on their lifted trucks while shouting out the window about how awesome they are for putting in their 4 years...

i also know people who ask for "military discounts" everywhere, (usually 10% if there is one) even if they are not posted, which is extremely awkward...

i mean, ill whip out my ID at the fast food places around here, because it is near a fairly large military base, and they have signs up saying they do...
    but going to a fancy restaurant and straight up asking for it... kinda rankles me when i see it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Memorial Day is a day for honoring the fallen, not the living. Sadly, it is mostly for having sales and marking the beginning of summer these days.