Page 1 of 3
LastLast

4th spec/GladiatorStance Talent ideas for classes

Now..I know this subject is a bit sour for many, and one I'm sure people have had ideas for and thrown about the forums all around the world so much and so often that a good bit of us are just sick and tired of seeing "random nameless nobody's thoughts on how they could expand things #2342745345934535", but despite this I still am gonna throw my hat into the ring here and post up a few ideas I've been musing over since the introduction of the warrior talent "Gladiator Stance" to Protection's talent choices. Keep in mind these are all added under the assumption of being something part of the current level-100 capped game setup which we play in with WoD.

Anyway, without further adieu..lets get into some of the things I've come up with here, and see how that goes over before I go typing more. Lets start with the first class and one I've put the most effort into thus far, paladin.

I hope you all enjoy.

PALADIN
    Holy Caster DPS

Level 100 Talent
    [Beacon of Faith / Inquiry of Faith]
    Allows you to forgo your recuperative role, and instead focus on offensive capabilities, by replacing Righteous Fury with Inquisitor's Wrath.
    |
    Inquisitor's Wrath - Increases spell damage dealt by "insert tuned number here"% while active. Spirit now yields spellpower. Replaces your Beacon of Light with Inquisition, Holy Light with Exorcism, and alters spells; Holy Radiance, Light of Dawn.

You cannot cancel this effect while in combat.

---

Inquisition - Instant, 3 Holy Power. Deals (400% of spellpower) Holy damage to the target and increasing their holy damage taken by 50% for 8 seconds.

Holy Radiance - Instant. Burns the target with radiant energy, causing (151% of spellpower) to that target and all enemies within 10 yards for half that amount over 12 seconds. Grants 1 Holy Power. Limit 3 Targets.

Light of Dawn - 1.5 cast. 3 Holy Power. Unleash a wave of holy light upon the target, damaging that target and all enemies within 30 yards afflicted with your Holy Radiance for (300% of spellpower)

\

Death Knight

Frost Tank - No self healing - Highly increased armor. Frost strike applies "Glacial Plating" shielding the player for a portion of the damage frost strike dealt.

Unholy Tank - No Shielding - Diseases heavily self heal like HoTs, each tick healing the deathknight. Shares portion of damage with pet, pet becomes an Abom.

Blood Melee DPS - Deathcoil becomes Blood Strike. Blood Strike can proc deathstrike to deal aditional damage as a bleed akin to frost strike and oblit. Deathstrike does aditional damage per disease on target.

\

Hunter

Beastmaster Melee DPS - At One with Nature - Uses melee weapons like an enhancement shaman/rogue - Killshot becomes Slaughter, both hunter and pet going for the throat to finish off the target. Steadyshot becomes Raptor Strike. Arcaneshot becomes Mongoose bite.

\

Shaman

Enhancement Tank 2H mace/axe/ - Earthwarder - Shaman takes on the form of an ascended elemental, having a constant earth elemental pet that can shield the shaman , or another with boulder shield, decreasing damage taken by the target, akin vigilance.
    Lightning shield becomes Elemental shield, increasing dodge rating with wind, armor with earth, parry rating with fire, shield potency and self healing with water.

\

Rogue

Assassination Ranged DPS - Ranged melee that plays akin to hunters with damage on the move through throwing knives, caltrops, and other "ninja-esque" style items

\

Monk

Mistweaver Caster DPS - Summoner focusing heavily on invoking the spirits to deal damage for you, and with you.

\

Mage

Arcane Healer - Timeweaver - Healing focused on reverting damage taken through "Time-Distortion" Chromie like that speeds up the natural healing of the target.

\

Priest

Discipline Healer/Caster DPS - Atonement returned

\

Warlock

Demonology Tank - Take on demon form with heavily increased armor, cooldowns invoke the aspect of each demon to alter the warlock or his spells. Voidwalker gives damage reduction. Imp gives spells AoE like Fire and Brimstone. Succubus increases healing recieved, can be cast on self or others.
    Last edited by Vx-Odessa-xV; 2015-08-17 at 11:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vx-Odessa-xV View Post
    snip
    I did enjoy. I always like fourth spec threads as they are fun discussions of what are classes could receive.

Whether it will actually happen is up in the air of course, in some ways 10 new specs to the game would be like adding three new classes at once and could present Blizzard with a balancing nightmare.

Timeweaving for Mages is the logical addition of course, if they ever do add fourth specs it would reflect the classes increasing use of the ability.

For Priests I think a melee based class, similar to the Friar from DAoC in conception, might be a better way forward.

For Death Knight, a fourth spec could be a ranged dps class based on the old Necromancer.

Warlock is definitely a tank...some might even suggest calling the spec Demon Hunter...

Shocking a another person with a warlock tank idea.
    HELL NO

Why would the shaman have a 2h tank spec when they can use shields?
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

PALADIN
    Holy Caster DPS
    Caster DPS defeats the whole point of being a paladin in the first place. Leave the holy DPS to priests.

everyone always wants a pally caster spec.... but i'd kinda like to have a pally dual wield spec. call it zealotry or something.

idk, it seems like a cool idea after watching exarch akama in action.

for hunters, i definitely want a dual wield melee spec, so i can fight along side my wolf.

mages, another melee spec, battle-mage. off-hand sword with a main-hand staff.

for warriors, make gladiator it's own spec with different abilities. it's too complicated right now.

priests, holy dps spec called inquisitor.

warlock... is tricky. maybe a blood magic spec for healing or dps.

monk, ranged dps based around yulon, change mistweaver to be related to chi-ji as it should have been from the start.

rogue, maybe focus more on the shadow aspect. rogues seem to be able to use shadow magic to a small degree.

death knight is obvious, full on necromancer like they should have done from the start.

oh, and shammy should have water-speaker, focusing on damage dealing water abilities like the fish guys from pandaria. ranged spell dps.
    Last edited by derpkitteh; 2015-05-25 at 08:04 AM.

everyone always wants a pally caster spec.... but i'd kinda like to have a pally dual wield spec. call it zealotry or something.

idk, it seems like a cool idea after watching exarch akama in action.
    Vindicator Icia is a dual wield paladin as well.

There's also Yrel with a 2 handed weapon+shield.

Lore characters are not restricted
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    I did enjoy. I always like fourth spec threads as they are fun discussions of what are classes could receive.

Whether it will actually happen is up in the air of course, in some ways 10 new specs to the game would be like adding three new classes at once and could present Blizzard with a balancing nightmare.

Timeweaving for Mages is the logical addition of course, if they ever do add fourth specs it would reflect the classes increasing use of the ability.

For Priests I think a melee based class, similar to the Friar from DAoC in conception, might be a better way forward.

For Death Knight, a fourth spec could be a ranged dps class based on the old Necromancer.

Warlock is definitely a tank...some might even suggest calling the spec Demon Hunter...
    Speaking of DK range spec, I had an idea that revolved around turning your runes into death runes, dumping 3 death runes in a high-damage spell, and then returning runes back into death runes, something like this...

Presence of Death - Unique Presence for the Necromancer spec. If a Blood, Unholy, or Frost rune is used, turn said rune into a Death Rune. Grants an additional set of Runes that behave just as other runes do (Not 100% sure on this, but the idea is to allow for a good amount of "banking" of your runes, using the filler, described below, to be able to cast set spells in succesion)

Blood Bolt - 2 blood runes. moderate casting speed, moderate damage, slows, roots a target slowed by the effect. If casted using Death Runes, the slow effect becomes a larger AoE

Plague Bolt - 1 unholy rune. Slow casting speed, low damage, spawns an undead to attack the target (Think Army of Ghouls lvl strength, only lasts a few seconds. At expiration, explodes for AoE damage, small range, closer to a cleave). If casted using Death Runes, the undead cleaves

Howling Blast - Essentially the current Howling Blast. If casted using Death Runes, Howling Blast refunds the death rune

Touch of Death - 3 death runes. Instant cast. High damage.

Death Coil - Current Death Coil. RP dump. Procs the rune talents and such. Passive that doubles its cost and damage.

Shadowgrasp - Filler. Instantly refills a random depleted rune. Very low damage, instant.

Raise Dead - Becomes the Necromancers 2 minute cooldown. Raises 5 undead (Akin to Timmy in power) for 15 seconds. At expiration, all ghouls explode for significant AoE damage after a 2 second cast.

So essentially, the Necromancer spec would have an entirely different casting feel compared to every other caster. Unlike every other caster class, which has a significant amount of filler, the Necromancer spec would not have much filler, and would instead have an entirely new feel to it, as it would be limited by their resources, and you would never be able to predict which spell you would cast next.

The main playstyle is that you would build up your runes to Death Runes, and then spend them depending on what you need done. For single target, or burst, you would spend your Death Runes on Touch of Death. For Burst AoE/Cleave, you may want to spend your death runes on Plague Bolt, for sustained AoE, Howling Blast. For kiting utilities, you spend it on Blood Bolt. Death Coil is costly to give more time to casting your main spells (It will also give a "bursty" feel to runes. You use Death Coil half as often, but you have a 100% chance to proc Runic Corruption/Empowerment, and twice the charges from Blood Tap). Finally, you utilize your filler spell in order to continue to casting your rune spells, whether to get up many death runes for a phase, or just to accelerate your cycle.

One additional change - Death and Decay. No longer costs a rune, instead refunds 1 Unholy rune.

- - - Updated - - -

For Warlock's 4th spec, they pretty much HAD it. Dark Apotheosis, it was awesome.

For Hunters, something I had a wild idea about - A new aspect that reduced damage by 50%, but allowed you to target allies, and heal them for what would be 100% of damage, or just shoot the boss for an atonement effect. Usable by all 3 specs, thus allowing all 3 specs to heal, each in their own way. Crazy idea.

Shaman's fourth spec, I already wrote up an idea somewhere on these forums a while back. Its tanking, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Deleted
    Beastmaster Melee DPS

If u check 1.4 talents survival is mostly melee spec
    there u go bm taletns are fun too
    http://www.wowprovider.com/Old.aspx?talent=1404341_3

Hunters technically have lone wolf / Adaptation, though the case for making adaptation into a melee spec could work out. Alternative: fury warriors could a talent that allows the to tame the beasts - so a melee will remain a melee

The issue with such talents is that these need to be a meaningful choice rather than "this button changes your spec". Gladiator stance is basically available to protection only so its a niche. Lone wolf was given to 2 specs, and for the same slot, BM hunters basically got just some more oomph without major changes to theway that spec felt.

I have a feeling that in 7.0 we just might have the spec system expanded for some classes. Gladiators might become a real spec.

For mages I would like to see a talent that does the following:
    Fire: gives Fire a phoenix pet; removes one dot spell and also gives a temporary hydra pet which replaces combustion.
    Arcane: turns into a lightning wizard ala diablo wizard - so deals nature damage; gains some stun cc as well.
    Frost: This is a tough one - but one of the alternatives would be to just boost the water elemental and remove some CC ability to balance it out. Like a frost mage with an elemental on steroids but lesser control. So essentially the feel of frost remains similar; this option wont be popular for rated pvp ofc.

Deleted
    I want holy dps priest, smiting spree and add some other cool damage spells... ftw =)

Deleted
    I'd like to see a a Death Knight healing either by manipulating blood or unholy energy
    Blood healing
    -Beacon of Blood : buffs an ally, like beacon of light
    -Death Strike heal an ally instead of yourself and give the beacon blood shield
    -Blood Boil also heal allies
    -Death Coil becomes Blood Coil, heals an ally and uses mana
    -Rune tap can be used on an ally

I would love to see arch-mage. Mastering the fire, frost and arcane ...
    Remember the archmage has mastered all spells of all schools

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubblebeard View Post
    I would love to see arch-mage. Mastering the fire, frost and arcane ...
    Remember the archmage has mastered all spells of all schools
    So he has tri spec?

For paladins:

CRUSADERS FURY

....basically it's Gladiator Stance for Prot Pallies....Maybe changes Avengers Shield into a shield bash similar to the D3 Crusaders (which...is a lot like the Shield Charge warriors get in Glad stance, but would have an AoE effect).
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Waste of time and effort. Most people don't touch all three of the ones they have, and typically hate at least one of them. If they haven't rolled a class out of curiosity for one spec already, a new fourth one is highly unlikely to tempt them either. So if you're going to put the equivalent effort of making 4 new classes, you might as well make four new classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Waste of time and effort. Most people don't touch all three of the ones they have, and typically hate at least one of them. If they haven't rolled a class out of curiosity for one spec already, a new fourth one is highly unlikely to tempt them either. So if you're going to put the equivalent effort of making 4 new classes, you might as well make four new classes.
    Again, here you come downing on any new ideas. Its also nowhere NEAR what making an entirely new class would be. New class uses entirely new blocks, whereas new specs uses whats already existing, and adds on to it. Additions are always easier to make then something entirely new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Deleted
    Warrior - Juggernaut. A highly durable medium-ranged spec that uses a shotgun or flamethrower and a shield along with explosives, focusing on AoE and general disruption.
    Last edited by mmocd2ab285f58; 2015-05-25 at 09:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paladin - Spell Plate DPS
    DK - Spell Plate DPS
    Hunter - Melee with 2H agility weapons.
    Warlock - Cloth Tank
    Monk - Spell Leather DPS
    Mage - Pet Build, elementals.
    Warrior - Ranged DPS
    Druid - NA
    Priest - Light (as in opposite of Shadow) DPS
    Rogue - Ranged DPS
    Shaman - Mail Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Caster DPS defeats the whole point of being a paladin in the first place. Leave the holy DPS to priests.
    Paladins are supposed to be Holy Warriors(in the "people what go to war" sense, not like the warrior class)... i don't see how caster DPS defeats that.