Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

1.5 million migrants blocked from voting on EU referendum by David Cameron

http://www.sky105.com/2015/05/15-mil...cked-from.html

The U.K. government said on Sunday that it would only allow British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens who are U.K. residents to participate on the oncoming EU referendum. All the approximately 1.5 million Migrants will be barred from participating in the voting process
    The decision means the EU referendum will not be held by the rules of a local election, in which EU and Commonwealth citizens can vote.

But the government will face attempts to alter the legislation, with the SNP set to argue that 16 and 17-year-olds should be allowed the vote, as they were in the independence referendum in Scotland.

The party's Westminster leader Angus Robertson said: "I don't agree with having a referendum on EU membership - but if it is to go ahead, then Cameron has a responsibility to help ensure it can be an enriching and open debate. Young people are our future. It is their UK - and their Europe - so they must have their say."
    Some of the changes Cameron is aiming to negotiate before supporting a vote to stay in the EU would be distinctly unappealing to migrant workers – such as the Conservative plan to ban European workers from getting work-related benefits until they have been resident for four years. This is despite research showing that, on average, a migrant worker is less likely to claim benefits than a native Briton.

To drum up support for his reforms, Cameron will visit Poland, the Netherlands and Denmark this week. He is hosting Jean-Claude Juncker, the President of the European Commission at Chequers today, with the date of the referendum a likely topic of discussion. Juncker is said to be keen for a vote to happen as early as 2016.

Deleted
    I heard labour wants to get 16-17 year olds to vote but Iam not really sure what that would change.

Deleted
    at last some good news

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Seems fair to me.

Deleted
    Basically the people eligible to vote are British Citizens + certain crown colonies who are directly governed by the UK. I don't think it comes as much of a surprise that someone who is a UK resident but not citizen cannot vote (in fact I'm pretty certain we use the same setups in our elections, I remember a bunch of Australians who have been resident here a while complaining they couldn't vote).

Just had the "EU migrants" spin added to it to sell papers.

I don't know the conservatives want to leave EU so much, oh yeah big scary immigrants youll have less of them, but your economy will go downhill very fast.

Makes sense. The vote shouldn't be of people alien to the UK saying "yes, you guys should stay" or "yes, you guys should stay". If that is what they wanted, they could do a global internet poll.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're using General Election rules, so it's UK Citizens that either live in the UK or abroad for not more than 15 years, Irish, Cypriots and Maltese in the UK and Gibraltarians, and you have to be over 18.

It's not really much of a surprise and nobody is being "blocked" as they aren't eligible to vote in the General Election.

Not sure if I got it right. They are blocking people who are not British citizen but working in Britain? If yes, then seems fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    I don't know the conservatives want to leave EU so much, oh yeah big scary immigrants youll have less of them, but your economy will go downhill very fast.
    They don't.....well half of them don't. The other half though? Oh boy do they hate the EU, they've hated it since it's inception. It's about the only satisfaction you get under a Conservative government, watching them tear themselves to pieces over the same internal argument for about 30-40 years now. The entire point of this referendum is so Dave can get them to shut the fuck and does what he says he for the next 5 years otherwise they will make passing legislation a living nightmare for him. Dave's term will effectively be judged on how well he manages to keep the crazies in his own party to heel.

Oh as to the actual topic, click bait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    People don't like the EU telling them what to do.
    1 of our biggest parties that is against is on the left, far away from being conservative. Although that is unrelated to immigrants, but the economic policies of the EU.

10+ Year Old Account
    The title is confusing. The people restricted from voting are UK/Welsh/Irish citizens who simply live outside a specified area, such as overseas for work or potentially in deployed military forces (though those people may be on military bases that allow them to qualify as having UK residence).

There aren't any non-UK citizens being allowed to vote, it's just UK citizens who don't maintain a residence in the homeland.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    The title is confusing. The people restricted from voting are UK/Welsh/Irish citizens who simply live outside a specified area, such as overseas for work or potentially in deployed military forces (though those people may be on military bases that allow them to qualify as having UK residence).

There aren't any non-UK citizens being allowed to vote, it's just UK citizens who don't maintain a residence in the homeland.
    They still have to pay taxes?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Not sure if I got it right. They are blocking people who are not British citizen but working in Britain? If yes, then seems fair enough.
    Other way around. British living abroad cannot vote. Only British who have residency. Not surprising given that those living away want the UK to stay in the EU, If the UK leaves they might have to leave and head home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    They still have to pay taxes?
    Probably. In the US when you work in another state you pay taxes to that state. I'm not sure if it works the same in Europe.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    Not surprising given that those living away want the UK to stay in the EU, If the UK leaves they might have to leave and head home.
    Unlikely more probable that they would have to give up their british citizenship-well done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    Other way around. British living abroad cannot vote. Only British who have residency. Not surprising given that those living away want the UK to stay in the EU, If the UK leaves they might have to leave and head home.
    Not quite.

If you're a UK Citizen and have lived outside of the UK for less than 15 years you can still vote. And some non-UK Citizens can vote, but it's restricted to those in the UK who come from Commonwealth countries and the Republic of Ireland.

The BBC is clearer on eligibility http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-32877712

Deleted
    if I lived in France as a UK citizen and they had a referendum regarding there EU membership I would not expect to be able to vote on it as it is a National decision.

There is no way that anyone, other than a UK born citizen, or UK passport holder should be allowed to vote on the referendum.

Deleted
    Kalis would you have to move back to the Island if it ever comes to this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Kalis would you have to move back to the Island if it ever comes to this?
    No, I also have citizenship of another EU country.