Thread: Noob Question

15+ Year Old Account

Noob Question

If I'm playing as a wizard do my followers use int as their primary stat & when I'm playing as a crusader do they suddenly want strength as their primary stat on items?

Each follower has a fixed stat with them, they don't suddenly switch.

Templar wants Strength.
    Smuggler wants Agility.
    Enchantress wants Intellect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubark View Post
    Each follower has a fixed stat with them, they don't suddenly switch.
    To add to this, don't gear them for dps, gear them for CC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gear them for keeping your ass alive.
    Also, the smuggler wants Dexterity, not agility.

The Enchantress wants Intellect items, the Scoundrel wants Dexterity items and the Templar wants Strength items.

as its been mentioned
    templar- str items
    scoundrel - dex items
    enchantress - int items

as for damage they do. its not comparable. the most they will hit for is about 10-20m. a drop in the bucket compared to players hitting over 3B
    gear them for Cc like its been said.

I'll just go the mile ahead and make a more detailed post about followers.

First: templar is godlike. CC and heals are the reason you want a follower and simply put Enchantress and Scoundrel don't bring heals. They have other cool skills but Templar wins because of the heals. keep in mind that this reasoning involves pushing high GR - for T6 farming you don't actually need a follower, or you can get the one that gives you the "biggest" dps increase for faster clearing (though most of the job is done by your gear).

There are a bunch of item combinations that work very well with the templar. I'll list them below.
    Immortality Relic is a must - the other two are fancy but when your templar is most of the time on the groud it doesn't provide an actual advantage. Also required for Unity ring.

This is the best shield for the templar - it freezes enemies on blocks; other shields have basically specials that have very little use for your follower.

As for weapon, season 3 brought this one on the table, which again is awesome due to the free CC it provides. If you don't have this one, Thunderfury/Fulminator are decent options (especially Thunderfury with the slow).

Best neck is the EoJ both because of the pull+slow and because other amulets actually don't give anything to your follower (it's already immortal due to relic).

As for the rings, we have more than a viable option, and it all just depends on luck/preference. Unity is somewhat required for pushing high GR but i see classes that don't actually need the ring (like monk with Siprit Guard bracers) so it frees a ring slot.
    The other two rings of choice are:
    - Wedding Band because the passive damage aura prcs the slow skill of the templar continuosly as it counts as a damaging attack. The heal is not needed again because he's immortal, but a perma slow aoe is really good to have.
    - Wyrdward requires you to reroll the elementald amage type of your weapon to lightning to work, but then again you have a free stun proc from your follower.

Also in the case of rings, there are not many choices because speciales are not meant for followers. The new Arcstone ring can work between you and your follower, but it's overshadowed by combo like Focus/Restraint or Convention of Elements so it's not a choice even for T6 (until you haven't dropped anything better).

As for stats, the question is simple - STR everywhere, IIRC ChD is capped at 150%, ChC at 34%, AS at 30% - CDR is another good stat because allows for more healing spam. if you want absolutely a socket in templar weapon, Ruby is better than Emerald.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    Coldkill is spot on for your Templars items. Another viable ring is Oculus ring if you reroll one of the stats to IAS (stacks with the already present IAS). More Attack Speed = more CC

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    As for weapon, season 3 brought this one on the table, which again is awesome due to the free CC it provides. If you don't have this one, Thunderfury/Fulminator are decent options (especially Thunderfury with the slow).
    Presumably an Odyn Son would be a good choice too?

Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post
    Presumably an Odyn Son would be a good choice too?
    Yeah, mostly because of the interaction with the Wyrdward ring. Any weapon is fine since damage is not an issue; the point of the dagger is the incredible amount of CC it provides.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, mostly because of the interaction with the Wyrdward ring. Any weapon is fine since damage is not an issue; the point of the dagger is the incredible amount of CC it provides.
    Did they hotfix the dagger btw? It's still insane CC, but not quite the "Perma-lockdown" it used to be
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Hey guys i have a question how cn level up very fast
    (im new in this game)

Quote Originally Posted by thefruit View Post
    Hey guys i have a question how cn level up very fast
    (im new in this game)
    You get a friend that is lvl 70 already to run you through lvl 70 torment content and you should be a 70 in like 30-60 mins.

10+ Year Old Account
    As for stats, the question is simple - STR everywhere, IIRC ChD is capped at 150%, ChC at 34%, AS at 30% - CDR is another good stat because allows for more healing spam. if you want absolutely a socket in templar weapon, Ruby is better than Emerald.
    As for that that stat priority, I have to ask - Should you even bother gearing your follower for damage? The follower's potential damage output is less then 1% of your own damage output, so is there any point to getting CHD/CHC, and even strength? Although I guess its a moot point because you can only have 2 secondaries, but I would think that one would prefer things like Magic Find, or even Gold Find/XP bonus on gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    As for that that stat priority, I have to ask - Should you even bother gearing your follower for damage? The follower's potential damage output is less then 1% of your own damage output, so is there any point to getting CHD/CHC, and even strength? Although I guess its a moot point because you can only have 2 secondaries, but I would think that one would prefer things like Magic Find, or even Gold Find/XP bonus on gear.
    gear him for cc.
    perfect gear would be ess of johan with 8% cdr/1000 str/ 10% crit chance/7% atk speed http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-ess-of-johan
    freeze of deflection shield with cdr 8/crit chance 10%(if it can roll that)and str with 1.5 sec freeze http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/freeze-of-deflection
    ancient t-fury for slows/ atk speed/ str/ cdr 10% http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/thun...the-windseeker
    enchanting favor ancient with 1000 str, 16% block chance, 100% crit dmg, any stat for the 4th roll http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/enchanting-favor
    and bul kaothos ring with 6% crit chance/8% cdr/ str/ 7% attack speed http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/bulkathoss-wedding-band

overall this gives the follower like..8+8+8+10 cdr= like 44% cdr
    plus atk speed for more casts/attacks
    plus 100% crit dmg (150 is the cap i think) might be 100 though

templar skills
    heal
    intimidate
    charge
    inspire.

the BK ring will constantly aoe proc and slow mobs for 3 sec around the templar. giving u lots of bane of the trapped/cull the weak bonus damage. thats why BK ring is so awesome, constant aoe dmg leading to slow via intimidate.

as your point for gold find/experience/MF. all follower bonuses are cut into 1/3rd. if u had 90% exp gained on him. you'd only recieve 30%. as it stats i think only leorics ring has bonus exp and hellfire so thats a max of 30+50=80% /3 = like 26.66% more. furthermore since solo exp is insanely slow compared to 4 man grifts. theres even less reason to use exp items on a templar.
    Last edited by announced; 2015-06-01 at 05:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    gear him for cc.
    perfect gear would be ess of johan with 8% cdr/1000 str/ 10% crit chance/7% atk speed http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-ess-of-johan
    freeze of deflection shield with cdr 8/crit chance 10%(if it can roll that)and str with 1.5 sec freeze http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/freeze-of-deflection
    ancient t-fury for slows/ atk speed/ str/ cdr 10% http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/thun...the-windseeker
    enchanting favor ancient with 1000 str, 16% block chance, 100% crit dmg, any stat for the 4th roll http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/enchanting-favor
    and bul kaothos ring with 6% crit chance/8% cdr/ str/ 7% attack speed http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/bulkathoss-wedding-band

overall this gives the follower like..8+8+8+10 cdr= like 44% cdr
    plus atk speed for more casts/attacks
    plus 100% crit dmg (150 is the cap i think) might be 100 though

templar skills
    heal
    intimidate
    charge
    inspire.

the BK ring will constantly aoe proc and slow mobs for 3 sec around the templar. giving u lots of bane of the trapped/cull the weak bonus damage. thats why BK ring is so awesome, constant aoe dmg leading to slow via intimidate.

as your point for gold find/experience/MF. all follower bonuses are cut into 1/3rd. if u had 90% exp gained on him. you'd only recieve 30%. as it stats i think only leorics ring has bonus exp and hellfire so thats a max of 30+50=80% /3 = like 26.66% more. furthermore since solo exp is insanely slow compared to 4 man grifts. theres even less reason to use exp items on a templar.
    That doesn't answer my question, in that is there any point to having ANY +damage stats on him. Attack Speed/CDR is pretty good because it helps with his CCing ability, but Stregth/Crit chance/Crit damage is more or less wasted on followers because they deal such pitiful damage anyway.

Although I guess that you can look at it as there aren't any other stats, nor are there any legendaries that roll more secondary stats so you can't get more CC anyway, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    That doesn't answer my question, in that is there any point to having ANY +damage stats on him. Attack Speed/CDR is pretty good because it helps with his CCing ability, but Stregth/Crit chance/Crit damage is more or less wasted on followers because they deal such pitiful damage anyway.

Although I guess that you can look at it as there aren't any other stats, nor are there any legendaries that roll more secondary stats so you can't get more CC anyway, but still.
    theres no point in gearing him for damage. hence why i said gear him for CC. even if your follower could hit 50m per swing (his sheet dps would be like 2m or so by my estimation) he wouldnt be able to make a decent dent. certainly not when he has like 400k max dps, and hitting 10ms.

so there is 0 point in gearing him for damage, he wont help u that way. hes only there for ccs.

You definitely want to stack the proper primary stats. My main is a wizard, but I made a barb specifically to gear up my templar. He now has more STR (14k) than my GR49 barb, and 650k sheet dps. The templar actually does very substantial damage when you are progressing GRs when you give him a decent BK wedding band. Depending on how much time it takes you to down the guardian he can do up to 10-15% of the guardian's health. The higher the GR, the more damage he does.

Keep in mind follower's crit damage caps at 150%, so just the legendary relic is often enough to cap crit damage. You want want red gems in all other slots, and stack as much STR>CHC>Physical Damage % as possible. Flat damage on rings is also decent.

You can also build him for CC, but honestly if you want CC you probably should be using the enchantress with a shitload of CDR. Her CC is the hardest by far. Shaving off a big chunk of GR guardian's health to beat tight timers is more important for me. But if you do build templar for CC you can just give up all damage and stack block/AS and cheese items.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    You definitely want to stack the proper primary stats. My main is a wizard, but I made a barb specifically to gear up my templar. He now has more STR (14k) than my GR49 barb, and 650k sheet dps. The templar actually does very substantial damage when you are progressing GRs when you give him a decent BK wedding band. Depending on how much time it takes you to down the guardian he can do up to 10-15% of the guardian's health. The higher the GR, the more damage he does.

Keep in mind follower's crit damage caps at 150%, so just the legendary relic is often enough to cap crit damage. You want want red gems in all other slots, and stack as much STR>CHC>Physical Damage % as possible. Flat damage on rings is also decent.

You can also build him for CC, but honestly if you want CC you probably should be using the enchantress with a shitload of CDR. Her CC is the hardest by far. Shaving off a big chunk of GR guardian's health to beat tight timers is more important for me. But if you do build templar for CC you can just give up all damage and stack block/AS and cheese items.
    Thanks, that actually helps out quite a bit.

Everything is set depandant and how YOU want to play ..