Suggestions for other MMOs?

Hey everyone, I have a question that I'd hope some of you can answer with personal experiences. I'm currently unsubbed from WoW, and was looking to try out a new MMO with my best friend and his girlfriend (both of which also quit). As a note, none of us particularly like PvP (I enjoy it somewhat, but not hardcore about it).

My best friend had played SWTOR for a long while and wants to return, but it has seemingly gone way down hill since then, at least if you are F2P. Can anyone attest to this? Is it much better if you are subbed, or is it still a poor experience?

Secondly, we are tempted to try out ESO, as we are both Elder Scrolls fans and they are using the "pay-once to play-forever" model that GW2 is using. Is anyone currently playing this? I would like to know what your experience has been like, if the game has end game content and a good community. I played it during the Beta, but did not get very far in as several bugs were still present and other RL responsibilities prevented me. Though, I do remember the crafting UI was beautiful.

Third, FFXIV is some what of an interest to myself (not so much my friend since he despised the UI when it first came out, has it changed?). I've always been a Final Fantasy fan (my favorites being 4, 9, 10, and tactics), and my brother also actively plays. I believe the payment model is similar to most other MMOs (purchase game, $15/mo sub?), which is a bit of a turn off as I have no idea if it would be worth it. So, my question for anyone playing FFXIV, is it a fun leveling experience, a somewhat decent story, and plenty of end game content? I also heard flying was coming to this, which is a plus.

Also, regarding Guild Wars 2, is it still being actively updated? I have another friend who had played and he spoke highly about the questing/leveling experience, but I would like other opinions involving the story/end game content/raiding.

Lastly, what other MMOs are you playing, or planning to play in the near future?

Discuss.
    Last edited by Lionhearte0; 2015-05-26 at 01:51 AM.

GW2 is actively updated, but not with raids and dungeons or new zones; no the updates are usually new story missions to play through, and the occasional festivity. Don't be fooled though; they are sizeable updates. GW2 is also getting a new expansion in a few months.

I'm currently leveling in GW2 (62 atm) and I gotta say, it's pretty lackluster. The combat is on the same level as wow, and while they do promote teamwork, no communication is needed because everyone is basically a DPS. There are only 8 dungeons in the entire game and there aren't any raids. The story is kind of crappy and there are choices but none of them feel meaningful. The story is more or less and giant dragon has come to destroy the world and it has zombies. The characters are also poorly voiceacted. Quests aren't any different than you'd expect in WoW; they are identical except there are no exclamation points or question marks to click on, and instead they just pop up on the minimap. What I do like about GW2 is that the economy and professions aren't completely messed up like they are in WoW, and exploration/jumping puzzles are really fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderjac View Post
    I'm currently leveling in GW2 (62 atm) and I gotta say, it's pretty lackluster. The combat is on the same level as wow, and while they do promote teamwork, no communication is needed because everyone is basically a DPS.
    Story mode is a cake walk; dungeon mode and fractals with other actual players requires coordination and specific builds.

But yeah; everything outside the instance is pretty much a zerg meta.

The only 2 MMOs I would recommend at the moment are GW2 and FFXIV. GW2 is just a solid MMO that has withstood the test of time surprisingly well, and FFXIV is very much on the rise atm with a new expansion around the corner. GW2 has a very solid and big playerbase, while FFXIV is still growing. All other MMOs are either on the decline, near death or just dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderjac View Post
    I'm currently leveling in GW2 (62 atm) and I gotta say, it's pretty lackluster. The combat is on the same level as wow, and while they do promote teamwork, no communication is needed because everyone is basically a DPS. There are only 8 dungeons in the entire game and there aren't any raids. The story is kind of crappy and there are choices but none of them feel meaningful. The story is more or less and giant dragon has come to destroy the world and it has zombies. The characters are also poorly voiceacted. Quests aren't any different than you'd expect in WoW; they are identical except there are no exclamation points or question marks to click on, and instead they just pop up on the minimap. What I do like about GW2 is that the economy and professions aren't completely messed up like they are in WoW, and exploration/jumping puzzles are really fun.
    I wasn't aware of most of that. When I played, I only got to around level 15 as a Norn Warrior. Didn't get a chance to play past that before the Beta ended. I know the combat was like WoW, which wasn't so much of an issue for me. I really did enjoy the art, however. Story, I didn't even know it had much of an overall "big bad dragon" one, as it seemed very generic and "local" in the zone for as far as I got in the game.

How is GW2's combat like WoW?

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    GW2 is actively updated, but not with raids and dungeons or new zones; no the updates are usually new story missions to play through, and the occasional festivity. Don't be fooled though; they are sizeable updates. GW2 is also getting a new expansion in a few months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Story mode is a cake walk; dungeon mode and fractals with other actual players requires coordination and specific builds.

But yeah; everything outside the instance is pretty much a zerg meta.
    Seems pretty interesting. I haven't done much actual raiding in WoW since Wrath (LFR doesn't count), so I don't know if I still have the schedule to do it if it is as difficult as you make it seem lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    World of Politicscraft

Players can choose between to factions

Democrat or Republicans.

Classes would consist of Liberals, Conservatives, Fence sitters, and SJW's

SJW's - would be the Tanks and Warrior class.

Liberals and Conservatives- Would be the DPS class.

Fencesitters - Could be the Healers.

NPC's could be like Communist, and Facist.

I am not sure how you could work out expansions, though.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    How is GW2's combat like WoW?
    I'm scratching my head wondering this right now as well. The two game's combat are entirely different. One is an action based system with hit boxes and freely usable abilities, the other is a traditional hot-key based MMO with math based skill rotation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    World of Politicscraft

Players can choose between to factions

Democrat or Republicans.

Classes would consist of Liberals, Conservatives, Fence sitters, and SJW's

SJW's - would be the Tanks and Warrior class.

Liberals and Conservatives- Would be the DPS class.

Fencesitters - Could be the Healers.

NPC's could be like Communist, and Facist.

I am not sure how you could work out expansions, though.
    Think you might have missed the point of the thread, but that was pretty amusing xD

Please use this thread for all game suggestions/requests: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Suggest-a-Game!