Whats the next harry potter series?

Need a good audiobook to listen to on my 30 minute drive to work. What are all the kids reading now a days?
    Shadow Priest Wýcked <Incarnate> Nerzhul
    Death Knight Yzf <RX> Lethon
    Boomkin Yzf <Incarnate> Nerzhul

10+ Year Old Account
    Hunger Games, Twilight... maybe that Divergent book series?
    Hi

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I want her to make a book about VOldermort's rise to power. Basically an opposite Harry Potter book where it's darker and about his childhood and how he grew up to become he who must not be named. Yes we get bits and pieces in the HP books, but I'd love a like 3 part series about Voldermort where the last scene is with him standing in front of the Potter house before we all know what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I thought the author of Harry Potter was making another book (from Hagrids pov?) about the mythical animals around the school.

Edit: Seems like it might just be a movies series:

"In September 2013, Warner Bros. announced an "expanded creative partnership" with Rowling, based on a planned series of films about Newt Scamander, author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. The first film will be scripted by Rowling, and be set roughly 70 years before the events of the main series. In 2014, it was announced that the series would consist of three films."
    She wrote a short book of "Fantastic beasts and where to find them" that benefited charity while she was still doing the harry potter books. She is working on the movie, as well.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wycked View Post
    Need a good audiobook to listen to on my 30 minute drive to work. What are all the kids reading now a days?
    It's not new, but it IS freaking awesome:

His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman. Three books of epic win.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    It's not new, but it IS freaking awesome:

His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman. Three books of epic win.
    The audiobooks for that are amazing as well. It's a full cast audiobook so there is a separate person for each of the characters. It's more like a radio play then an audiobook. Speaking of, the BBC radio play for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is also really good.

His Dark Materials is a bit more in-depth than Harry Potter, and touches on much deeper themes. But great books, yes. I don't know of many kids who read it, though, it seems like something 20 year olds read when they want a "kid's book" full of fantasy and magic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    His Dark Materials is a bit more in-depth than Harry Potter, and touches on much deeper themes. But great books, yes. I don't know of many kids who read it, though, it seems like something 20 year olds read when they want a "kid's book" full of fantasy and magic.
    I could see the first book falling into the young adult category since it is pretty straight forward, outside of some anti-church stuff, but after that it does get into some more complex ideas and themes. Great series though. Also, for anyone interested in the series, don't judge it on the movie adaptation of the first book The Golden Compass. It was a pretty poor adaptation that removed many of the more interesting ideas of the book.

Some other series I would check out include the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and it's follow-ups and spin offs. I actually liked the spin off series that starts with Ender's Shadow and follow the character Bean more then the ones that follow Ender. Again, don't judge it on the pitiful film adaptation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I read it when it first came out, I was a young teen, loved every second of it (cried like a bitch with a skinned knee at the ending though...)

Tbh, if they can get through and enjoy the later Harry Potter books, nothing in HDM should be too much for them. In fact I'd almost say it's the natural progression

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Deleted
    If you want more Harry Potter, I recommend Mio, My Son by Astrid Lindgren, It is the book that probably inspired Rowling. Some of the concepts and story are the same as Potter. Like you cant say the big bad name.

Not one concept that is not in Mio is a magic school, but magic exist, like a invisibility cloak.
    Last edited by mmoc957ac7b970; 2015-05-27 at 05:13 AM.

Deleted
    How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell and most of em are vocied by david tennant (aka doctor who nr 10) has about 12 books and tend to be about 1½-2 hours per book (12 total) and it's totally diffent from the films. but that might be in the youger scale. more teens orianted might be some of the other suggestions posted.

thanks everyone, gonna check out HDM then go from there
    Shadow Priest Wýcked <Incarnate> Nerzhul
    Death Knight Yzf <RX> Lethon
    Boomkin Yzf <Incarnate> Nerzhul

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks everyone, gonna check out HDM then go from there
    Enjoy!

And have some tissues handy for the last one...

Deleted
    Series that are superb for both young children and adults are very rare indeed. His Dark Materials by Pullman is NOT one of them, in my opinion.

I found that it started reasonably well ,especially much of the first book. It may feel noticeably much slower than many books including Harry Potter, but that by itself is not a deal breaker at all if it is well written and anticipates an imaginative story.

But by the second and third book the author introduces such a mess of character interactions, story objectives and random crazy ideas that it disassembles everything that came before in terms of actual story telling. It is almost as if the author had filled a kitchen sink of plausible ideas over a decade then decided to incorporate as many of them into a few books, come what may.

It may not be anywhere near as divisive as, for example, the Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" - which many people just completely stop reading - but your mileage may vary from the high praise given in this thread so far.

Personally, I'd recommend deciding on the type of fiction you want to read, then looking up Goodreads.com within that category, and double checking on Amazon.com.

Here are my recommendations in a few categories:

Magical fantasy:
    - "The Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher [very well narrated]

Epic fantasy:
    - "Stormlight Archive" series by Brandon Sanderson [incomplete series]

Dark fantasy:
    - "Night Angel" series by Brent Weeks
    - "The Black Company" series by Glen Cook [inspired many other series including "Malazan: Book of the Fallen" by Steve Erikson]
    - "The First Law Triology" by Joe Abercrombie

I have tried to order them in terms of reading audience. So, the Dresden Files is closest to Harry Potter. The rest become more mature as you descend the list. All of them have audiobooks with good narrators.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2015-05-29 at 12:09 AM.

Forget the YA series. You read "Dresden Files" yet?

James Marsters does most of them in audiobook form, even :P

Deleted
    When it comes to popularity, the only books that I feel come close to Harry Potter are the Song of Ice and Fire books. It's a good time to start now, since The Winds of Winter are set to release before season 6 of Game of Thrones (which will be April 2016 most likely)