Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is MUT viable for (M) Blackhand?

Ping to start progressing on mythic black hand very shortly and was just wondering if assassination is viable, currently run sub/combat but with no more farm runs I am not needing combat spec. Is it worth using assassination for the black hand fight until we get first kill as will more than likely have multiple jobs in the fight and makes management that bit simpler ?
    Cheers

Deleted
    Yes, there are people among us, that will do better with assassination.

Deleted
    Im only 1/10 M, but ive found that i can pull better and more consistent numbers playing assassin than subt - So for me its viable

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ezola View Post
    Im only 1/10 M, but ive found that i can pull better and more consistent numbers playing assassin than subt - So for me its viable
    I can play sub fine and it pulls higher numbers and is also very consistant what I'm wondering is if mut is viable for mythic blackhand due to mut doing a lot of Its damage through its poisons meaning that when I'm kiting the siege I can still be doing damage to both the siege and blackhand.
    This is not a question on if assassination is a viable PVE spec
    But cheers anyway

Well, it can't be too bad for us if there are 80-something recorded kills for assa on warcraftlogs for mythic blackhand. Sure is a hell of a lot better than frost mage and frost dk. Sub feels extremely fluid for this fight if you're confident in your ability to play it on mythic, especially if you're going to be handling tasks like baiting but that's honestly just my opinion. I'd go with you feel comfortable with given you don't gimp your raid.

your running end game mythics, albeit hardly while current, but still end game none the less. VIABLE ISNT A THING. There is optimal, and then there is you playing incorrectly. If you are not playing the optimal spec, you are doing it wrong.
    Shadow Priest Wýcked <Incarnate> Nerzhul
    Death Knight Yzf <RX> Lethon
    Boomkin Yzf <Incarnate> Nerzhul

Depends what strat your guild is using.

Rogues in this fight tend to do a lot of not dpsing during phase 2 due to kiting sieges/baiting mortars. If you're doing this, mut is perfectly viable, as the only times you'll really be doing any dps to the boss is during p1 and 3.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wycked View Post
    your running end game mythics, albeit hardly while current, but still end game none the less. VIABLE ISNT A THING. There is optimal, and then there is you playing incorrectly. If you are not playing the optimal spec, you are doing it wrong.
    Jump off your high horse for a second when firstly you haven't killed black hand yourself and secondly don't seem to own a rogue in end game content. As kiwi said below with rogues kiting not much uptime on the boss can occur so my question of if mut is VIABLE is perfectly legit, seeing as you can sustain damage with your poisons much easier on multiple targets and doesn't mean I am playing wrong

To add to what I said, if you're doing progress at this point of the tier, dps isn't going to be an issue for your group. Everyone is geared enough that you should able to push phases at the required moments without much hassle. Wipes are only going to occur due to poor execution of mechanics, so getting comfortable with the mechanics is more important than pumping out more dps with the most difficult spec. If playing mut is what helps you focus on not messing up the mechanics, go for it, you really won't suffer much on the dps side of things by doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffafar View Post
    Jump off your high horse for a second when firstly you haven't killed black hand yourself and secondly don't seem to own a rogue in end game content. As kiwi said below with rogues kiting not much uptime on the boss can occur so my question of if mut is VIABLE is perfectly legit, seeing as you can sustain damage with your poisons much easier on multiple targets and doesn't mean I am playing wrong
    He's in <Incarnate> US 24th Mythic Blackhand.. just fyi. At this point in progression on such a nerfed boss you can play whatever you want.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Suthix View Post
    He's in <Incarnate> US 24th Mythic Blackhand.. just fyi. At this point in progression on such a nerfed boss you can play whatever you want.
    Good for him but that is on his/her priest and hasn't actually got the kill themselves

Deleted
    Ignoring all the useless answers about its a nerfed boss and people epeen...

It's viable, I'm progressing on it atm and I orginally swapped and renchant everything for mutilate it was pretty RNG as to if I was higher or lower than the two sub rogues but I eventually swapped back. I now kind of regret it.

Sub is fine for it but I was the rogue in phase 1 that has to clear the bombs and sure its only a few seconds out of your rotation but it seems to always come at the wrong time so if you are the rogue that has to clear the bombs then I'd say go ahead. It's a point that you'll end up playing sub for it after you've killed it as you'll most likely go back to sub for farm etc but if it helps you kill it then its definitely fine to play as long as you regem and enchant etc.

Deleted
    I had the job to clear bombs in p1 and p2, and bait mortars during p2 too.
    The only advantage that assa can have will be in p3 because of execute, but even then , it's not sur that you will pull bigger numbers because you are not 100% on melee range and have only vendetta for burst (soaking smashes, soaking debris)

The disadvantage of mut on this boss compared to sub, when you do all the rogue job, is that you won't be able to pull an entire vendetta on the boss except during p1, or you would have to delay it too much and loose utilisations. On the contrary, as sub you burst every time you get back on the boss, and i mean every time. In fact every time you are away, you wouldn't have done much damage on the boss (you have to manage your CDs well but you will eventually see a pattern as you are progressing during P2), and it gives time for you CD to reset so that's an advantage compared to assa.
    Moreover, poisons do damage while you are kitting/baiting/soaking yes, but rupture as sub does a lot of damages too, so that's not an argument too differentiate the 2 specs.

As it has been said, there is no more dps check on this boss and, so play whatever you feel better at, but there is no reason to have less efficiency as sub, on the contrary

10+ Year Old Account
    In end game raiding, there is viable, and there is optimal.

Viable meaning, yeah it works but you probably wont do as good as you would doing it the optimal way.

At least in my opinion.

Mut is pretty good. Sub is still better but if you want to play Mut you won't be a detriment to your raid. For my guild's first kill I played Sub and the other rogue played Mut, I was ahead by a tiny bit but he still did good DPS.

Out of the first three guilds that killed blackhand, 8 rogues were sub 1 was mut. If mut were not viable, you would see 9 sub rogues.

It depends on your role in the raid. Most Mythic strategies involve tanking the Siegemakers and having three melee baiting out Mortar shots, so if you're part of the melee baiting you're better off as Sub since Find weakness lets you stack your damage for the moments you're actually DPSing in phase 2.

If you're lucky and assigned to 100% boss DPS, you can play assassination, but even under these circumstances Sub will pull ahead assuming optimal play of both specs.
    Don't let other people define your standards for happiness.

7+ Year Old Account
    if ur a rogue ur on the do all mechanics anyway dont really matter what spec you play your going to do garbage dps. everything isnt always about dps, ido mythic blackhand atm as mut, just cause energy regen, since i do all the rogue stuff on that fight. i barely dps the boss in p2. so i dot it and sprint around and be where i need to be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazzrogue View Post
    if ur a rogue ur on the do all mechanics anyway dont really matter what spec you play your going to do garbage dps. everything isnt always about dps, ido mythic blackhand atm as mut, just cause energy regen, since i do all the rogue stuff on that fight. i barely dps the boss in p2. so i dot it and sprint around and be where i need to be.
    The spec you play doesn't change at all your ability to soak bombs or bait mortars or soak smashes. And doing better DPS always helps.

If you're mortar bait, then it's mostly irrelevant. I played Mut for the hell of it, but Sub is definitely optimal. I would have been 13th or 14th instead of 15th if I had played Sub. Woo.