Poll: For or Against Adblock?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    If not for adblock i probably just wouldn't visit many sites i do now, including mmo-champion. The ads are just ridiculous, not to mention some (not necessarily here) are loaded with malware if you click them by accident. If youtube goes through with that though, i just won't go to youtube anymore. Really doesn't bother me.
    Last edited by bmjclark; 2015-05-26 at 10:34 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    I accidentally chose the second option (too hungry)

GAAA!!!!!!

I am FOR AdBlock. However from business standpoint and trying to keep a young business afloat, AdBlock is the DEVIL! I guess thats something that the industry will need to learn to live with and find alternative methods of usage of their sites. However hosting/bandwith = expensive, specially if you are running a CDN.
    I think the issue is that many sites and the ad agencies they use are not safe and careful about the content they allow to go up in their advertisements. MMO-C is one of the worst sites for this unfortunately. I try to unblock sites which I believe are safe and which I know do need the ad revenue (for eg. I have Icy Veins+WCL on my exception lists) but as a rule of thumb it's going to be I run adblock on a site until I believe it's safe, not the other way around.

Deleted
    1,470,854 ads blocked so far. I don't think I'd browse the internet the same way if I'd have to watch so many fucking ads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeafmuncher View Post
    1,470,854 ads blocked so far. I don't think I'd browse the internet the same way if I'd have to watch so many fucking ads.
    where does it show that statistic?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Thats why thought. Being able to adjust what sites we would allow adverts on is fine.

Like I read on a forum post, someone saying before all this ad revenue shit, websites weren't supported by these corporations and just made content. Obviously it takes money to made better content, and some sites need the funding, but when every website you visit has adverts on it slowing down your pc, its gone to such extremes nowadays I just want to shut them out.

It kinda makes me think of the Charge episode in southpark.
    Let's face it, Google doesn't need more fucking money to keep YouTube running

As soon as they introduce decent, subtle adverts that don't give me a heart attack, lag the website, hinder other functionality of my browser, don't exploit the Flash code or do other nasty things other than saying "Hi, buy this!", I'll never be for the removal of Adblock.

Online ads have become so malicious, Adblock is the only thing between me and never visiting those sites that use those ads. They will gain nothing. If they remove Adblock, this may be yet another boost for Twitch, as their VODs are quite good, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    where does it show that statistic?
    I just left click on Adblock (mind you, I don't have Adblock Plus, not sure how they do it).

Almost a million for me, too. 14 Ads blocked on MMO-C at the moment. Sorry guys. 14 (!) just on a random thread page. I could live with 1, maybe 2...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    As soon as they introduce decent, subtle adverts that don't give me a heart attack, lag the website, hinder other functionality of my browser, don't exploit the Flash code or do other nasty things other than saying "Hi, buy this!", I'll never be for the removal of Adblock.

Online ads have become so malicious, Adblock is the only thing between me and never visiting those sites that use those ads. They will gain nothing. If they remove Adblock, this may be yet another boost for Twitch, as their VODs are quite good, too.

- - - Updated - - -

I just left click on Adblock (mind you, I don't have Adblock Plus, not sure how they do it).

Almost a million for me, too. 14 Ads blocked on MMO-C at the moment. Sorry guys. 14 (!) just on a random thread page. I could live with 1, maybe 2...
    adblock plus must be different because left clicking doesn't bring it up.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Yeah, I switched to Adblock after all the controversy about Adblock Plus offering Companies to be put on Whitelists if they pay money. Kinda defeats the purpose and is just pure greedy. Adblock seemed to block more, too.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

15+ Year Old Account
    If as a company you don't want users to block your ads, then don't use html. html was, and is still, made to give some information on what you'd like the client to display, not on what he has to display. Filtering and adapting it is just a normal part of the process, every single browser does it, even without any plugins.

I always thought a company relying on advertising to survive, especially on the web, doesn't deserve to keep on living. So I have absolutely no problem blocking all ads (and much more) when browsing anything. If I really like what you do, give me a simple way to support you, if you don't, then just f*** off, I'm not going to force myself into seeing shit just to give you a few cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    I fucking hate ads with every part of my being, everytime I see a "forced" ad on Youtube (one that runs it's entire length without the ability to skip 5 secs in) when I see my housemate use Youtube on his Xbox, I instantly just despise the company and refuse to buy their products.

If I want to read an advertisement about a product, I'll look for it myself.
    Same thing for me. Had one ad from Cadbury about a month ago, as a popup, I haven't bought anything from them since that time (I did quite often before), and I'm not sure I will ever again. Switched another chocolate brand (not that I could really call Cadbury things "chocolate", more like oil&grease with chocolate taste for most of them).

And I just laughed seeing that:

I'll definitely stick with them
    Oh, hi.

I run AdBlock, but I also disable it on websites that don't have intrusive adverts or I wish to support. The reason I run it here on MMO-Champion is that sometimes I get quite a few annoying adverts, and the background adverts often reduce loading times of the page making it annoying to visit MMO-Champion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I switched to Adblock after all the controversy about Adblock Plus offering Companies to be put on Whitelists if they pay money. Kinda defeats the purpose and is just pure greedy. Adblock seemed to block more, too.
    Saw that too, not sure at all this was legit. Looked more like companies that couldn't match the (harsh) conditions to be whitelisted by adblock (no popup, no sound, no lots of things) and decided to write some slanderous articles about it.
    Oh, hi.

And just because I've had success with this demonstration in the past... a better way to motivate buyers is to make a good commercial instead of mindraping their browsing experience. It can be as simple as this:

Now be honest, who doesn't at least think positively about the brand afterwards? And by showing you this, it's me spreading the ad. And you can choose to ignore it if you like, too!

Out of curiosity, do websites get money for people clicking the ads or just for people visiting the sites with ads on them? If it's the former, sites lose nothing from me using adblock :P.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeafmuncher View Post
    1,251,397 in total here.
    I have seen this ad so many times and I still get chills when I see. I hope everyone on that marketing team got a damn raise.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes I'm pro ad block!

I'm a proud user of Adblock.

Deleted
    It does for me.

(Last one is total Ads blocked - if it isn't obvious.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    It does for me.

(Last one is total Ads blocked - if it isn't obvious.)
    thats not what mine is showing....also i can't read german/austrian but your options menu appears to be different than mine since mine has more lines.

I'm generally willing to pay for software, media and services I use. I buy my stuff, I don't pirate anything etc. What I can't stand is the intrusive and insolent nature of "advertising". Leave me alone with your crap. As things currently are: Adblock all the way.

15+ Year Old Account
    Depends on version/browser.

Also, another thing I forgot in my last post: I currently pay my internet connection by Gb. Which means I pay for every single Mb an ad uses, and there's no way I'm going to pay to see ads.
    Oh, hi.