Poll: For or Against Adblock?

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    UGH I just dislike all ads in any form now most of the time spent watching the tv is waiting for ads to finish go to a clinic waiting to be seen by a doctor so you read a magazine most of it is ads. Then you move onto the internet ads loud annoying take up data if you are on a data cap filled to burst with spyware just waiting to exploit something on your system also they are just huge time wasters if you get a unskipable ad on youtube.

And for the people that dislike ad block plus for white listing non intrusive ads you can disable that anytime in the filter preferences.

It is pretty annoying when you are watching anime and there are hentai adds flashing around. So yeah, pro Ad-block.
    Howl to the stars wishing I could be one....

I dont mind adds when they come from the site i'm browsing, and they are integrated into the site safely.

unfortunately there has been many cases of legit websites using 3rd party providers for their adds, serving adds containing viruses, keyloggers and browser hijackers.

I dont trust majority of websites to do a thorough enough security investigation when they employ adds on their websites, and therefore i prefer to use protection such as addblock.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    all for addblock, I might set addblock to allow adds on some sites but never on sites like youtube that are worth a fortune ,they ain't gona starve and disappear if they don't get afew extra bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Those against say adverts slow down their computers and viewing experience and it leads to adware infecting their systems and even making some websites impossible to load. I've experienced this myself before getting adblock installed.
    Pretty much this. When that *isn't* even a remote possibility to get that kind of crap from ads, I'll stop using ad block. Otherwise the website can pay to "fix" my cd. Their adds, their responsibility. They should be held accountable for infecting my pc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    I fail to see a difference in interrupting a TV show for adverts, and what web sites do. It's the same thing - content you're partaking in is stopped, an advert is displayed, and then content partaking resumes.
    When TV show is interrupted you can mute it or change channel, when ads persist 24/7 on website it's like having 24/7 commercials run in a small window while you watch your show.
    If you are talking about youtube or twitch ads - that's fair, you can mute them and go away (i would prefer to close it completely instead of running ads on my pc), but when you have to watch 15 minutes long commercial to watch 7 minute long video - something is fishy
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    When TV show is interrupted you can mute it or change channel, when ads persist 24/7 on website it's like having 24/7 commercials run in a small window while you watch your show
    It's often more like having video with sound and random things moving all over your article when trying to read a newspaper.
    Oh, hi.

Here's my stance. I think adblock should be allowed simply for the fact that too many banner ads are untargetted mass spamming and virus infused filth. This is unacceptable and we should be allowed to curtail it. If the industry would self regulate and limit itself to non intrusive, targeted advertising (think google's ads on gmail), I might feel differently. Until they do, I will fully support adblock.

10+ Year Old Account
    13,754,664 in total

And this is why I use adblock. Thirteen fucking million.
    RIP Breath of Sindragosa - 23/06/2015 - The day fun died.

Well, usually the polls I include myself in on MMOchamp are somewhat tight - often a 10-20% margin. But this at my time of voting:
    I'm for the use of Adblock
    393 96.80%
    I'm against Adblock
    13 3.20%

And naturally I am for the use of adblock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    "Idiocracy" becoming reality in the US, "Planet of the Apes" becoming a reality in Europe.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dusselldorf View Post
    Here's my stance. I think adblock should be allowed simply for the fact that too many banner ads are untargetted mass spamming and virus infused filth. This is unacceptable and we should be allowed to curtail it. If the industry would self regulate and limit itself to non intrusive, targeted advertising (think google's ads on gmail), I might feel differently. Until they do, I will fully support adblock.
    The fun thing is that this regulation is exactly what AdBlock do. Most people see AdBlock as something that will block every ad, but AdBlock does have a whitelist of ads that follow *very* strict guidelines on their content and how it is displayed.
    Oh, hi.

For AdBlock. Ads have become too intrusive on this and many other sites. If I had to navigate those pages with ads, I would simply stop visiting them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine the world 300 years later, when you walk on the street, and every few seconds a large metallic banner with screaming sound emerges from the ground and hits you hard in the face. That's about how bad adblock free Internet browsing is nowadays. I'm not willing to support streamers who show me the ads instead of the actual content. If they just want my money, they can introduce subscription costing a couple bucks a month - I will happily pay that much to my favorite streamers who have given me dozens hours of enjoyable watching.

Also, might be just me, but never in my lifetime have I bought anything because of an ad - actually, I didn't buy many things because of those annoying ads. I remember, back when I lived in Moscow in early 2000s and ADSL Internet was becoming popular, there were 4 main Internet providers in my area. One of them had the fastest plans - however their ads were so widespread and annoying that, when we were choosing the provider, we dismissed this one immediately, deciding that they wouldn't advertise something so bad if it was good on its own.

There are many efficient ways to trick people into paying money, and direct advertisement is one of the worst ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Block all the ads, seriously websites and advertisement have brought this upon themselves. The internet is filled to the brim with advertisement, often times screaming and playing stuff or even opening new sites without something like Adblock. Heck there's this annoying video ad thing on some wikis that has an ad before it plays it's ad and you're unable to even mute it till the first one played as you haven't reached the ad yet. Adception.

Also, might be just me, but never in my lifetime have I bought anything because of an ad - actually, I didn't buy many things because of those annoying ads.
    Same, I've actually avoided buying stuff from certain companies because of this. I've read somewhere that too aggressive advertisement aswell as intrusive advertisement can actually have a negative impact on sales. Still they don't learn.

10+ Year Old Account
    I won't be watching youtube anymore if I have to watch adverts, put it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    I won't be watching youtube anymore if I have to watch adverts, put it that way.
    Another similar website will pop up and take their spot if they block adblock.

Deleted
    I've been using ABP for a long time, then switched to AdBlock Edge because of the default whitelist, then switched to uBlock because of the better performance, and now uBlock Origin because of the removal of the per-site switches feature.

Deleted
    For adblock, I am not watching a 3 fucking minute advert just to watch a 2 minute video. I will look elsewhere or just not at all.

Although it's annoying, I won't be so opposed to the 5 second adverts, at least I am given the option to just skip them. But I don't know how adverts make money, so I don't know if the 5 second skip would give the same amount as one without the skip. If it does then by all means force adverts with skip, if that's not the case and they have to force the entire advert down our throats then bye bye youtube.

15+ Year Old Account
    Adblock saved my life.

OT: Not interested in ads , of any kind. Ads on tv? Change the channel. Ads on the internet? Block them. Running 5 ads blocking applications on any site, all the time.
    Browsing MMO-C back in the day was fun, the later years made me install ads blocking applications.

MMO-C is the reason i got adblock, just got too much like 6 months ago and freaking hell the site got faster since.

that said i do disable it on any site i want to support that aint super annoying .... the selected few i follow on youtube and twitch i have it turned off for.