GPU temperature too high when activating 6.1 anti-aliasing

Hi!

Since 6.1 and its new anti-aliasing settings, I've been trying to fiddle with them to search for the one working the best, but I fail to find one that isn't driving my GPU crazy, let me explain.

I have two monitors, an i5-2500K with a good ventirad (idling at 35°C), 12GB of RAM, and an EVGA GTX770 2GB that seems to be hurting since 6.1.

The card is idling at standard temperature of 40°C-ish, however, when starting WoW with anti-aliasing settings, it's getting crazy and gets up to 80°C with the fan desperatly trying to get it to cool off without much success. As soon as I deactivate the settings and get back to the former CSAA/MSAA anti-aliasing settings, it's getting back to 50-57°C.

Now I know a GTX770 isn't the top-notch GPU, but it's still a pretty damn good one, and I have absolutely no issue running GTA V or Witcher 3, while the GPU temperature is still lower than during a WoW session. Drivers are all up-to-date.

Does any of you has an idea of what's driving my GPU mad when activating the 6.1 AA settings? Maybe an option to avoid while having an nVidia card? A counterpart for it? I tried putting the "Optimized settings" from nVidia Experience and it has the same results of getting my GPU to 80°C.
    Signatures in 2018 LUL

80C isn't overly hot for a gpu, you don't have to worry about those temps. Can't really help you beyond giving you piece of mind.

Yeah I know it's not going to do any harm but the fans spinning like crazy over a single AA option is triggering my IT guy debugging mindset.

Plus Summer is coming (©) and that means +5° in the computer's room
    Signatures in 2018 LUL

Deleted
    You got fps capped? If you got a 1080p@60hz monitor like the majority of ppl there is no point going above 60fps. Not that this solves something that might have gone wrong but why having the gpu work high when you don't benefit from it.

Deleted
    Don't use Supersampling. Use MSAA+CMAA. That should be fine and 80°C is definitly hot, but nothing to worry about. I ran my MSI TF GTX770 always around 84-85°C at full-load, because I changed the Fan-Curve so the GPU runs more silent, with a little higher temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    You got fps capped? If you got a 1080p@60hz monitor like the majority of ppl there is no point going above 60fps. Not that this solves something that might have gone wrong but why having the gpu work high when you don't benefit from it.
    Got a 144Hz monitor. So that definitely stresses the GPU a bit more, but as I said it's really coming down to the "new" 6.1 settings. All hail Blizzard and their optimization... (I still remember my old GPU getting crazy while idling in StarCraft 2 menus ...).
    Signatures in 2018 LUL

Deleted
    Mine only gets to about 70c when playing with everything maxed, and it's not anywhere close to capping out fan speed either. I play at 90ish fps though.

15+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like just drivers playing badly with WoW, and I doubt there's much you can do besides turning it off. If you want to, you could download and run MSI Afterburner or some other software that monitors temps, fan speeds and utilization of your GPU and take screenshots when you're running wow with and without the AA settings. We could then dissect the information and see if there's something wrong there.
    I had a cool sig... then photobucket ate my pics and now its borked. :/ oh wells...

Deleted
    Don't think its drivers, i got the gtx770 as well but fps capped and runs pretty cool considering i got 27-28degrees atm in the room.

SSAA or whatever its called is very demanding even for my GTX 970 when I'm in the WoD areas. I'd just use MSAA x4 or x8. There's the whole MFAA thing too but I think that might be only for the 900 series.

Quote Originally Posted by Kortiah View Post
    Got a 144Hz monitor. So that definitely stresses the GPU a bit more, but as I said it's really coming down to the "new" 6.1 settings. All hail Blizzard and their optimization... (I still remember my old GPU getting crazy while idling in StarCraft 2 menus ...).
    Still, cap fps to 60 max and see if it makes any difference.