Deleted

Taking windows 8.1 back to the store

I bought Windows 8.1 for £99 from PC world, but the 64-bit CD does not work. I've tried installing it many times on both of my computers, only to find that it hangs, stalls, freezes at around 60% of the installation. I have tried looking online at their returns policy, but I could not see anything that said CDs/software is non-returnable. However, I phoned them today and a guy said that they would not return software whose seal is broken. I don't think he understood that this software was faulty though.

I do have the receipt.

Were I to return it to the store, will they be obligated to give me a cashback refund? I'm not sure if software is not included in their returns policy you see...

I've had similar issues installing from the CD.

i resolved it by downloading the operating system to a usb drive and installing from that instead

Since you can use the software, use the key then return it even if it worked they don't do it. I know for my install for windows 7 it looked like it froze a few times. The chances of it actually being faulty are EXTREMELY small. How long did you let it sit at 60% cause it will sometimes do that even when it isn't faulty.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on how long ago you bought it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    Since you can use the software, use the key then return it even if it worked they don't do it. I know for my install for windows 7 it looked like it froze a few times. The chances of it actually being faulty are EXTREMELY small. How long did you let it sit at 60% cause it will sometimes do that even when it isn't faulty.
    I can tell you now that the problem is definitely with the 64-bit CD. I tried the 32-bit CD that came with it and that worked first time. I have an i7 processor capable of 64-bit OS and a high end gaming PC. I left it for maybe an hour before I restarted my PC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    It depends on how long ago you bought it.
    Maybe 7 days ago at least.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-refresh-media

Try that

Download the installer ISO, follow the instructions to put it on a USB stick and install from that.

Usually, if you paid for it with cash, they'll return you the money with cash. If you paid with credit card, they'll oftentimes just refund it back to the card.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xygore View Post
    They may give you another copy, take it to PC World.

Quote Originally Posted by Xygore View Post
    I can tell you now that the problem is definitely with the 64-bit CD. I tried the 32-bit CD that came with it and that worked first time. I have an i7 processor capable of 64-bit OS and a high end gaming PC. I left it for maybe an hour before I restarted my PC.

- - - Updated - - -

See if they can give you a replacement 64 bit CD, maybe it's just a bad CD.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know it may just be that disc, and they probably do exchanges.

Though at this point now that you have a valid Windows 8.1 key, you could just install the 10 Tech Preview, which has an ISO available which you can install over USB. It has been pretty solid with minimal issues, and just use that until it releases.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

I have tons of experience playing with operating systems. I'm student so I had Dream Spark, holy shit the number of downloads I fucked around with, not even including Linux, you'd think I was working for microsoft.

Just get an online copy of W8.1, burn it to your own CD or USB, load it up, and use the product key that came from on your CD case. That product key is what really matters.

W10 is about to be a free upgrade for 7/8/8.1 users anyway and I'm trying to make $$ from that. It's in my best interest if you get this to work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    You know it may just be that disc, and they probably do exchanges.

Though at this point now that you have a valid Windows 8.1 key, you could just install the 10 Tech Preview, which has an ISO available which you can install over USB. It has been pretty solid with minimal issues, and just use that until it releases.
    ...But then microsoft will deactive the preview and he'll have no OS. Unless you want him to buy W10 lol.

i actually have W10 preview on a virtual machine for testing Visual Studio 2015 and it's usable like Korgoth said. I'd still try to download your 8.1 though. prob easier to download the 8.1 than it is to return an open CD case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I have tons of experience playing with operating systems. I'm student so I had Dream Spark, holy shit the number of downloads I fucked around with, not even including Linux, you'd think I was working for microsoft.

Just get an online copy of W8.1, burn it to your own CD or USB, load it up, and use the product key that came from on your CD case. That product key is what really matters.

W10 is about to be a free upgrade for 7/8/8.1 users anyway and I'm trying to make $$ from that. It's in my best interest if you get this to work.

- - - Updated - - -

...But then microsoft will deactive the preview and he'll have no OS. Unless you want him to buy W10 lol.

i actually have W10 preview on a virtual machine for testing Visual Studio 2015 and it's usable like Korgoth said. I'd still try to download your 8.1 though. prob easier to download the 8.1 than it is to return an open CD case.
    Pretty sure they announced a little while ago that you will be able to go from the Tech Preview straight to a retail version without having to reinstall.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong with the CD. Windows installer is just quite glitchy. You can try a new CD of course, but the problem is probably somewhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

people still use the cd to install the os?

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, found the real solution.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...oduct-key-only

If you bought Windows 8.1 or Windows 8, you can download and install Windows from this page using just your product key. You'll have the option to install Windows now, later, or using media with an ISO file.
    Should be able to get an ISO of Windows 8.1 from Microsoft by using this tool and having a product key.

Then its just a matter of getting it on a USB stick. They probably provide a means, but if they don't I like YUMI for creating USB install drives. http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-mu...t-usb-creator/

Its pretty straight forward.