Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[MW] Revival Tracker, new Mistweaver addon

I made an addon to help with Mistweaver Revival efficiency:

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/revival-tracker

The basic idea is it shows you a percentage of how efficient your Revival would be if you cast it right now. It has some other useful stuff like tracking how long you've been holding onto your Revival without using it(shown at the top with a + sign) to help you use it more often.

If anyone tries it out, please let me know if you run into any bugs! Any feedback would be appreciated.

Edit:
    Some planned additions:
    - A report after combat of how efficient your Revivals were, missed opportunities, how many more Revival casts you could have squeezed in, etc.
    - With the upcoming range nerf on Revival, I'm looking into implementing a range check for party/raid members when calculating the efficiency and estimated total healing
    Last edited by Seldoncrisis; 2015-05-26 at 10:28 PM.

I love it, will be trying it tonight
    Mistweaver Monk |
    "Those who lead through fear only stay in power while those they govern lack courage." ~ Lorewalker Cho

7+ Year Old Account
    I personally won't be using it. We have no non-MW throughput healers, so I use Revival when I'm told to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Brolibear!
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Ladies know and love his caaaaaause! It is the Panda with the Chainsaw claaaaaws!

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Date: 2015-05-26 17:45:25
    ID: 1
    Error occured in: Global
    Count: 1
    attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'revivalAmount' (a nil value)
    Debug:
    RevivalTracker\Core.lua:425: Update()
    RevivalTracker\Core.lua:407: ?()
    ...ibDataBroker\CallbackHandler\CallbackHandler-1.0.lua:145:
    ...ibDataBroker\CallbackHandler\CallbackHandler-1.0.lua:145
    [string "safecall Dispatcher[3]"]:4:
    [string "safecall Dispatcher[3]"]:4
    [C]: ?
    [string "safecall Dispatcher[3]"]:13: ?()
    ...ibDataBroker\CallbackHandler\CallbackHandler-1.0.lua:90: Fire()
    ...ace\AddOns\Bagnon\libs\AceEvent-3.0\AceEvent-3.0.lua:52:
    ...ace\AddOns\Bagnon\libs\AceEvent-3.0\AceEvent-3.0.lua:51

I get this error when switching to Windwalker

Its not showing up anywhere in my UI

Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    I personally won't be using it. We have no non-MW throughput healers, so I use Revival when I'm told to use it.
    why comment? basically a +1 post
    Mistweaver Monk |
    "Those who lead through fear only stay in power while those they govern lack courage." ~ Lorewalker Cho

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buildapanda View Post

why comment? basically a +1 post
    Sorry, I didn't realise you were the only person allowed to post negative comments anywhere, and positive comments in agreement with OP are the only comments allowed for anyone else.

I posted a comment stating I don't need the addon, you posted a comment saying you love the addon and you'll use it.

Sorry for discussing things on a forum used primarily for discussion, I won't do it again. /s
    Brolibear!
    Ladies know and love his caaaaaause! It is the Panda with the Chainsaw claaaaaws!

Quote Originally Posted by Java View Post
    Date: 2015-05-26 17:45:25
    ID: 1
    Error occured in: Global
    Count: 1
    attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'revivalAmount' (a nil value)
    Debug:
    RevivalTracker\Core.lua:425: Update()
    RevivalTracker\Core.lua:407: ?()
    ...ibDataBroker\CallbackHandler\CallbackHandler-1.0.lua:145:
    ...ibDataBroker\CallbackHandler\CallbackHandler-1.0.lua:145
    [string "safecall Dispatcher[3]"]:4:
    [string "safecall Dispatcher[3]"]:4
    [C]: ?
    [string "safecall Dispatcher[3]"]:13: ?()
    ...ibDataBroker\CallbackHandler\CallbackHandler-1.0.lua:90: Fire()
    ...ace\AddOns\Bagnon\libs\AceEvent-3.0\AceEvent-3.0.lua:52:
    ...ace\AddOns\Bagnon\libs\AceEvent-3.0\AceEvent-3.0.lua:51

I get this error when switching to Windwalker
    Thanks, this should be fixed in the next version

If you type /rt, /revivaltracker, or go into the Interface options -> Revival Tracker, can you change the background and border texture/colors and see if that helps?

I think I know what might be happening. Gonna try to fix it, I'll get back to you! Thanks for finding this

---

I just ran H BRF with it tonight and it was pretty awesome, saw a significant improvement. As discussed above, it's not always the best idea to use Revival when the addon says it's efficient, especially if your raid needs it for a specific part of a boss fight.

It is interesting to just watch it throughout a fight though, gives you a better feel for how the raid takes damage overall.

I got it working op, had to reload. /rt doesn't work though as that's the letters for exorsus raid tools.
    Sorry, I didn't realise you were the only person allowed to post negative comments anywhere, and positive comments in agreement with OP are the only comments allowed for anyone else.

I posted a comment stating I don't need the addon, you posted a comment saying you love the addon and you'll use it.

Sorry for discussing things on a forum used primarily for discussion, I won't do it again. /s
    But this literally has no effect on your life, has nothing to do with blizzard, your enjoyment of the game(which i post negatively about sometimes) it's literally you just saying I'm not going to use it. there is a lot of things in life I don't do, yet I don't go around telling people i don't do things, cause shocker, I don't believe I'm a special snowflake.
    Last edited by Buildapanda; 2015-05-27 at 02:45 AM.
    Mistweaver Monk |

7+ Year Old Account
    I got it working op, had to reload. /rt doesn't work though as that's the letters for exorsus raid tools.

But this literally has no effect on your life, has nothing to do with blizzard, your enjoyment of the game(which i post negatively about sometimes) it's literally you just saying I'm not going to use it. there is a lot of things in life I don't do, yet I don't go around telling people i don't do things, cause shocker, I don't believe I'm a special snowflake.
    You try and start arguments with people almost every time I see you comment, and harrass people when they disagree with your opinions, yet you're against bullying and harrassment. You're also harrassing me now. Get your head out of your ass.

Sorry for OT.
    Brolibear!

You try and start arguments with people almost every time I see you comment, and harrass people when they disagree with your opinions, yet you're against bullying and harrassment. You're also harrassing me now. Get your head out of your ass.

Sorry for OT.
    Discussing etiquette = / = fighting or harassment. I typed 1 line saying you +1 and you got really defensive. chill.
    Mistweaver Monk |

7+ Year Old Account
    Discussing etiquette = / = fighting or harassment. I typed 1 line saying you +1 and you got really defensive. chill.
    I explained my reasoning for posting, and you had a rant on how it had no effect on my life. I was posting my opinion, and you questioned it like I was objectively wrong because I didn't say the same thing you did. So I repeat, pull your head out of your ass.
    Brolibear!

Deleted
    Useful for padding on farm I guess

There's a new version out, I changed the slash command to /revt so it doesn't conflict with Exorcus Raid Tools and hopefully the bugs mentioned above should be fixed, along with some better combat detection.

Another thing I want to add is an option where crit/multistrike are factored into the estimated healing. This would hopefully help minimize overheal with it. This is dangerous though as it's relying on statistics and RNG, so it would strictly be an optional feature.

Quote Originally Posted by spinandwin View Post
    Take from it what you will, different people will get different mileage out of it. Our raid group's Revival use is up to our discretion and often times we just forget to use it or hold onto it for too long(i.e. holding onto it for 3+ minutes can be bad since you could have used it and had it back up again).

Is that just padding numbers? Maybe, but effective healing is effective healing--it means more mana in healer's pockets, more attention they can devote to the people who need it, etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by spinandwin View Post
    This

Looking for Efficiency is really ugly when thinking about such a powerful CD as Revival.

If you think you need it, just use it.
    Then if you really need it AND you dont have, rethink your decision making and if there is no real solution, live with it.
    its part of the process of getting a good MW.

If you have not used it in a whole fight you prob. didnt really need it or you just have to learn using it more agressive.
    See a lot of people dropping during a movement phase? Pop it.
    There is a big burst incoming and some people are low? - Use it.

Dont look at numbers just because it may heal more at different times.
    Using it early and often is most of the time better than holding it for efficiency reason...
    Not to mention that most times a Revival is not part of the regular Heal CD Rotation using Hymn, Totem, Tranq etc just because its instant and can

I have uses Revival to save 3-4 people countless times and never regret it. Was it "efficent" in the way of getting high numbers?
    Nope, yet it was worth the CD every time.

And no, effective healing is not "effective" healing in terms of helpful healing in every case.
    Every class has ways of healing up the group with cheap spells that dont really cost much mana.
    If there is no raid wide damage incoming in the next couple of seconds, there is no need to pull a heal CD most of the time.

Using such addons will not shape your decision making in a good way.
    Healers should never look at the numbers only, but make sure you are doing a good job.

Also overheal is not bad... as long as you are not OOM at the end of a fight, dont even think about OOM too much,

Yeah, I mean there is always a case for clutch healing. If there's 3 people about to die I'll use Revival just to save them if I can, sure.

I mean ultimately, you decide when to use Revival. This isn't telling you how to use it any more than healing meters are telling you how to heal.

Deleted
    Let me use other words.

I has an impact on your decision making.
    Its up to you, what you take from it.

But for less experienced MW, it may not be a good impact.
    Because thats what i thought at the beginning of WoD, where i started monk'ing my way up in Highmaul: It can result in high numbers, so it should have high numbers, ignoring that the raid has plenty of time until the next damage is dealt and there is no need to insta heal 20 people up.
    I was literally trying to snipe those moments were the raid was down at 50% health and i could use a Revival at 20 men, best with some sort of Procc, padding the meters.

But Healer is still the role you have to be the most aware of your surroundings, the pattern of the fight and decision making.
    Most of it comes along with more fights and being forced to make different decisions (ex. let somebody die to save another one etc.), gaining EXP over the time.

Not saying that addon is useless, but it will lead to some questionable decisions especially for new Mistweavers.

Yeah, that's true. But at the same time, it can also help new MWs get a feeling for how powerful this spell actually is, and get a better "feel" for when to use it.

For a new MW, not using Revival at all might be worse than using it whenever the raid health drops. That way it's a lot more obvious when you end up in a situation where you really need it and it's on cooldown, and you think "damn I wish I saved my Revival for this moment".

I think that kind of situation will help a new MW get a better "feeling" of when to use and when not to use Revival. Mistakes are how we learn after all

It would be cool if it made a graph at the end of the fight showing the efficiency through out the fight. Not sure how someone would use it but graphs are fun.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slakos View Post
    It would be cool if it made a graph at the end of the fight showing the efficiency through out the fight. Not sure how someone would use it but graphs are fun.
    Do you work in accounting?

Thanks for the feedback, I'm looking into adding a display that you can bring up after combat to show graphs of raid health over time, your Revival points, ideal Revival points, etc.

Also, there's a new version out:

- Added options to include crit and multistrike in estimation
    - Added range check for Revival
    - Added count of members in range on bottom text