Thread: Dbm?

10+ Year Old Account

Dbm?

Do people still use DBM, or is there a better, lighter replacement? I haven't really found anything as robust as DBM, but man is it a resource hog...
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Yes I still use dbm could also try BigWigs but doubt there is much difference in resources

Resource hog in what way? Memory usage is irrelevant. And cpu usage is quite low on my machine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feuerbart View Post
    Resource hog in what way? Memory usage is irrelevant. And cpu usage is quite low on my machine.
    Loading times. When I disable JUST DBM, my loading times drop to about 5 seconds. With DBM active, it goes up to about 15 seconds. It also takes WoW about 20 seconds to actually exit completely when I close it down.

In lieu of buying a SSD, I'm trying to see what I can cut and/or change to make my loads better.

On top of that, I know DBM has been around for freaking ever, and was just wondering if someone had made a more 'updated' better version of it. Many of the addons I had in Vanilla/BC/etc either stopped working or got replaced with something better at some point, but DBM seems to just keep on going.
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

So you only have "problems" in insignificant times? I´d say ignore it then.

An ssd is phantastic no matter what.

But if loading dbm takes 10 seconds maybe there is a bug in it somewhere. It didn´t do this not so long ago. But I will check if it does on my machine too. I´ve been having longer loading times some time too now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Loading times. When I disable JUST DBM, my loading times drop to about 5 seconds. With DBM active, it goes up to about 15 seconds. It also takes WoW about 20 seconds to actually exit completely when I close it down.

In lieu of buying a SSD, I'm trying to see what I can cut and/or change to make my loads better.

On top of that, I know DBM has been around for freaking ever, and was just wondering if someone had made a more 'updated' better version of it. Many of the addons I had in Vanilla/BC/etc either stopped working or got replaced with something better at some point, but DBM seems to just keep on going.
    Maybe because it's being developed actively?
    It's not the same addon that's been there since TBC, you know that right?

Post your issue here: http://forums.elitistjerks.com/forum...p-and-support/
    They might be able to help you

I personally find BigWigs to be much better than DBM in pretty much every aspect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarob22 View Post
    I personally find BigWigs to be much better than DBM in pretty much every aspect.
    Any particular reason?

Now, I should mention that I'm not a raider. I mostly use it for the offchance it's needed in dungeons, and i like the warnings when running old-world raids. I know it isn't direly important at that point, so I may just uninstall it completely.

Any particular reason?

Now, I should mention that I'm not a raider. I mostly use it for the offchance it's needed in dungeons, and i like the warnings when running old-world raids. I know it isn't direly important at that point, so I may just uninstall it completely.
    It's faster, consumes less resources, is better updated, is generally the first to produce new features which become mandatory in other mods later.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    just try a raid without dbm. then do a few more raids, and then feel free to tell me why you need it.

though im using GTFO addon.
    Having timers helps you plan ahead, something you NEED to do for optimal play. Using an addon to say "hey idiot you're in fire" isn't the same.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Do people still use DBM, or is there a better, lighter replacement? I haven't really found anything as robust as DBM, but man is it a resource hog...
    BigWigs undoubtedly blows DBM out of the water if all you do is raids, for dungeons DBM is probably better as BigWigs does not really care too much about those and you would need to download LittleWigs. If performance is a big issue then get BigWigs and Littlewigs as it uses far less resources.
    Retired in WoD

DBM is still very much active in terms of updates. Bigwigs tends to roll updates earlier during content release and it has a lot more options for customization.

However unless you test stuff on ptr/beta dbm is going to have all the mechanics etc. showing. Personally, I use Bigwigs but DBM is pretty decent too.

Quote Originally Posted by suprep View Post
    BigWigs undoubtedly blows DBM out of the water if all you do is raids, for dungeons DBM is probably better as BigWigs does not really care too much about those and you would need to download LittleWigs. If performance is a big issue then get BigWigs and Littlewigs as it uses far less resources.
    Because BigWigs is trying to be just one thing, a Raid Encounter Mod.
    DBM is trying to be a bit of everything with dungeons, battlegrounds, etc.
    That isn't a bad thing if that is what you want from it though.

My preference is BigWigs, LittleWigs, and Capping for battlegrounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

New DBM update to customize raid warnings and timers looks pretty cool though. Will be checking it out for sure even though I'm currently using Bigwigs.

Big wigs is definately less maintenance and gives you lots of information, you could also try using VEM as an alternative to DBM which has a few more features than DBM and has a voice narrate where to go etc, but that will consume the same if not more than DBM as far as memory and what not. All else fails blizzard actually has a good bit of stock warnings for bosses, so if you don't raid lead or raid too hard core that would be just fine.
    Twitch Twitter Signature by Winter Blossom

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonfell View Post
    you could also try using VEM as an alternative to DBM
    VEM was a modified, outdated version of DBM. It was discontinued, but you can now use voicepacks with DBM proper -- including the "VEM" voicepack -- to get the same effect. Plus, y'know, it actually stays up to date.